2024 Pre-Season

Fascinating alright. All teams on equal points. Did anyone here ever end up watching Barbie???? Is it an Oscar contender.
1707733954088.png
Yea mate, was cooking some sausages. look I would love to do Prawns but sadly allergic...
Ok I could do Lobster...

Man had some nice Lamb going, just marinated in a little soy and vinegar.
Threw a few burger paddies and made miniburgers....

Love watching and cooking the Barbie.

Yea it was 11 and 12 . I was misremembering , and then I remembered 13 was the “fat Benji “ year , Auckland blues , brooks debut etc . Was a top of the head reaction . I should have done some cross checking first . My bad .

Fat Benji - now talking about 'Standards'.

2012 rings a bell off the back of two strong years. 2013 surprises me but I’ll take your word. What about all the other years, probably not even considered among the top half of the comp by most. We all know you can get some tasty odds on the Tigers this time of year.

1. Injuries (mainly Benji)
2. The club probably mortgaged the ranch to keep them
3. The obvious disparity in club spending when you compare us to the filthy rich, perennially successful clubs

2006-2009
Benji Injured
Pat Richards left prior to 2005 final, most other veterans went not long after as well. (although skando the bloody legend kept coming out of retirement).
Scott Prince and Laffranchi poached by Titans. (2 rep players at the time).

We were absolutely brilliant by the end of 2009 once the likes of Rowdy, Ryan, Ellis, Galloway, Ayshford, Moltzen and Tuiaki were up and running with 50 or more games for the club. These were all brought in or graded by Sheens after 2005 era were poached or retired. (Also once Marshall's injury curse ended). Woods came the year after I believe.

We've never made the 8 we've only ever made the top 4, strangely. We were desperately unlucky in 2010 and fudged up 2011 in the last 10 minutes against Warriors.

In 2012 we struggled with injuries, but people often forget that once we had our full squad squad we won 8 games straight. Benji's try assist stats were out this world that year. We should have held our nerve and not just jettisoned Sheens without better plan than brining in the dull and miserable Mick Potter.

422616707_875640454567511_4060855895678465799_n.jpg

Back: Starford To'a, Jordan Miller, Junior Tupou, Stefano Utoikamanu, Solomon Alaimalo, Josh Feledy, Asu Kepaoa, Justin Matamua, Kit Laulilii, Chris Faagutu, Justin Olam, Solomona Faataape

Middle: Tony Sukkar, Brandon Tumeth, Samuela Fainu, Alex Twal, Adam Doueihi, David Klemmer, Alex Seyfarth, Jahream Bula, Charlie Staines, Brent Naden, Alex Lobb, Lachlan Galvin, Solomone Saukuru

Front: Jayden Sullivan, Sione Fainu, Latu Fainu, Isaiah Papali'i, Apisai Koroisau, Benji Marshall, John Bateman, Jake Simpkin, Fonua Pole, Aidan Sezer, Tallyn Da Silva

422616707_875640454567511_4060855895678465799_n.jpg

Back: Starford To'a, Jordan Miller, Junior Tupou, Stefano Utoikamanu, Solomon Alaimalo, Josh Feledy, Asu Kepaoa, Justin Matamua, Kit Laulilii, Chris Faagutu, Justin Olam, Solomona Faataape

Middle: Tony Sukkar, Brandon Tumeth, Samuela Fainu, Alex Twal, Adam Doueihi, David Klemmer, Alex Seyfarth, Jahream Bula, Charlie Staines, Brent Naden, Alex Lobb, Lachlan Galvin, Solomone Saukuru

Front: Jayden Sullivan, Sione Fainu, Latu Fainu, Isaiah Papali'i, Apisai Koroisau, Benji Marshall, John Bateman, Jake Simpkin, Fonua Pole, Aidan Sezer, Tallyn Da Silva
Look at the size of Alaimalo - hope he can kick on.

I hope Seyfarths body is an optical illusion. He looks tiny

I reckon we'll keep it open for now and see if anything comes up later in the season.
It’s always good to have one or two positions in the top 30 open as it can be motivation for our own players on development contracts or lower tier contracts to step up and take a top 39 spot if their form warrants it.
Also the option of signing a player from other clubs if the right player becomes available.

Can see the Bash Brothers Kit & Faagutu next to each other, but gee whiz Sukkar & Twal may as well be twins 😂

Declan Casey & Heath Mason are two from the T&T squad to make the trip to NZ with the Top 30 & Dev players. Might give us an indication who of the T&Ts has impressed during the pre-season.
I heard the other day that the coaching staff have been blown away by Mason in his debut preseason, to the point where he may debut this year if Bula goes down.

I heard the other day that the coaching staff have been blown away by Mason in his debut preseason, to the point where he may debut this year if Bula goes down.
Do you think could he be used anywhere else? Or will his size limit him to 1 or 6 for this year?

He will always have that versatility, but I am liking the fact we see his primary position as fullback now. Too many halves competing for the 6 and 7 already.

Back