WT Player Recruitment & Retention for 2019

@Cultured_Bogan said in [WT Player Recruitment & Retention for 2019](/post/28911) said:
Following on from Milky's thread for 2018, I've thrown together a thread for 2019\. Years quoted in brackets are the final year of the players contract.

All the contract details were taken from the club site so it should all be right, but let me know if it's wrong.

**Off Contract:**

- Benji Marshall
- Chris Lawrence
- Jacob Liddle
- Josh Aloiai
- Mahe Fonua
- Robbie Farah
- Robbie Rochow

**Losses:**

- Kevin Naqiama (St. Helens)
- Malakai Watene-Zelezniak (Penrith)
- Matt McIlwrick (Souths)
- Pita Godinet (Contract not offered)
- Sauaso Sue (Canterbury)
- Tim Grant (Penrith)
- Tuimoala Lolohea (Leeds)
- Tyson Gamble (released)

**Re-Signed:**

- Corey Thompson (2021)
- Luke Brooks (2023)
- Luke Garner (2020)
- Michael Chee-Kam (2021)
- Thomas Mikaele (2021)

**Signed:**

- Oliver Clark (2020)
- Robert Jennings (2020)
- Paul Momirovski (2020)
- Ryan Matterson (2021)
- Zane Musgrove* (2021)

**Signed Beyond 2019:**

- Alex Twal (2020)
- Ben Matulino (2020)
- Chris McQueen (2020)
- David Nofoaluma (2021)
- Dylan Smith (2020)
- Elijah Taylor (2020)
- Esan Marsters (2020)
- Josh Reynolds (2021)
- Matt Eisenhuth (2020)
- Moses Mbye (2022)
- Russell Packer (2021)
- Sam McIntyre (2020)

**Development:**

- Alex Seyfarth
- Jock Madden
- Kane Bradley
- Tommy Talau

**Top 30:**

1\. Alex Twal
2\. Ben Matulino
3\. Benji Marshall
4\. Chris Lawrence
5\. Chris McQueen
6\. Corey Thompson
7\. David Nofoaluma
8\. Dylan Smith
9\. Elijah Taylor
10\. Esan Marsters
11\. Jacob Liddle
12\. Josh Aloiai
13\. Josh Reynolds
14\. Luke Brooks
15\. Luke Garner
16\. Mahe Fonua
17\. Matt Eisenhuth
18\. Michael Chee Kam
19\. Moses Mbye
20\. Oliver Clark
21\. Paul Momirovski
22\. Robbie Farah
23\. Robbie Rochow
24\. Russell Packer
25\. Ryan Matterson
26\. Sam McIntyre
27\. Thomas Mikaele
28\. Robert Jennings
29\. *
30\. **

*Yet to be announced replacement for Tyson Gamble
**Yet to be announced replacement for Zane Musgrove

Prop and halve short..so in line Wests Tigers will prolly sign or promote a winger and a back rower..

It's how we roll...

@happy_tiger said in [WT Player Recruitment & Retention for 2019](/post/1028553) said:
So Talau and Seyfarth aren't official yet ??

Nothing official from the club yet

Well if anything is gonna happen it will be in the next 48 hrs, literally.

Moving forward I’m fairly confident we are not that far off a really good squad. For all the angst and outrage (me included), we are currently 8th.
If we could fill the ?????? With quality players, the rest of the top 17 as I’ve indicated below, I think, would more than do their job.
I’ll add that Reynolds is a short term option therefore a back up 5/8 is also needed.

Thompson
Nofoaluma
Mbye
Marsters
??????
Reynolds
Brooks
Twal
Liddle
???????
Matterson
Lawrence
?????????

Mikaele
Cheekam
Aloiai
???????

@Tiger_Steve Do you think we could add some pace in Bradley and Smith to the wings and save some money?

@pawsandclaws1 said in [WT Player Recruitment & Retention for 2019](/post/1028625) said:
@Tiger_Steve Do you think we could add some pace in Bradley and Smith to the wings and save some money?

Yeah I was thinking the backline was still a bit slow so - yes I think so. I’m happy with our centres but if a speedster who can tackle was available.......

@pawsandclaws1 said in [WT Player Recruitment & Retention for 2019](/post/1028625) said:

I'd bring them on one at a time. Once one nails a spot the other can have a crack. Then if they both show the goods we might be in a position to move on Nofo or Jennings.

@Tiger_Steve said in [WT Player Recruitment & Retention for 2019](/post/1028600) said:
Moving forward I’m fairly confident we are not that far off a really good squad. For all the angst and outrage (me included), we are currently 8th.
If we could fill the ?????? With quality players, the rest of the top 17 as I’ve indicated below, I think, would more than do their job.
I’ll add that Reynolds is a short term option therefore a back up 5/8 is also needed.

Thompson
Nofoaluma
Mbye
Marsters
??????
Reynolds
Brooks
Twal
Liddle
???????
Matterson
Lawrence
?????????

Mikaele
Cheekam
Aloiai
???????

Im the same. I really dont think we are far off.

If i was recruiting id be looking for a quality fullback, a hard nosed prop, an organising half back and perhaps a class centre.

This is who i have locked in. I love Mybe in the centres. Thompson back to the wing. Brooks to his real position and Marsters to progress to the back row.

2.Thompson
4.Mybe
5.Bradley
6. Brooks
12.Matterson
11. Lawrence
10.Twal
9. Liddle
8. Matulino

14. Marsters
15. Mikale
16. Aloiai
17. Chee Kam

@Tiger_Steve said in [WT Player Recruitment & Retention for 2019](/post/1028600) said:

Thompson
Nofoaluma
Mbye
Marsters
??????
Reynolds
Brooks
Twal
Liddle
???????
Matterson
Lawrence
?????????

Mikaele
Cheekam
Aloiai
???????

Consolidating what I've said in a few other posts I would say Welch as the prop, Ese'ese for lock and Cust as the backup 5/8. If we could move Packer, ET and McQueen on that should give us the cap space to make those signings, although the odds of us landing 3 targets out of 3 would be very slim...Promote backs from within to fill the wing.

I think we'd have a good and versatile pack with:
8. Welch
10. Ese'ese
11. Lawrence
12. Matterson
13. Twal
14. Matulino
15. Mikaele
16. Aloiai
17. MCK

Lots of impact up the middle with Mikaele, Aloiai, Ese'ese and Welch and that would suit our small, speedy support players like Thompson, Brooks, Liddle and Mbye. It's a type of pack and a style of play that Maguire has had success with in the past.

@The_Patriot said in [WT Player Recruitment & Retention for 2019](/post/1028644) said:

Thompson
Nofoaluma
Mbye
Marsters
??????
Reynolds
Brooks
Twal
Liddle
???????
Matterson
Lawrence
?????????

Mikaele
Cheekam
Aloiai
???????

If i was recruiting id be looking for a quality fullback, a hard nosed prop, an organising half back and perhaps a class centre.

This is who i have locked in. I love Mybe in the centres. Thompson back to the wing. Brooks to his real position and Marsters to progress to the back row.

2.Thompson
4.Mybe
5.Bradley
6. Brooks
12.Matterson
11. Lawrence
10.Twal
9. Liddle
8. Matulino

14. Marsters
15. Mikale
16. Aloiai
17. Chee Kam

I just watched last night thinking these guys are ok. We just lack some penetration. Everything else is there. Of course being able to say that each week remains a problem.
I’m a Brooks fan but I’m starting to become a believer that he is a 6 - or a 9 maybe???

@Tiger_Steve said in [WT Player Recruitment & Retention for 2019](/post/1028650) said:
@The_Patriot said in [WT Player Recruitment & Retention for 2019](/post/1028644) said:

Thompson
Nofoaluma
Mbye
Marsters
??????
Reynolds
Brooks
Twal
Liddle
???????
Matterson
Lawrence
?????????

Mikaele
Cheekam
Aloiai
???????

2.Thompson
4.Mybe
5.Bradley
6. Brooks
12.Matterson
11. Lawrence
10.Twal
9. Liddle
8. Matulino

14. Marsters
15. Mikale
16. Aloiai
17. Chee Kam

I just watched last night thinking these guys are ok. We just lack some penetration. Everything else is there. Of course being able to say that each week remains a problem.
I’m a Brooks fan but I’m starting to become a believer that he is a 6 - or a 9 maybe???

His defence is very good these days, but an organising half he is not.

We need a good halfback (Scott Prince, where are you?), a couple of centres ( Marsters has lost it), and a prop or two. Thompson is playing ok, but can we get Teddy back please.

There may be some players in England who could help. There is absolutely nothing coming through our lower grades.

@colinbh
From our top thirty the following are unsigned for next year
ROBBIE
BENJI
CHRIS LAWRENCE
LIDDLE
ROCHOW
We need quality backs the following are off contract this year according to Zero Tackle
Coret Oates
Kurt Capewell
Brad Parker
Dylan Walker (not sure if he & Madge get on)
Mawene Hiroti Bunnies (Aust Schoolboy)
Do we look to move on
REYNOLDS
PACKER
MATOLINO
or suck it ip for another 12 mths
THOUGHTS

@Elderslie_Tiger mate we have been looking to move on all those guys but they aren’t worth near their contract amounts. We are stuck with these plodders for the next two seasons. They would already be gone otherwise - have been on the market for weeks!

G'day @Roar_Power: if what you say is what actually happens, all I can say is 'what a depressing thought', but I bloody hope you're wrong, cheers mate :relaxed:

Well guys correct me if I’m wrong but I thought this tread was a red flag when someone actually joined our roster. Now it seems all of the sudden it’s becoming another chit chat about wish lists and never never signings. We have a thread for that!

Updated to reflect Aloiai and Liddle re-signing with the club.

Five off-contract players, Benji almost certain to resign. Lawrence unknown. Farah, Fonua and Rochow to be moved on.

Likely leaving 3-4 spare spots for next year, with a $330K cap penalty.

Latest posts

Members online

Back