After you pay off your mortgage

@tiger_fanatic3 said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1489530) said:
![244464188_6486323671440184_1136751476483341939_n.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1633737278717-244464188_6486323671440184_1136751476483341939_n.jpg)

Yeah, jealous when I see @hobbo1 and @Cultured_Bogan mountain manors...

So leafy and spacious.
Compared to suburbia where we're boxed in closer together.

My friend lives on a million dollar street by the lake in a suburb called Warner's Bay and can legit hear his neighbours inside their home having conversations.

@demps said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1489542) said:
![244464188_6486323671440184_1136751476483341939_n.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1633737278717-244464188_6486323671440184_1136751476483341939_n.jpg)

So leafy and spacious.

My friend lives on a million dollar street by the lake in a suburb called Warner's Bay and can legit hear his neighbours inside their home having conversations.

Plant some trees instead of Lebanese cucumbers ?…?…?

@magpie1969 said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1487764) said:
Demps. Limited to $27500 for Super including 10% from Employer. At end of year will own all 4 houses debt free.

Well-done to have done that. My two-cents-worth.

You should have more than enough to live comfortably with income from three houses (assuming you are renting them out) and your super. Putting as much as you can into super is a good idea as it has the best returns these days of most investments (apart from another house atm). If you go down the shares route look at yearly return rather than making money by buying and selling - income stream in retirment is the most important so you aren't eating away at your investments (unless you plan to do that).

@mikey said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1489555) said:
Demps. Limited to $27500 for Super including 10% from Employer. At end of year will own all 4 houses debt free.

You should have more than enough to live comfortably with income from three houses (assuming you are renting them out) and your super. Putting as much as you can into super is a good idea as it has the best returns these days of most investments (apart from another house atm). If you go down the shares route look at yearly return rather than making money by buying and selling - income stream in retirment is the most important so you aren't eating away at your investments (unless you plan to do that).

Good topic, very topical at Castle Enmore. We are nearly there, I have had a rough run with my health a couple of brain tumor opps but great now, house at Enmore worth around 3M (one just sold in our street for 3.65M) I am a builder & better part is a architect. Local residential development is our aim, I run my own boutique building business, obvious for us really. No plans to retire, just put on a PM, step back a bit & concentrate on marketing and tendering. Suite me fine, give me time to go back to uni, ride the motorbike & make more furniture

@demps said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1489542) said:

So leafy and spacious.

Give me a home among the gum trees.

@enmoretiger-0 said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1489594) said:

Good topic, very topical at Castle Enmore. We are nearly there, I have had a rough run with my health a couple of brain tumor opps but great now, house at Enmore worth around 3M (one just sold in our street for 3.65M) I am a builder & better part is a architect. Local residential development is our aim, I run my own boutique building business, obvious for us really. No plans to retire, just put on a PM, step back a bit & concentrate on marketing and tendering. Suite me fine, give me time to go back to uni, ride the motorbike & make more furniture

Ayyy brother.
Good job, keep chasing the dream and good to hear you had a good recovery.

??

I got 12 more years off private school fees. My youngest is in Kindi whilst my oldest finishes yr 12 this year.

Great and depressing thread in 1

@spartan117 said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1490255) said:
I got 12 more yeats od private school fees. My youngest is in Kindi whiles my oldest finishes yr 12 this year.

You poor bugger. That's a decision my wife and I have mulled over being on the north shore where a lot of kids go to private schools. At the end of the day with my mortgage and salary...private school just isn't an option for my boy but we do have decent public schools which we are more than happy for him to go to. Neighbours across the road were forking out 80k per year to put their 3 kids through private school...

@willow said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1490261) said:
I got 12 more yeats od private school fees. My youngest is in Kindi whiles my oldest finishes yr 12 this year.

You poor bugger. That's a decision my wife and I have mulled over being on the north shore where a lot of kids go to private schools. At the end of the day with my mortgage and salary...private school just isn't an option for my boy but we do have decent public schools which we are more than happy for him to go to. Neighbours across the road were forking out 80k per year to put their 3 kids through private school...

From my observation, some of the private school lads grow up and still take the wrong road... know some who became members of some well known loser club that ride motorbikes.

No more ties and collars, just face tattoos and harleys.

@willow said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1490261) said:

5 kids. Thankfully it aint 80k.

I’m about to start the private school fees for 3 kids (high school only). No decent public schools in our catchment area.

I’m thinking of selling some shares I purchased in 2006. Anyone know where to go to find out how much I originally purchased them for? I need to know to work out the capital gains tax.

@hank37w said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1488761) said:
@geo said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1488701) said:
@happy_tiger said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1488501) said:
@cultured_bogan said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1488308) said:
@eyewondertoo said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1488281) said:
gee.a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum who know stuff i've got no idea on.

my advice is to pay your mortgages off and keep working.The benefits of going to work and being at a coalface cannot be measured.There's only so many days you can play golf.

Having a purpose is a strong motivator for men.With international travel under a cloud for some time,working past the nominal retiring age of sixty is a reality,depending on your work area.
But each to their own- just like the wide variety of opinions you'll find on this forum.

I want to pay off my mortgage as fast as I can and move into SMSF so I can retire at 60.

I won't retire fully at 60, I would like to get away from the industry I am in though and work part time at a Bunnings or a Flower Power or something like that. Have a less stressful job to enjoy and still occupy my time.

Seriously thinking of running for Council as a Councillor next local election ......

Lol Hsppy tiger Mayor of Gladstone

The only running Happy will be doing is when they run him out of town.

More than likely ...lol

Here's a tip - if you are fortunate enough to have another property never under any circumstances allow family to stay (especially those on the outlaw side) at peppercorn rent. It's bad for business and why create an avoidable mess?

I have been left to wade through a sea of manure in dealing with the ex outlaws. The sense of entitlement from these people knows no limitations. We have worked hard over our life for our assets and for the legacy we leave behind to our sons. Why am I now expected to rob from my son's of part of their inheritance so this entitled bunch can buy our beautiful home at well below market price?

As the boys' mother's life draws to its inevitable end, my refusal to apply a family discount to the sale of the home has made me number 1 target for their vitriol. I had planned to live in the Upper Blue Mountains for a couple of years but that now has changed. It's now my surfboards and back to the coast.

@pawsandclaws1 said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1490490) said:
Here's a tip - if you are fortunate enough to have another property never under any circumstances allow family to stay (especially those on the outlaw side) at peppercorn rent. It's bad for business and why create an avoidable mess?

I have been left to wade through a sea of manure in dealing with the ex outlaws. The sense of entitlement from these people knows no limitations. We have worked hard over our life for our assets and for the legacy we leave behind to our sons. Why am I now expected to rob from my son's of part of their inheritance so this entitled bunch can buy our beautiful home at well below market price?

As the boys' mother's life draws to its inevitable end, my refusal to apply a family discount to the sale of the home has made me number 1 target for their vitriol. I had planned to live in the Upper Blue Mountains for a couple of years but that now has changed. It's now my surfboards and back to the coast.

Caves Beach?

That's the forum hot spot, lol

@demps said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1490491) said:

Caves Beach?

My girlfriend and I prefer Werrong beach near Otford. It is a very nice spot!

@pawsandclaws1 said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1490493) said:
@demps said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1490491) said:

Caves Beach?

My girlfriend and I prefer Werrong beach near Otford. It is a very nice spot!

Nice, nice.
Beach Life ❤

@nrlsurvivor said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1490378) said:
I’m about to start the private school fees for 3 kids (high school only). No decent public schools in our catchment area.

Did that many years ago so that put a end to any investment properties. Although I have no regrets, three kids all went to uni and got multiple degrees and are doing well in jobs scattered around the world.

Paid my mortgage off about ten years ago, so salary sacrificed the max amount into my super and my wife’s super. We both retired now with very healthy super accounts.

@demps said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1490240) said:

Ayyy brother.

??

Thanks for the kind words, it has been a struggle but I consider myself very lucky to live in a country with such an amazing health system. My treatment was all public, I do not believe in private health & anything that I need (knee replacement) I pay for, and it was outstanding.
The debate about private vs public schools, both my wife & I went to public schools & both of us not in wealthy areas, we both end up with degrees, she has two & me one.
We do not have kids, that did not work out for us, so our opinion on schooling children is purely just that, an opinion

@enmoretiger-0 said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1490523) said:
@demps said in [After you pay off your mortgage](/post/1490240) said:

Ayyy brother.

??

Thanks for the kind words, it has been a struggle but I consider myself very lucky to live in a country with such an amazing health system. My treatment was all public, I do not believe in private health & anything that I need (knee replacement) I pay for, and it was outstanding.
The debate about private vs public schools, both my wife & I went to public schools & both of us not in wealthy areas, we both end up with degrees, she has two & me one.
We do not have kids, that did not work out for us, so our opinion on schooling children is purely just that, an opinion

I have 2 kids in high school. We made the decision to get them a tutor once a week even though they were going ok. This has definitely made a difference imo especially during assessment weeks.

Back