WT's forwards lack skill !!!!

gatorman

Great effort put in by the boys tonight for a nailbiting win,

However once again our forwards gained very little ground for the effort they put in.

Multiple times I counted 3 tackles virtually on the same spot basically caused by player continually angling back in at the multiple markers and generally getting belted.

Has anybody had the brains to tell them that the idea is to run at gaps or use the ball to create space and opportunities.

WT's are called "an entertaining side" but at least 50% of our play is boring one out running at the markers for most times little gain.

Sheens was a frontplayer but has not instilled skill into our pack. They play well in open play but have absolutely no idea how to use the ball and space to create opportunities.

Sheens can head right out the door as far as I am concerned. !!!!

i disagree, sure a few sets our guys got caught out a bit close to our try line but all teams go through this.. i think most the forwards stood up well

ur having a good ol whinge tonight Gatorman?

first marshall, now the forwards.

What a croc (pun intended). We have one of the more skillfull packs in the NRL. The Titans defense tonight was awesome. They were in our faces. Yet, the likes of Heighno, Galloway, Gibba and Payten ran at them all night. Our forwards deserve a very big rap - they won us the game.

@tigh said:
What a croc (pun intended). We have one of the more skillfull packs in the NRL. The Titans defense tonight was awesome. They were in our faces. Yet, the likes of Heighno, Galloway, Gibba and Payten ran at them all night. Our forwards deserve a very big rap - they won us the game.

Mate your dreaming, our pack has Farah and a few others with plenty of ticker but very little in the way of skill or if they do it has been coached out them

The forwards mostly put in in a great effort but play an extremely conservative game with mindless oneout running straight at the markers which is a very low performance play and generally means you get belted as well.

Happened numerous times tonight again.

Oh for a coach who can instill some forward ballrunning !!!.

I see what your saying Gatorman about running back into the ruck but you have to remember that they are following a game plan, for some onkown reason Sheens wants them to do this.
As for their skills mate….they are top notch - Robbie, Fulton, Flanno, Payten could all play in the halves...and Hino has good ball skills as well.

the reason they run back into the markers is so that they force the same play to make 2 and 3 tackles in a row, thus tiring them out quicker and make them use their energy up in defence so they lack it in attack.
the titans line speed was lightening tonight. a few sets in out own half, they were flying up and we were not making big meters at all. thank god benji had a good kicking game tonight and farah was outstanding with muliple touch-finders insode the opposition 10m. this was one of the best games i've seen farah play this year.

I think our forwards are doing the job required and doing what Sheens wants em to do….the current gameplan is grind and considering the constant injuries to our backline, especially the half back department, it seems to be paying off with wins

Our forwards were real good. Galloway was danaging. Gibbs was on fire. Payten was on fire. Fulton was good.

Our forwards are doing well. Even Payten seems to be making metres up the middle instead of getting bent back these days.

I thought the forwards overall stood up tonight. Heighno and Gibbs were awesome. Fulton and Payten good as usual. Galloway improving and getting match fit again after his injury. No complaints here. Sitting third and set to make the finals unless we fall in a heap.

They targetted Minicelle alot and it worked. He was benched very early for a guy who plays his minutes. They also worked over Meyers whose running game was nullified for 90% of the match. All of the props made great metres and they kept targetting Prince which is never a bad thing

Ridiculous thread. The Tigers forwards gained very little ground…Then please explain how Heighington, Galloway, Payten and Gibbs all made more than 100 metres in attack with ease. I'm dying to know how they did that. As for being conservative, well it was the smart thing to do last night after having a completion rate barely above 60% the week before, last night they completed over 80% of their sets and made less than half the number of errors the Titans did. Controlling the ball and dominating possession helped win them the game last night.

Yes, a bit harsh on last nights effort as the forwards played great and won the game and made plenty of metres.

But I do understand Gators frustration. NOT from last night but it does also frustrate me fairly regularly in matches when they make those angled runs back into the traffic - sometimes like its in slow motion - time after time only to get dominated into the bargain. Its easy for me to be an armchair expert and I do realise it can tire defence when done properly, but often it does seem counterproductive; losing momentum and putting pressure on Benji's kick.

As for the skill level, our forwards have shown in the past they can off-load but it doesn't look to be in the game plan at present. The other teams often look to unload like the Titans did a few times late in the game when they got more desperate and we got more tired, and Broncos certainly did the same last week. Of course I'd like to see our big boys try it more often but it can lead to mistakes especially if it not part of the weekly game plan and that would likely be the case for us unfortunately.

I guess we just play it our way?

we have a very skilled forwards pack. quite often though they are directed to run back into markers or certain defenders to perhaps tired them out?

I think our forwards have great skill.

Payten is like a half back in a forwards body. Ellis is very skilled. Flannigan is always looking to offload but no one is there, once McKinnon gets used to these plays tries will be scored. Same with Galloway and also has great go forward. Fulton tackles his heart out and always looks for the gaps in attack. Gibbs not normally an attacking forward but tackles superbly and is the enforcer. Heighington charges forwards and offloads and is great in defence.

Farah is just the best No. 9 in the NRL and ticks ALL the boxes.

The forwards are a great pack and very skilled as well as being well balanced between attack and defence.

Back