WT Player Recruitment & Retention for 2019

Cultured_Bogan

Forum Leader
Following on from Milky's thread for 2018, I've thrown together a thread for 2019\. Years quoted in brackets are the final year of the players contract.

All the contract details were taken from the club site so it should all be right, but let me know if it's wrong.

**Off Contract:**

- Benji Marshall
- Chris Lawrence
- Mahe Fonua
- Robbie Farah
- Robbie Rochow

**Losses:**

- Kevin Naqiama (St. Helens)
- Malakai Watene-Zelezniak (Penrith)
- Matt McIlwrick (Souths)
- Pita Godinet (Contract not offered)
- Sauaso Sue (Canterbury)
- Tim Grant (Penrith)
- Tuimoala Lolohea (Leeds)
- Tyson Gamble (released)

**Re-Signed:**

- Corey Thompson (2021)
- Jacob Liddle (2021)
- Josh Aloiai (2021)
- Luke Brooks (2023)
- Luke Garner (2020)
- Michael Chee-Kam (2021)
- Thomas Mikaele (2021)

**Signed:**

- Oliver Clark (2020)
- Robert Jennings (2020)
- Paul Momirovski (2020)
- Ryan Matterson (2021)

**Signed Beyond 2019:**

- Alex Twal (2020)
- Ben Matulino (2020)
- Chris McQueen (2020)
- David Nofoaluma (2021)
- Dylan Smith (2020)
- Elijah Taylor (2020)
- Esan Marsters (2020)
- Josh Reynolds (2021)
- Matt Eisenhuth (2020)
- Moses Mbye (2022)
- Russell Packer (2021)
- Sam McIntyre (2020)

**Development:**

- Alex Seyfarth (promoted to top 30)
- Jock Madden
- Kane Bradley
- Tommy Talau (promoted to top 30)

**Top 30:**

1\. Alex Twal
2\. Ben Matulino
3\. Benji Marshall
4\. Chris Lawrence
5\. Chris McQueen
6\. Corey Thompson
7\. David Nofoaluma
8\. Dylan Smith
9\. Elijah Taylor
10\. Esan Marsters
11\. Jacob Liddle
12\. Josh Aloiai
13\. Josh Reynolds
14\. Luke Brooks
15\. Luke Garner
16\. Mahe Fonua
17\. Matt Eisenhuth
18\. Michael Chee Kam
19\. Moses Mbye
20\. Oliver Clark
21\. Paul Momirovski
22\. Robbie Farah
23\. Robbie Rochow
24\. Russell Packer
25\. Ryan Matterson
26\. Sam McIntyre
27\. Thomas Mikaele
28\. Robert Jennings
29\. Tommy Talau
30\. Alex Seyfarth

I think the club should be looking to extend Marsters contract to 2022 prior to the end of the 2019 season - if he continues his improvement he will definitely be in the sights of a lot clubs next November.

My predictions

You can put a pen through Marshall, Farah and Rochow for 2020.

Gamble, MCK, Fonua, Mikaele and Aloiai will depend on whether Madge sees them as his kind of players

Lawrence, Thompson and Liddle will be offered new deals.

@ said:
I think the club should be looking to extend Marsters contract to 2022 prior to the end of the 2019 season - if he continues his improvement he will definitely be in the sights of a lot clubs next November.

I cant imagine Maguire letting him go easily especially after his performances with the kiwis

@ said:
My predictions

Gamble, MCK, Fonua, Mikaele and Aloiai will depend on whether Madge sees them as his kind of players

I think your on point GNR

Only thing is you cant do all the squad at once so we would more than likely hedge our bets with the younger guys

@ said:
My predictions

I predict maybe one at most of the off contract players will be signed on again… that batch of players leaving will be the catalyst for the club to go to the next level with an influx of quality players taking the club to top 4 Imo .
The foundation will be laid next season then the major recruitment will happen that is what I see.

We need to replace what we're signing though. Thompson would probably come cheap, and he's handy as a back up fullback, Liddle will be resigned if the Pom is on the money and Lawrence will probably play for a modest contract as long as it is not insulting.

Aloiai may get another gig if he improves. Can't see the rest being resigned. Maybe Mikaele on a base contract (you need 30 players so getting near on minimum contract won't kill us.)

I hope he comes good, but if not, some arrangement should be made for McQueen to move on and free up a spot in the roster.

@ said:
We need to replace what we're signing though. Thompson would probably come cheap, and he's handy as a back up fullback, Liddle will be resigned if the Pom is on the money and Lawrence will probably play for a modest contract as long as it is not insulting.

Aloiai may get another gig if he improves. Can't see the rest being resigned. Maybe Mikaele on a base contract (you need 30 players so getting near on minimum contract won't kill us.)

I am looking forward to seeing Mikaele get his chance under the new regime.I feel he will flourish and become an integral member of our squad.

We are in a pretty good position, considering. No player on the Losses list that we should have kept. The guys off contract are mostly needing to go apart from perhaps Lawrence and Thompson, with Liddle, Aloiai, and Mikaele to prove themselves.

Clark and McQueen perhaps two we could improve on but their contracted so that may be too difficult.

@ said:
@ said:

I am looking forward to seeing Mikaele get his chance under the new regime.I feel he will flourish and become an integral member of our squad.

I also see a big future for Mikaele, need to stay close to him so he’s not lured away…

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

I also see a big future for Mikaele, need to stay close to him so he’s not lured away…

Seems to be in the Madge mould physically. Might get a run this year if he has the right attitude.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

x2

Im looking forward to see the likes of Smith and Mikaele in action. gonna be good :righton:

Latest posts

Members online

Back