OFFICIAL Alex Twal #206

@Tcat said in [Twal](/post/1168176) said:
@JoshColeman99 said in [Twal](/post/1168122) said:
@bbobb said in [Twal](/post/1168116) said:
@GNR4LIFE said in [Twal](/post/1168000) said:
Such a shame,. Not just for the team, but for him personally. He’s just starting to turn heads, and I’d even go as far as saying he’s got the attention of the Origin selectors. The injury could have been worse, but it’s a momentum killer.

I am a massive fan of Alex. 100% type player who has a huge motor but I am not sure he would necessarily be on Origin radars as I think his attack is a work in progress. He takes his hit ups but being tall doesn’t really bend the line and doesn’t offload much. Actually, the offload is a bit of a weird one as I he looks to have an opportunity but chooses not to? I thought I read here when he signed that he had an awesome offload as a junior. For mine, he is a bit one dimensional in attack but defensively superb. Is that enough to get an origin jumper?

Depends on the coach. Freddy seems to like impact players on the bench. Passed up Matterson for Sims last year

Maybe Freddy thinks Mattersons a tool and a selfish terd. He seems to rate M Moses so I guess that throws that theory out. Haha.

Here’s an article I just saw, Freddy having a dig at Matterson for his comments about Thompson. On ya Freddy ?

https://t.co/DgKEYcSmdx
 
@JoshColeman99 said in [Twal](/post/1168327) said:
@Tcat said in [Twal](/post/1168176) said:
@JoshColeman99 said in [Twal](/post/1168122) said:
@bbobb said in [Twal](/post/1168116) said:
@GNR4LIFE said in [Twal](/post/1168000) said:
Such a shame,. Not just for the team, but for him personally. He’s just starting to turn heads, and I’d even go as far as saying he’s got the attention of the Origin selectors. The injury could have been worse, but it’s a momentum killer.

I am a massive fan of Alex. 100% type player who has a huge motor but I am not sure he would necessarily be on Origin radars as I think his attack is a work in progress. He takes his hit ups but being tall doesn’t really bend the line and doesn’t offload much. Actually, the offload is a bit of a weird one as I he looks to have an opportunity but chooses not to? I thought I read here when he signed that he had an awesome offload as a junior. For mine, he is a bit one dimensional in attack but defensively superb. Is that enough to get an origin jumper?

Depends on the coach. Freddy seems to like impact players on the bench. Passed up Matterson for Sims last year

Maybe Freddy thinks Mattersons a tool and a selfish terd. He seems to rate M Moses so I guess that throws that theory out. Haha.

Here’s an article I just saw, Freddy having a dig at Matterson for his comments about Thompson. On ya Freddy ?

https://t.co/DgKEYcSmdx

Good on you Freddy. Puts this imbecile back in his place. Hopefully he learns a valuable lesson from this and remembers that we allowed him to excel in our colours and hed be still cutting oranges at the Rorters.
 
@thedaboss said in [Twal](/post/1306883) said:
will this be the year he crosses the line....i think it will

Just looked up his stats:
0 tries in 66 games - is a lot of nudie runs.
I felt Twal has been around longer than that 66.
Only played 16 more games than Doueihi. Don’t remember that many injuries from Twal.
 
@lauren said in [Twal](/post/1306913) said:
@thedaboss said in [Twal](/post/1306883) said:
will this be the year he crosses the line....i think it will

I'd never cheered so hard for him to score a try, than in that Manly game at Campbelltown(I think). Think he got the ball from Robbie before halfway and passed to Mbye to score.

Every game I scream for them to give it to Twal so he can score ? surely this is the year
 
@mighty_tiger said in [Twal](/post/1306912) said:
Wow this thread is from the past but did anyone else read the 1st post again and started to get palpitations...

Hell yeah. Trying to look up injury reports, and couldn’t find anything. Then I see the date and think wtf. Who bumped this up. Start a new thread.
 
Alex Twal has been named as our 13 for round 1. With no other obvious contenders in the squad, he seems to be a lock-in for lock for the season, injuries permitting.

We know what he brings to the table - a great motor, work rate and defensive skills. Last season showed that you need more from your no. 13. He doesn't have to be a playmaker like Radley, but he needs to add something different that the front rowers don't do.

Has anyone been at training? Do we know if Twal has added any new dimensions to his game, like a step, pass or an offload? Maybe my eyes deceived me, but in the Manly trial he seemed to be faster than I remember. Maybe they want him to play like Cameron Murray.

Curious to see how he goes in the coming weeks.
 
@kazoo-kid said in [Alex Twal the lock](/post/1312265) said:
Alex Twal has been named as our 13 for round 1. With no other obvious contenders in the squad, he seems to be a lock-in for lock for the season, injuries permitting.

We know what he brings to the table - a great motor, work rate and defensive skills. Last season showed that you need more from your no. 13. He doesn't have to be a playmaker like Radley, but he needs to add something different that the front rowers don't do.

Has anyone been at training? Do we know if Twal has added any new dimensions to his game, like a step, pass or an offload? Maybe my eyes deceived me, but in the Manly trial he seemed to be faster than I remember. Maybe they want him to play like Cameron Murray.

Curious to see how he goes in the coming weeks.

He needs a step ..
Maybe put a rock in one of his boots 😆
 
@kazoo-kid said in [Alex Twal the lock](/post/1312265) said:
Alex Twal has been named as our 13 for round 1. With no other obvious contenders in the squad, he seems to be a lock-in for lock for the season, injuries permitting.

We know what he brings to the table - a great motor, work rate and defensive skills. Last season showed that you need more from your no. 13. He doesn't have to be a playmaker like Radley, but he needs to add something different that the front rowers don't do.

Has anyone been at training? Do we know if Twal has added any new dimensions to his game, like a step, pass or an offload? Maybe my eyes deceived me, but in the Manly trial he seemed to be faster than I remember. Maybe they want him to play like Cameron Murray.

Curious to see how he goes in the coming weeks.

His build / style is more in the Isaah Yeo mould. He will be our defensive leader for sure, his not the same size or shape to our front rowers and therefore I’m glad we have those positions reserved for our power players. But regardless you can’t leave him out of the side, I think he makes our strongest team. Maybe off the bench if a stronger lock pops up out of no where.
Wonder if Blore can play interchange lock / prop when his fit?
 
Yeo is a good ball runner and perfect 13 for the new rules speeding up the game
Twal on the other hand is an 80 min defender offers liitle in attack
We have a bit of a weakness in our squad with few NRL proven mobile backrowers,LL being the sole exception,and ironically for the first time ever we have a surplus of massive props...when the game has moved on (tho u can never have too many,and Im counting Packer in there!)
Id rather start Twal at 13 and move him into prop mid game,and bring in either a Bore/MCK type to replace him,or alternatively if Brooks doesnt fire at playmaking, bring Simpkins on at 13 if he is quick enough to capitalise on new rules
No I dont rate Garder either...misses too many critical tackles
Regrettable loss was CWH who went to Raiders..will be great under new rulesSo wld Bateman ,who is/was outstanding under any rules
 
@clontarfkid said in [Alex Twal the lock](/post/1312277) said:
Yeo is a good ball runner and perfect 13 for the new rules speeding up the game
Twal on the other hand is an 80 min defender offers liitle in attack
We have a bit of a weakness in our squad with few NRL proven mobile backrowers,LL being the sole exception,and ironically for the first time ever we have a surplus of massive props...when the game has moved on (tho u can never have too many,and Im counting Packer in there!)
Id rather start Twal at 13 and move him into prop mid game,and bring in either a Bore/MCK type to replace him,or alternatively if Brooks doesnt fire at playmaking, bring Simpkins on at 13 if he is quick enough to capitalise on new rules
No I dont rate Garder either...misses too many critical tackles
Regrettable loss was CWH who went to Raiders..will be great under new rulesSo wld Bateman ,who is/was outstanding under any rules

No for Simpkins and def no for MCK at lock.

Twal did look faster the other day. We cant judge his skillset this year until after Sunday. Wel have a better idea then. At the moment hes a 80min defensivive machine. Better than other alternatives. Dale finnucine is off contract this year. Would make our pack lethal.
 
Doueihi on a podcast talked about how Twal has become one of the main playmakers at training this off season and he showed his passing off in the trial. Definitely think we will see a lot more of it this season from him, add in that he can play 80, rarely misses a tackle and normally makes 10+ metres a run and finds his front I think he'll be one of our best players this year.
 
I think that 13 is quickly becoming one of the more important positions in the modern game. if Twal can get through his usual workload and add a passing game to his bag of tricks he will be a massive help.
 
Pretty sure I read or heard somewhere that he's been working pretty hard on an off load/passing game.

If he's gotten fully over the injury he was carrying towards the end of last season, I can see him being a player that goes to the next level this year.
 

Latest posts

Members online

Back
Top