2023 Pre Season

It was all smiles for Isaiah ‘Ice’ Papali’i at Concord on Monday after his move to the Wests Tigers threatened to end in tears for the club’s faithful fans.

The former Parramatta backrower made a cameo appearance at training to tour the Tigers’ newly minted state of the art centre of excellence.

Decked out in Tigers gear, the 24-year-old was spotted having a chat and sharing a laugh with assistants coaches Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah and David Furner.

In October, Papali’i put to bed months of speculation about a contract backflip and committed to honouring his three-year deal with the Tigers.

“It’s pretty unreal,” he said.

“I’ve never seen anything like it to be honest.

“I’m really excited to be here and around the boys, meeting the coaching staff, and I can ‘t wait to use these facilities in the new year.”

The New Zealand international, who has just returned from Europe after lining up for the Kiwis in the Rugby League World Cup headlines a recruitment spree for the Tigers that includes former NSW Blues forward David Klemmer and three-time premiership hooker Api Koroisau.

Papali’i is confident the additions will help transform the Tigers pack into one of the most formidable in the competition.

“I really look forward to working with those boys, and everyone in this squad, so when the new season rolls around we’ll be ready to go,” Papali’i said.

Papali’i will officially report to pre-season training on January 4 after spending some time with his family over Christmas back in New Zealand.

“The body feels okay but yeah, it’s been a long season,” Papali’i said.

“I’m really looking forward to heading back to New Zealand for Christmas and spending time with my family and friends, and my partner.

“It’s been a while since I last spent Christmas back home with the family, so I am really grateful for that.

“I can’t wait to relax and unwind so that when I return in January, I’m ready and raring to go.” 🤝

Attachments

• dec29c705ec660d3a664d49ccd64f94d005dcaa8.jpg
    dec29c705ec660d3a664d49ccd64f94d005dcaa8.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 30
  • dd1b2666c88c897d4f5ef84f81604b205e847f62.jpg
    dd1b2666c88c897d4f5ef84f81604b205e847f62.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 1d6d6d297b60ec28235687f0023da59a57ddbc5b.jpg
    1d6d6d297b60ec28235687f0023da59a57ddbc5b.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 30
Good to see Stefano in these pictures. He should have been at the world cup, but gave up on that dream to properly rehab his injury. I reckon he's gonna have another breakout year. Everyone is talking about Klemmer, Papali'i, maybe even Bateman. Stefano is the real one to look out for.

As Blocker once put it so aptly: "This kid can play!"

Good to see Stefano in these pictures. He should have been at the world cup, but gave up on that dream to properly rehab his injury. I reckon he's gonna have another breakout year. Everyone is talking about Klemmer, Papali'i, maybe even Bateman. Stefano is the real one to look out for.

As Blocker once put it so aptly: "This kid can play!"
I think he will start the season in KOE.

Back