AFL - EXCITED ABOUT NOTHING

Status
Not open for further replies.
@supercoach said:
**I got so frustrated at seeing the donkeys getting a leg up all night I switched channels to the AFL.**
The Donkeys were offside all night and got every call, the NRL have to act. We red some officials on field and in the bunker who actually use ome common sense

Yes it was extremely frustrating but mate you could not have been that desperate - I would even watch Big Brother Chinese Edition before that.

I'm guessing that anyone who has ever been to an AFL match wouldn't think it was 'nothing'. One of the most exciting spectacles I have ever witnessed. Like League, I'm sure there are the boring games, but the potential for a team to come from behind and win far exceeds that of our game. Unless it's a complete blowout, the outcome of a match is always in the balance right up to full time - this alone makes it an exciting game for me.

@Flippedy said:
I'm guessing that anyone who has ever been to an AFL match wouldn't think it was 'nothing'. One of the most exciting spectacles I have ever witnessed. Like League, I'm sure there are the boring games, but the potential for a team to come from behind and win far exceeds that of our game. Unless it's a complete blowout, the outcome of a match is always in the balance right up to full time - this alone makes it an exciting game for me.

This.
AFL is much better live than on TV. You get a much greater appreciation for just how difficult it is.

@Flippedy said:

But what they are doing is "nothing". Getting points for just punting a ball between goal sticks as wide as your house is "nothing". where are the brilliant runs of Marshall, Tedesco, Hayne, Lomu, Beetson etc.. where are the gymnastics of diving on a floating ball all ready over the dead ball line and planting back for a try? Where are the heroics of a Toovey putting his body on the line against the biggest and nastiest? where is the Hazim El Masris shooting goals from 4 extreme corners against blizzards? It is a pansy's game

@Tigertigertiger said:
The AFL is about 20 years ahead of the NRL when it comes to the administration and promoting of the game.

true but its about 100 years behind in skill

@Tigertigertiger said:
The AFL is about 20 years ahead of the NRL when it comes to the administration and promoting of the game.

maybe so but the trouble is that they are selling a flat balloon. Actually I was waiting for a proper response to my previous post then came to the opinion that it was not replied to because it could not be replied to.

I have introduced a few migrants to rugby league and they marvel and are terrified simultaneously - they think it is the ultimate. Then show them VLF and they yawn.

Where is Jared Hayne's big solo try in the finals against the Bulldogs ages ago, where is Marshall's magic, where is Lomu's bulldozer and Hazem dunking them from outer space??? VFL is a con job. Pure and simple. All froth and bubble on the paddock and off the paddock.

Afl is a garbage sport.
Very little ball control, very few have the nads to committ to the ball on the ground, you get rewarded for catches even if you drop it as you do for missed goals.

I still believe soccer is the most wussiest, embarrassing sport a man could play but Afl is right next to it. If I wish to see a bunch of limp wrists poncing around I'll go to the Mardi Gras thanks…

@Sabre said:
@Flippedy said:

This.
AFL is much better live than on TV. You get a much greater appreciation for just how difficult it is.

It is much better live, but that's like saying a punch in the face is better than a punch in the nuts.

It is still an ordinary game and I just can't understand how people follow it. I used to be invited to members games, but I stopped going because I had better things to do with my 3 hours and the beers were far more expensive than at the pub.

Plus, the number of people who just sit behind the posts and rumble for the footy when it's kicked through. I mean kids play footy when there is space on the hill at LO, but I am talking grown adults hanging around trying to catch the kicks. That tells you how slow the game can be, if people would rather chase footies than sit still and watch. Reminds me of cricket with people occupying themselves elsewhere, though at least w cricket you can understand because it runs 5 days and nobody can concentrate that long.

@Byron Bay Fan said:
@Tigertigertiger said:

maybe so but the trouble is that they are selling a flat balloon. Actually I was waiting for a proper response to my previous post then came to the opinion that it was not replied to because it could not be replied to.

I have introduced a few migrants to rugby league and they marvel and are terrified simultaneously - they think it is the ultimate. Then show them VLF and they yawn.

Where is Jared Hayne's big solo try in the finals against the Bulldogs ages ago, where is Marshall's magic, where is Lomu's bulldozer and Hazem dunking them from outer space??? VFL is a con job. Pure and simple. All froth and bubble on the paddock and off the paddock.

Take a look at the dangerous marks they take in AFL and you will see where the skill and courage is. Also the skill by the kicker to the marker has to be very close to spot on.

AFL is a brilliant contest (most matches).
The skill set needed is considerable and completely different to NRL.
The fitness required is immense.
It is legitimately a national sport.
The fan bases are larger and more dedicated than NRL (hands-down).
The bulk of players aren't morons (sad but it's a bit true…).
The administration is better
Their membership is better
Their draft system is better (existent!)

If you don't appreciate the sport cos you find it boring or just not enjoyable then so be it, but dismissing AFL cos it isn't macho enough is just sad. Others dismiss it because they expect sidesteps a'la Marshall. Their loss. AFL is a great sport and I'd say the skill set of an average AFL player is FAR greater then that of an average NRL player.

Go you Swannies!!!!

I love it. I don't subscribe to the fact that it sucks just because i wasn't brought up on it. I wasn't brought up on NFL either but i love that as well. I used to be a big Bombers fan when i was a kid. Fanatical. I remember being 10 yrs old and crying when the Swans beat them in the pre-lim final on the siren. Don't really follow them these days, but still follow the game.

I've always liked GWS, i've followed them closely since their inception. But i really hope the Bulldogs pull their pants down and go on to win the premiership.

@bigsiro said:

I call shenanigans. As a punter, the amount of AFL games I see with a 1.01 to 1.10 favourite is enormous.

@stryker said:
Afl is a garbage sport.
Very little ball control, very few have the nads to committ to the ball on the ground, you get rewarded for catches even if you drop it as you do for missed goals.

I still believe soccer is the most wussiest, embarrassing sport a man could play but Afl is right next to it. If I wish to see a bunch of limp wrists poncing around I'll go to the Mardi Gras thanks…

I dont understand how you could say 'soccer' is the most embarrassing sport a man could play…

@Kavi said:
@stryker said:
Afl is a garbage sport.

I dont understand how you could say 'soccer' is the most embarrassing sport a man could play…

Everyone has different taste in what they find Entertaining , but Soccer is the most Popular sport in the World by a Country mile .

http://www.topendsports.com/world/lists/popular-sport/fans.htm

@Kavi said:
@stryker said:
Afl is a garbage sport.

Love soccer! The skill and stamina required to play is high and it is entertaining. I would watch a 0-0 draw on TV before i watched the AFL. AFL live is OK.

Diving is the smear on the game of soccer.

@bigsiro said:

If you don't appreciate the sport cos you find it boring or just not enjoyable then so be it, but dismissing AFL cos it isn't macho enough is just sad. Others dismiss it because they expect sidesteps a'la Marshall. Their loss. AFL is a great sport and I'd say the skill set of an average AFL player is FAR greater then that of an average NRL player.

Go you Swannies!!!!

I see nothing here that in any way compares with the brilliancies of top rugby league players. I accept that you have to punt a ball accurately in AFL - but RL players do that every game. Farah at his best could land them on a sixpence with different spins. I see very little other skill in the game.

Fitness, national sport, fan base, non-morons, admin, membership, draft system - all have nothing to do with it being an exciting, skilful and power game compared to RL. The method they pass the ball is about as stupid as RL scrums. Would be a dead heat.

If you want to talk garbage sports, try sitting through a game of union. One of the most pointless endeavours you could subject yourself to.

@Byron Bay Fan said:
@bigsiro said:

Go you Swannies!!!!

I see nothing here that in any way compares with the brilliancies of top rugby league players. I accept that you have to punt a ball accurately in AFL - but RL players do that every game. Farah at his best could land them on a sixpence with different spins. I see very little other skill in the game.

Fitness, national sport, fan base, non-morons, admin, membership, draft system - all have nothing to do with it being an exciting, skilful and power game compared to RL. The method they pass the ball is about as stupid as RL scrums. Would be a dead heat.

I'd give em kudos for just bouncing the oval-shaped Sherrin, whilst running at full flight and getting it come back into their arms again! Every time I try it the ball bounces all over the place - everywhere but back to me! :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back