OFFICIAL Adam Doueihi #227

Honesty the best policy for a Tiger turnaround: Doueihi
Author - Brad Walter
NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp - Fri 7 May 2021, 06:01 PM

Wests Tigers players identified defence and resilience as two areas which needed to improve at an honesty session that they hope can be the catalyst for claiming a place in the top eight with a win over Gold Coast on Saturday.

The Tigers were under siege before last Sunday’s 16-8 defeat of St George Illawarra, with officials forced to guarantee the future of coach Michael Maguire after just one win in the opening seven rounds.

Star five-eighth Adam Doueihi revealed that the players responded by coming together to talk about what had been going wrong and how they planned to turn their season around.

“Honesty builds clubs and we had some honest conversations, and picked out a few things we think we can improve,” Doueihi said. “Resilience was a big piece of that and obviously defence. They are the two things we are working on.

“You need to do stuff like that and those honest conversations are good to have. I know I took a lot out of it and the other boys did. We rested after that and came into training the next day and we were going pretty good.”

The match against the Dragons was the first this season in which the Tigers have held an opposition team to single figures and they did not concede a point in the second half.

The previous weekend they had conceded 40 points against Manly, as they did in round two against Sydney Roosters, while Parramatta, Canberra and North Queensland had all put 30 or more points on the Tigers.

“We are building on our defence and we know we have leaked a fair amount of points in the first two months of footy so we are working on that,” Doueihi said.

“Defence is our main focus for the next few weeks and everyone has been turning up at training ready to rip in and work hard.”

The Lebanon international, who admitted he was still developing combinations with halfback Luke Brooks, new fullback Daine Laurie and rookie hooker Jake Simpkin after making the switch to five-eighth this season, said the speculation about Maguire had been disappointing.

“To see the stuff said about Madge hurt me personally and I know it hurt the boys, so we wanted to play for him, play for our club and play for our fans,” he said.

“You are only as good as your last performance so if we don’t back it up this week it means nothing.”

The Titans are currently in eighth position but if the Tigers win at Campbelltown they will join them on six points and could find themselves in the top eight for the first time this season.

“We obviously have a young spine and new combos and we haven’t played much footy together but I think we are building nicely, we are putting in the effort at training and working hard on our game and where we can improve,” Doueihi said.

“I am building well with Brooksy, we are starting to find out each other’s games and know where we want to be.

“It’s knowing when to kick, when to run and who to hit, and when to link up with Brooksy or just go myself. I guess the more games I can get under my belt [at five-eighth] the better it is going to be but I feel like it is coming along nicely.”
 
@tigrrs said in [Tigers need to be Doueihi's team: Tamou](/post/1355836) said:
Perhaps Douehi could one day pass to his centre

You know statistically Brooks and Doueihi run about the same amount per game... I'd argue Doueihi is more effective with his running game as well averaging more metres a game. He's also 7th in the league for linebreak assists.
 
@facepalmer said in [Tigers need to be Doueihi's team: Tamou](/post/1354165) said:
@love_the_weststigers said in [Tigers need to be Doueihi's team: Tamou](/post/1354151) said:
@tigervinnie said in [Tigers need to be Doueihi's team: Tamou](/post/1354083) said:
Was at the game and watched AD closely (have always been interested in his development).

What stood out to me most to the point where it was visibly obvious - towards the end of the game he was sucking in the big ones, looked genuinely exhausted - but the very next play would back it up with a big break, good line speed or barking orders to take control of the set.

When we win he is always one of the most animated and when we lose he is always distressed. That is future captains material - leaving it all on the field and playing with passion for the jersey. It contagious and I know if I was a player that's who I would go to war with.

I wasn’t at the game but I watched it on Fox
And I agree, he was spent but he never stopped.

That’s what it means, when Madge asks players to play for each other.

AD led by example
I loved what he did at Fullback, when he filled in at centre against Manly.
Young but powerful and determined.

Can not teach passion for the jersey and Adam has it.

Honestly the side look like they are responding as best they can. They care about each other and the coach. The more Cini's we can bring in with good attitudes and to give the other boys someone to rally around the better. The spirit is there, they just need to build systems and execute.

Still entirely unsold on Maguire as a tactician though.

One thing McGuire is not is a tactitian.
Trainer, sure.
Coach, yes. Mentor, yes.

He is 100% not a tactitian. Sheens was the best tactitian coach we had, and that had really mixed results. Long term it did leave us underdeveloped.
 
@crazycat said in [Tigers need to be Doueihi's team: Tamou](/post/1355876) said:
@facepalmer said in [Tigers need to be Doueihi's team: Tamou](/post/1354165) said:
@love_the_weststigers said in [Tigers need to be Doueihi's team: Tamou](/post/1354151) said:
@tigervinnie said in [Tigers need to be Doueihi's team: Tamou](/post/1354083) said:
Was at the game and watched AD closely (have always been interested in his development).

What stood out to me most to the point where it was visibly obvious - towards the end of the game he was sucking in the big ones, looked genuinely exhausted - but the very next play would back it up with a big break, good line speed or barking orders to take control of the set.

When we win he is always one of the most animated and when we lose he is always distressed. That is future captains material - leaving it all on the field and playing with passion for the jersey. It contagious and I know if I was a player that's who I would go to war with.

I wasn’t at the game but I watched it on Fox
And I agree, he was spent but he never stopped.

That’s what it means, when Madge asks players to play for each other.

AD led by example
I loved what he did at Fullback, when he filled in at centre against Manly.
Young but powerful and determined.

Can not teach passion for the jersey and Adam has it.

Honestly the side look like they are responding as best they can. They care about each other and the coach. The more Cini's we can bring in with good attitudes and to give the other boys someone to rally around the better. The spirit is there, they just need to build systems and execute.

Still entirely unsold on Maguire as a tactician though.

One thing McGuire is not is a tactitian.
Trainer, sure.
Coach, yes. Mentor, yes.

He is 100% not a tactitian. Sheens was the best tactitian coach we had, and that had really mixed results. Long term it did leave us underdeveloped.

You missed the most important before tactician and that is person management skills. Sheens A plus, Maguire No
 
@tiger5150 said in [Adam Doueihi signs till 2023\.\.Official](/post/1353929) said:
@spartan117 said in [Adam Doueihi signs till 2023\.\.Official](/post/1353908) said:
**Adam D on Big Sports Breakfast**

http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/whK01y.mp3

Laurie Commends his personal form.
Michael Clark asks about Madge

Enjoy.


I cringed HARD when AD said we had a "good" month (easier) of footy coming up.

I've always been impressed with Liddle, he's articulate and you listen when he speaks. He'd be my future Captain. No disrespect for Doueihi who is a good ambassador for the club.
 
@gnr4life said in [Adam Doueihi signs till 2023\.\.Official](/post/1353948) said:
By far and away my favourite player atm.

I'm so glad we signed this guy. Passion for the club and he plays hard and he has an impact. Plus he is likable.

It's even better because I had no idea if he would work out for us or not.
 
How good is this man? You can’t convince he wouldn’t not be in the Origin frame if he played for a stronger side.
 
@gnr4life said in [Doueihi](/post/1363255) said:
How good is this man? You can’t convince he wouldn’t not be in the Origin frame if he played for a stronger side.

He’s fantastic. Put him anywhere and he’ll excel. Best signing we’ve made in years.
 
Another strong game, takes plenty to put him down and while he may be our best 6, he's also our best centre and it may very well make more sense to play him there until we can get a better centre...
 
I feared he wouldn’t touch the ball as much in the centre’s but he has just as much presence out wide than he did playing in the halves

Don’t get me wrong AD is a fine running 5/8 but Mbye showed what happens when you play with depth in the back line
 
@willow said in [Doueihi](/post/1363268) said:
Another strong game, takes plenty to put him down and while he may be our best 6, he's also our best centre and it may very well make more sense to play him there until we can get a better centre...

Still suss in Defence at times..

Provides a target and strike at centre..
 
The side looked better having him at centre. He’s a big body and contained Bradman Best well. Still got involved a lot. The backline had better shape
 
I think his best position at this point in time is centre but feel he is developing well as a 5/8th and in 12 months time his best position will be 5/8th. Just needs to develop a bit more variety in his game.
 
@tigerwould said in [Doueihi](/post/1363292) said:
The side looked better having him at centre. He’s a big body and contained Bradman Best well. Still got involved a lot. The backline had better shape

He'll be back at 6 when Roberts returns.
 
Wouldn’t be in origin contention due to his defensive issues. Give him another 12-18mths to evolve.
I think center is his position, ball running is his strength not ball distribution.
 

Latest posts

Staff online

Back
Top