2024 State of Origin Teams

From Matt Bungard at ESPN who talks about the baffling forward selections and says the following about not picking Api:

"However, unless Koroisau is injured, dropping him is the strangest selection decision I can remember in years. Despite the Tigers' awful form since the star hooker made the switch from Penrith, he's been their best player pretty much every week, and was great for the Blues last year.

And if you are going to penalise Koroisau for his club team's lack of wins, how then, can you sign off on Robson who hasn't been anywhere near his best this year, and whose team just had a five-week winless run of their own?

There is no doubt in my mind that Koroisau is the best No.9 in the game right now, and has been slogging his guts out for two years in a pretty poor side - to leave him out is a huge statement from Maguire, and one that already has some Blues fans scratching their heads."

https://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_...-maguire-blues-selections-completely-baffling

Feel like a homer supporting Api so I'm glad to see strong opinion supporting him. The only hookers who are potentially as threatening as Api are Harry Grant and Jeremy Marshall-King. I'm sure Robson is a solid player but he seems invisible in matches. I'm sure Madge has picked him because of supposed defensive frailty by Api, but Api is a very good defender on a very bad team and always leads line speed as well as popping up on the short side to cut down overlaps. He's just an incredible player and I can't see what Robson brings over him.

I always felt that Madge was hard done by at our club, but he talks phoney pride in jersey jibberish in press conference and his selections look like a mess.

Well look what an experienced coach brings for NSW
NO cover for any back 1 to 7
NO speed out of dummy half
More edge forwards than Middle’s
Captain that will probably (hopefully) play for 40 minutes
Yeo plays 80 minutes each week and is one of the best forwards in the game but starts on the bench 🤯
I can see a very basic game plan with this team and prey for rain and QLD to have an off night.

Mag won’t hear the end of it if any back goes down especially if it’s a half, who would you play in the half’s if Nicko or Luai go off ?
If we couldn’t get wighton to change his mind surely burton should be next in line instead of Young on the bench.

with no cleary, tedesco back in is a very very good move, has done it before
more confident at home nsw can beat Qld in this game now

I’d much rather Edwards play than Tedesco.
NSW are a good shout in this game now Ted is there.

I think it's impossible to know if that statement is correct. Edwards is yet to play Origin so we can't gauge how he would handle it. What we do know is that he has completely outplayed Tedesco at NRL level for 3 years.

It would have been interesting to see how he went.

I think it's impossible to know if that statement is correct. Edwards is yet to play Origin so we can't gauge how he would handle it. What we do know is that he has completely outplayed Tedesco at NRL level for 3 years.

It would have been interesting to see how he went.
I’m speaking as a QLDer.
Edwards doesn’t worry me like Teddy can.

Being a QLDer I am automatically a higher authority on Origin.
Listen and learn something.
I'm jealous. Being both a NSW and WT fan means losing a lot.

It'll be interesting to see how NSW's "honest toiler" approach works out. No Tino, Flegler or Gilbert improves NSW's chances but not sure how they'll hold out the WalshHammer.

Latest posts

Members online

Back