Adam Doueihi #227

AD isn’t a top line centre. That’s a lot of money to pay someone on potential.

Talented guy but his frame and his skills don’t compliment each other. Great fullback but lacks speed, skilful enough & big enough for lock but lacks defensive skills. Not enough impact for a 14, to slow and not skilful enough for 6, not an organiser for. 7
Good call Bob ....Jack Of all trades .....master of none

Brooks is arguably our best running player acroos the board .....Douehi takes the mantle in opposition red zones

Across the entirity ...I'd say Brooks just pips Douehi as far as their running games go at both their best ....in the opposition red zone Douehi wins

But before people get outraged with this comment ...it explains why we finished a long last in 2022
Yep and we are paying a lot of money for such mediocrity

AD isn’t a top line centre. That’s a lot of money to pay someone on potential.

Talented guy but his frame and his skills don’t compliment each other. Great fullback but lacks speed, skilful enough & big enough for lock but lacks defensive skills. Not enough impact for a 14, to slow and not skilful enough for 6, not an organiser for. 7
There are a few players that have done a career transformation. Chris Lawrence did it moving to the front row.
GI tried to do it and almost did his knees bulking up.

I think you have nailed on the head exactly why we should not be re-signing AD. He has the skills and lacks either speed in the backline OR defensive ability in Lock.

You can coach speed a little bit, but if your slow you will probably stay slow.
Defence has NOT been a skill we can impart. Punt him.

Only one true centre in the game worth 800 k and that is Manu ...and he'd be a 1 or 6 here
I will add in Mitchell Latrell, also Justin Olam from the Storm*. Agreed we don't see many 800k Centers and when they do appear they are usually pushed into 5/8 or Fullback.

I noticed when Des Haslier was coaching Manly, Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai stayed at Center. Haslier kept stability in the backline to train his halves Foran and DCE.

The only point I am making is that, Everyone is thinking Spine, spine spine. Another way to think is strong Centers that allow a spine to develop.

Yes we did try this by overpaying hasbeen's in Roberts and BJ Leulai. Unsure if this was madge but it did not work and definitely did not provide a backline defence upgrade. Yet both players never hit the peak that they had in their careers.

If we hire Brooks + Moses like many are saying, how will they go with our current backline?

*800k would be overs for Olam. Yet he has great form and clearly earns his spot on the field.

Going to float a Stupid idea here.

We want Doueihi to play Center, ok most people want him to play center.
Doueihi is asking for 5/8 and 900k. What if we said 800k and Center?

^not saying I am in favour of this. I am floating the idea, food for thought.

Pros:
We get a backline that starts owning the positions.
We free up 5/8 for real superstar talent.
We see a combination outside of the halves.

Cons:
we lose 400k overpaying for Center.
Doueihi isn't fast.

Reality, I only see AD leaving the tigers and I have no idea who is going to pay anything close to 900k. Yet I see a few NRL players go to Fullback or 5/8 because that is where the money is. Valentine Holmes is a far better winger then fullback IMHO. Maybe we can do something different here.
Doueihi was faster in his debut season at Souths. A centre may be worth $800k at some time in the future, as the cap increases, but not for a couple of seasons yet imo.

Same old, same old, people want to keep their favourits, that are nowhere near the standard needed for us to become a good side. That's why are are in the position we are!
Speed is the name of the game today, if you don't have it, you won't make it.

Doueihi was getting over an acl injury last season .He will be a lot faster and confident next year .Give the bloke a go.
Happy to give him "A Go".
But he is asking for A Go and A Pay BUMP!

Go round again, same money. Okay AD you are in.
But an upgrade from 550k (Unsure current wage) to 800-900k?
We did not see 300k improvement from Doueihi, Heck we saw him go backwards.

Even more as others have said, Doueihi does not suit any positions. Speed and defence are key issues and while you can coach for Defence, we do poorly at it. Speed is hard to coach for and the performance gains are limited.

He is making it easy for us.

Doueihi was faster in his debut season at Souths. A centre may be worth $800k at some time in the future, as the cap increases, but not for a couple of seasons yet imo.
I actually think there is call for an 800k Center. It's not Doueihi. Justin Olam, Various people from Penrith, Joey Manu could all fit that bill.

I see every team spending 1 Mil on the halfback (excluding risking a rookie), spending similar on their 5/8 and fullback... Everyone is investing in their spine which can work.

Alternatively I think you can develop your Centres to get a good backline defence. Once Defence is sorted it is easier for young halves to learn the attack. That said we have tried this and failed with Roberts/BJ Leulia. A different pairing of Olam and Manu would totally change the situation IMHO (ofcourse I am dreaming).

Latest posts

Back