2023 Pre Season

I was at the session today.

These were the teams they were running with in the scrimmage.

Firsts
FB: Staines
RW: Nofoaluma
RC: Talau
LC: Kepaoa/Naden
LW: Maumalo/Ngutlik
5/8: Doueihi
HB: Wakeham/Marshall
PR: Klemmer/Pole
HK: Koroisau/Marshall/Simpkin/Wakeham
PR: Utoikamanu/Twal
R2: Seyfarth/Matamua/Papali’i
L2: Papali’i/Tumeth/Matamua
L: Matamua/Seyfarth

Reserves
FB: Tupou/Kepaoa
RW: Scolari
RC: Peni/Tempest
LC: Tempest/Tupou/Ngutlik/Peni
LW: Ngutlik/Tupou
5/8: Reilly
HB: Camroux
PR: Pole/Ma’anaima
HK: Ngatikaura
PR: Twal/James/Roumanos
R2: Kautoga/Houston
L2: Tumeth/Simpkins/Kautoga
L: Simpkins/Fainu

Limited Duties/Didn’t partake in scrimmage
Laurie
To’a
Brooks
Blore
Simpkin (did half of the scrimmage)
Mansfield
Saukuru
Ofahengaue (Inside doing rehab)
Feledy (Didn’t see him)

None of these guys looked seriously injured or anything, Laurie, To’a and Simpkin outright said there’s were just precautionary after a few recent niggles.
Interesting, so Talau still at centre by the look of it.

Firsts

Reserves

Laurie
To’a
Brooks
Blore
Mansfield
Saukuru
Feledy (Didn’t see him)

None of these guys looked seriously injured or anything, Laurie, To’a and Simpkin outright said there’s were just precautionary after a few recent niggles.
There's a lot of combinations there, KR. A lot to like, as well.
Glad to see that Jimmy N is being given his chance. Falls in line with Tim's philosophy about an attacking bent.

Firsts

Reserves

Laurie
To’a
Brooks
Blore
Mansfield
Saukuru
Feledy (Didn’t see him)

Yeah I went for a look too..Laurie & Toa said just had minor injuries, Simpkin got a head knock yesterday so only did the last non contact session. Brooks was just kicking balls around and taking out drinks. Blore did half the contact session then signed autographs

Yeah, I’d say he looks almost a certainty to start there in Round 1.
Yeah thinks so too and heaven help us with him and Nofa together. The 2nd team scored a heap of easy tries down that side . Scholari looked very competitive just wish he was a bit taller. The big winger from Papua (Jimmy N)looks the goods but not fit enough yet. in the final session when they had to run as far as possible in 2 minutes Jimmy got lapped and Heigno was running along side him to give support. Fittest by a mile Seyfarth, Pole, Klem, Scholari. Looking at the structures think we will see a carbon copy of 2005/2010/2011 in attack ..players in motion in the middle and edges and quick sweeps out wide. It’s obvious Ice, Klem and Api are going to make a huge difference if they can stay on the field just hope its in defence. Interesting the ground announcer kept making reference to rule changes and players must have black foot behind the 10m line in defence. Maybe this is something Tim is hoping for to enable our attack

Yeah I went for a look too..Laurie & Toa said just had minor injuries, Simpkin got a head knock yesterday so only did the last non contact session. Brooks was just kicking balls around and taking out drinks. Blore did half the contact session then signed autographs

Bit concerning how Brooks hasn't
done much ball playing in in the
pre-season with trials around the
corner. Thought his calf was okay

Firsts

Reserves

Laurie
To’a
Brooks
Blore
Mansfield
Saukuru
Ofahengaue (inside doing rehab)
Feledy (didn’t see him)

Thanks mate! Anyone/anything standout to you?

Staines and Matamua look alright out there?

Yeah its a worry. Wakeman and Benji did the Half job today as Simpkin was out with head knock.

Ken's knee is strapped up again too,
would explain why Ngutlik is getting
more reps in. Still a wee while out
until round 1, could be way worse
like last year not having Talau, Blore
and Doueihi to start the season though

Thanks mate! Anyone/anything standout to you?

Staines and Matamua look alright out there?
I was there. Pole far and away the standout. broke the line and offloaded to Papali’i who ran downfield to score. also made it through to the fullback a couple times.

Kepaoa impressed me. was better than Naden at left centre and was the last pass for a Maumalo try and then played fullback for reggies and threw a beautiful cutout for Ngutlik to score who also looked decent.

Doueihi very sharp. Talau looked likely. Stef was decent. Ice and Koroisau were playing at 60% and looked comfortable. Junior Tupou should be playing first grade over Nofoaluma. Klem wound up a couple times which was exciting. Staines was pretty quiet. Kenny solid. Wakeham looks a solid backup, while Camroux was excellent I thought.

defensively there were a few frailties. Reilly crashed over for a very soft try against the first grade which was disappointing and there was a try down the right edge which was fairly poor too.

style of footy is very expansive. couple of little set pieces, not afraid to throw the footy in any situation, especially in our red zone. the hookers were basically playing like Farah in the old days, controlling the middle corridors and playing first receiver and turning blokes under when the ball went to the flanks. we set up for a 4-4 split quite often, where all players set up flat on the ad line and either play through the hands or throw cutouts at high speed. bit rusty but considering that’s how the likes of Penrith and Melbourne play its about time.

its preseason and there’s a long way to go, a lot of drop ball and defensive lapses, but nice to see a clear identity. let’s hope that things continue to improve through trials and early season.

Thanks for the reports. Great to hear about the attacking style of play. Having a strong middle will be a huge benefit to the guys out wider.
Its sounding more and more like a Tommy T and Naden centre pairing.

Thanks for the reports. Great to hear about the attacking style of play. Having a strong middle will be a huge benefit to the guys out wider.
Its sounding more and more like a Tommy T and Naden centre pairing.
Definitely Tommy T.

Will be either Naden or Kepaoa partnering him.

To'a didn't train (niggling injury) but doubt he's ahead of any of those three, even when fit.

Back