2016 Team

fergiefurr

Our 2016 team will have plenty of experience after the majority of the 2015 are still elidgable. I dont know anything aboutthe Ball teams/Keebra recruits so got plenry of gaps:

1\. Papenhuyzen
2\. Karwan
3\. Jacobs
7\. Mapeson
8\. Felisse
9\. Liddle
10\. Tatola
11\. Masters
12\. Sironen
13\. Stone

14\. McCormack
15\. Sokobalava
16\. Seve-Derbas

I think the Wheelhouse boys are available (or at least the hooker) are they twins???
That pack will rip it up. Some of them will spend time in NSW cup I imagine.
I expect McCormack to start and Masters to remain the impact player.

I did see Balmain SG Ball a couple times last year, but cant think of anyone who really grabbed my attention (Papenhuyzen aside who is clearly a star). I dont think I saw Wests at all last year.

Is Marshall King still eligible ??

If not ,I'm pretty sure when I checked on Ryland Jacobs last season I saw he played at 6 in the past ??

@happy tiger said:
Is Marshall King still eligible ??

If not ,I'm pretty sure when I checked on Ryland Jacobs last season I saw he played at 6 in the past ??

JMK is too old next year.

I reckon Jacobs will likely to go wider if anything, cant see him moving to 6\. All the gun juniors spend time in the halves and/or fullback at some stage.

Illawarra connection among new talent

Brock Corfe (Twitter: @Brock_Corfe

Wed 2nd December, 01:30PM
A A

IMG_1285_Fotor
Thomas Bartley at Wests Tigers training
A successful contingent from the Illawarra competition are among a host of new faces in Wests Tigers’ Holden Cup squad for the 2016 season.

While the majority of players come through the Balmain and Western Suburbs pathways into Holden Cup, the Club has recruited a premiership-winning combination from the Illawarra district for the new season.

Thomas Bartley, Samuel DeFiddes and Paul Roberts were part of the Collegians Under 19s side who recorded a 28-22 victory in the Illawarra Under 19s Grand Final over Corrimal last September.

The trio joined Wests Tigers’ pre-season training last month, with each of them having a significant impact for ‘Collies’ in the decider at WIN Stadium.

Bartley was captained the Collegians side, with the five-eighth playing his junior football at the Wollongong-based club and winning a second premiership later that day – backing-up for Reserve Grade.

DeFiddes is primarily a centre who joined the Illawarra competition in 2015, playing his junior football with the Joondalup Giants in Western Australia, and was awarded man-of-the-match in the Grand Final after notching-up two tries.

Roberts is a utility player who can cover a range of positions including hooker, halfback and fullback – the Dapto junior also impressed with a try of his own - with many who watched the game rating him a close second to DeFiddes for man-of-the-match honours.

IMG_1313_Fotor
Samuel DeFiddes was man-of-the-match in the Illawarra Colts Grand Final.
All three players are expected to push for a place in the Wests Tigers’ NYC side for 2016, with a number of regular players from last season now advancing through to the senior grades.

For 19-year-old Bartley, having the ‘Collies connection’ has made his transition to Wests Tigers less daunting.

“We all travel up together in a car-pool to training,” Bartley said. “We take turns driving and paying for petrol – it’s really helpful not having to drive up in the afternoons by yourself to training.

“We all live pretty close to each other down in the Illawarra district and obviously know each other well from Collies.

“I think after winning that competition down there it will really help with combinations up here at Wests Tigers – it’s great to have them here with me.”

The playing squad isn’t the only change in the Holden Cup ranks, with a new-look coaching staff coming on board including Head Coach Willie Peters and Assistant Chris Hutchinson.

Bartley praised the new coaching staff and existing players who have made the new members of the squad feel at home.

“Both Willie and Hutch have been really good and super-welcoming,” Bartley said. “They have been pulling me aside and giving me little tips to help my game.

“They always make time for everyone, getting around and making sure everyone feels welcome, which has made it a really good environment to be around.”

The opposing Corrimal side in the Under 19s Grand Final featured another Wests Tigers recruit in centre Jai Doolan.

Doolan played SG Ball for St George last season, scoring four tries against Wests Magpies in the opening round of the competition and going on to have a consistent season.

Despite a number of players moving up through to the senior grades, Wests Tigers Holden Cup will still have a number of stars from last season available for selection including JJ Felise, Junior Tatola, Pio Sokobalava, Jacob Liddle, Obed Karwhin and Esan Marsters.

It’s shaping up to be another exciting season for the Club’s NYC side, who have made the finals series for the past five consecutive seasons.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2015/12/02/illawarra_connection.html

Hopefully these boys all go well next season. Having grown up in Nowra and played in the Illawarra comp in my late teens, they were always tough sides to play against, it's always been a consistently strong comp.

@Geo. said:
Illawarra connection among new talent

Brock Corfe (Twitter: @Brock_Corfe

Wed 2nd December, 01:30PM
A A

IMG_1285_Fotor
Thomas Bartley at Wests Tigers training
A successful contingent from the Illawarra competition are among a host of new faces in Wests Tigers’ Holden Cup squad for the 2016 season.

While the majority of players come through the Balmain and Western Suburbs pathways into Holden Cup, the Club has recruited a premiership-winning combination from the Illawarra district for the new season.

Thomas Bartley, Samuel DeFiddes and Paul Roberts were part of the Collegians Under 19s side who recorded a 28-22 victory in the Illawarra Under 19s Grand Final over Corrimal last September.

The trio joined Wests Tigers’ pre-season training last month, with each of them having a significant impact for ‘Collies’ in the decider at WIN Stadium.

Bartley was captained the Collegians side, with the five-eighth playing his junior football at the Wollongong-based club and winning a second premiership later that day – backing-up for Reserve Grade.

DeFiddes is primarily a centre who joined the Illawarra competition in 2015, playing his junior football with the Joondalup Giants in Western Australia, and was awarded man-of-the-match in the Grand Final after notching-up two tries.

Roberts is a utility player who can cover a range of positions including hooker, halfback and fullback – the Dapto junior also impressed with a try of his own - with many who watched the game rating him a close second to DeFiddes for man-of-the-match honours.

IMG_1313_Fotor
Samuel DeFiddes was man-of-the-match in the Illawarra Colts Grand Final.
All three players are expected to push for a place in the Wests Tigers’ NYC side for 2016, with a number of regular players from last season now advancing through to the senior grades.

For 19-year-old Bartley, having the ‘Collies connection’ has made his transition to Wests Tigers less daunting.

“We all travel up together in a car-pool to training,” Bartley said. “We take turns driving and paying for petrol – it’s really helpful not having to drive up in the afternoons by yourself to training.

“We all live pretty close to each other down in the Illawarra district and obviously know each other well from Collies.

“I think after winning that competition down there it will really help with combinations up here at Wests Tigers – it’s great to have them here with me.”

The playing squad isn’t the only change in the Holden Cup ranks, with a new-look coaching staff coming on board including Head Coach Willie Peters and Assistant Chris Hutchinson.

Bartley praised the new coaching staff and existing players who have made the new members of the squad feel at home.

“Both Willie and Hutch have been really good and super-welcoming,” Bartley said. “They have been pulling me aside and giving me little tips to help my game.

“They always make time for everyone, getting around and making sure everyone feels welcome, which has made it a really good environment to be around.”

The opposing Corrimal side in the Under 19s Grand Final featured another Wests Tigers recruit in centre Jai Doolan.

Doolan played SG Ball for St George last season, scoring four tries against Wests Magpies in the opening round of the competition and going on to have a consistent season.

Despite a number of players moving up through to the senior grades, Wests Tigers Holden Cup will still have a number of stars from last season available for selection including JJ Felise, Junior Tatola, Pio Sokobalava, Jacob Liddle, Obed Karwhin and Esan Marsters.

It’s shaping up to be another exciting season for the Club’s NYC side, who have made the finals series for the past five consecutive seasons.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2015/12/02/illawarra_connection.html

Can WD in Perth give us some info on young Samuel Defiddes ??

His young fella played for Joondalup Giants last season

@happy tiger said:

http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25506&p=649762&hilit=Samuel+DeFiddes#p649762

Search is your friend…

Hope to get a bit more of a rundown of the squad soon. Gains from Keebra etc. But i like the sounds of recruiting from the Illawarra for some of their best juniors. What are the Dragons doing down there exactly?

@Geo. said:
@happy tiger said:

http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25506&p=649762&hilit=Samuel+DeFiddes#p649762

Search is your friend…

I have given up on search after the third time , doesn't work :bash

@Balmain Boy said:
Hope to get a bit more of a rundown of the squad soon. Gains from Keebra etc. But i like the sounds of recruiting from the Illawarra for some of their best juniors. What are the Dragons doing down there exactly?

Jai Doolan is a Cowra junior who played SG Ball for Illawarra/St George team and Corrimal Cougars. I think he was a member of one of the under age indigenous teams last year.

**NYC 2016**
NRL Profiles
Bayley Sironen
NYC Profiles
Tiawharangi Aranui
Thomas Bartley
Samuel DeFiddes
Jai Doolan
JJ Felise
Jakob Giles
Roman Ioelu
Jesse Jackson
Ryland Jacobs
Obed Karwhin
Richard Latu
Jacob Lidle
Veiru Mapesone
Esan Marsters
Toa Mata’afa
PJ Mata-Leifi
Mark McCormack
Siaosi Toti Fatafehi Nasilai
Taniel Paseka
Daniel Peck
Pifeleti Pifeleti
Trent Pye
Daniel Roberts
Lenny Sauni
Rhys Sciglitano
Jaleel Seve-Derbas
Luke Sharpe
Bayley Sironen
Pio Sokobalavu
Ray Stone
Tony Tali
Junior Tatola
Royce Tout
Noa Tuitavuki
Niall Walker
Jack Wheelhouse
David Wright

@willow said:
Hopefully these boys all go well next season. Having grown up in Nowra and played in the Illawarra comp in my late teens, they were always tough sides to play against, it's always been a consistently strong comp.

Hi Willow,just as an interest,I had the pleasure of having a trial game for the Nowra Warriors the year before I went to Turvey Park in Wagga Wagga.Some of the players were very talented and hard players of the game,they were great to be around and were always happy to have outside their group come and play for them,I was in group Six at the time and at Wagga it was group Nine..The football at that time,in the seventies and eighties was very hard and competitive,which ever group you played in….

Also congratulations to JJ Felise for being named in the QAS U20 squad.

[Wed 6th January, 01:50PM, http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2016/01/06/broncos_players_domi.html]

David Wright released and now at the Rabbitohs.
http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/content/rabbitohs/club/team/profiles/david_wright.html

Congratulations to JJ Felise and Junior Tatola on Junior Kangaroos, and Esan Marsters on Junior Kiwis selections.

Jacob Liddle very unlucky not to make the Junior Kangaroos!

Congrats to all players on their selection. Very imposing Australian side, I reckon they'll be too strong.

Congrats to Bayley Sironen and Taniela Paseka on their selections in the NSW U20's team.

**NSW U20**
1\. Matt Dufty - St George Illawarra Dragons
2\. Brian Kelly - Gold Coast Titans
3\. Cory Denniss - Newcastle Knights
4\. Curtis Scott - Melbourne Storm
5\. Reuben Garrick - St George Illawarra Dragons
6\. Lachlan Croker - Canberra Raiders
7\. Jack Cogger - Newcastle Knights
8\. Oliver Clark - Penrith Panthers
9\. Grant Garvey - Sydney Roosters
10\. Alex Twal - Parramatta Eels
11\. Tyrell Fuimaono - Parramatta Eels
12\. **Bayley Sironen - Wests Tigers**
13\. Nat Butcher - Sydney Roosters
14\. Zac Woolford - Canberra Raiders
15\. **Taniela Paseka - Wests Tigers**
16\. Max Elliott - Brisbane Broncos
17\. Tevita Cottrell - South Sydney Rabbitohs
18\. Jed Cartwright - Gold Coast Titans

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/07/07/nsw_under_20s_team_a.html

**Wests Tigers Team Review**
**Ladder Position: 6th**
**NRL:** Jacob Liddle, JJ Felise
**Rep Players:** JJ Felise (Junior Kangaroos), Junior Tatola (Junior Kangaroos), Esan Marsters (Junior Kiwis), Bayley Sironen (NSW U20), Taniela Paseka (NSW U20), Ryan Papenhuyzen (NSW U18/NSWCIS U18)

**Players
'96**
Veiru Mapesone, Roman Ioelu, Obed Karwhin, Jacob Liddle, Esan Marsters (NZ), Thomas Bartley, Mark McCormack, Luke Sharpe, Junior Tatola, Ryland Jacobs (NZ), Bayley Sironen, Sam DeFiddes, Jesse Jackson, JJ Felise, Jack Wheelhouse, Jaleel Seve-Derbas, Pio Sokobalava

**'97**
Daniel Roberts, Toni Tali, Jakob Giles, Taniela Paseka, Ray Stone, Daniel Peck, Siaosi Nasilai (NZ), Royce Tout, Lenny Sauni, Rhys Sciglitano

**'98**
Ryan Papenhuyzen, Moses Suli

**NA**
Toa Mata'afa, Paul Roberts, Trent Pye, Jai Doolan

Back