Another Quick Forum Update

@conepuncher said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509121) said:
It's curious, the only threat of violence I saw was when one poster wanted to know where another was sitting at a tigers game so he could bash the other posters head in. This poster is from the very same group decrying how poorly they've been treated through harrassment. Was this not harrassment?

A reality check is in order and @Kul has done so respectfully and with warning. Threatening to punch someone at a tigers game does not meet these standards, nor the standards that some of you crying victim are asking for.

Very valid point.

@the_patriot said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509143) said:
@cochise said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509142) said:
@the_patriot said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509138) said:
Having been on this forum and previous forum incarnations for a number of years ive enjoyed the banter and many differing opinions put forward by its members.

There is no better site on the internet or social media platforms to gauge what the Wests Tigers community is thinking about certain topics. It has been a reflection of the ride that we have all been on.

What i love more than anything else is someone with a strong opinion. Someone who is not afraid to speak their mind and offer pure opinion based comments. What i hate more than anything else on here has been people who react negatively to these strong opinions while hardly ever offering their own . The guys who come out of the woodwork and harrass the OP for that opinion. Banging on and on trying to force a reaction or make them regretful of ever commenting in the first place.

This has been an issue for many years. Willows moderation style was to ban the person forced into a reaction rather than pull up the person responsible. The person who was not accepting of other peoples opinion. It was a style Cochise also fell victim to.

Over the years many many previously decent contributors were banned. One by one they fell on their sword while trying to defend their opinions.

While i applaud the efforts of all moderators and argue they almost always moderated to the rules the trouble was that the only people being banned were those with the strong and well thought out opinions.

Becoming tired of the stale nature of this place. I found myself on Discord recently.

To my surprise here was a group of so called troublemakers all getting a long like life long friends. I guess thats what happens when they all feel they have been treated poorly by those they had looked to to validate their right to have an opinion.

It was and still is a thing of beauty. I myself have mended a few bridges and now get on well with people who i had fell out with on this forum. Why, well thats the million dollar question.

The answer it seems is that when you allow people to express themselves to their full extent, like minded people with strong opinions come to respect those who disagree with them.

This has all come about not because of Discord but because someone posted a thread on League Unlimited about how bad this place had become.

The forum was not just over moderated but also housed a small group of guys who were chiefly responsible for many people being banned or turning their backs on the forum. The general consensus on League unlimited was that the moderation of this site was not paying enough attention to these agitators and had made this place a less enjoyable place to post.

Kul was made aware of the League Unlimited thread and i am not shocked at all he has made this decision.

Former user after former user of his forum all come forward with testimony to the same story. These were not Discord people these were League Unlimited people and their opinions carried a certain level of impartiality. A few of the Discord lads posted and told a similar story however the point is that they were not alone in this common story. A large section of of our fan base had turned their back on Kuls forum.

The issue was the style of moderation.

Let me be clear the issue was not the existence of moderation and rules. Everyone understands that it needs to exist and most people want a forum with clear guidelines and a family friendly environment.

@Kul appreciate you looking to improve this place. I have no doubt that many will return if the moderation style changes.

A thread that contained many personal attacks such as

There is another moderator called Cochise (we all call him ck cheese), who still gets bullied. He is a fat ugly baldy headed ginger [censored] with a big fat gunt. This guy is possibly the biggest fanboy loser I’ve ever encountered. He runs that soft ck supporters group ambush which gets ridiculed everywhere. He bans people who disagree with him as his intellect and knowledge are sub par.

Plus more against other posters here. That is where kul took his advice.

No I'd say that is where KUL asked himself why they are so upset.

No one should be spoken about in that way and the behaviour was rewarded. Anyway I'm done here

Having been on this forum and previous forum incarnations for a number of years ive enjoyed the banter and many differing opinions put forward by its members.

There is no better site on the internet or social media platforms to gauge what the Wests Tigers community is thinking about certain topics. It has been a reflection of the ride that we have all been on.

What i love more than anything else is someone with a strong opinion. Someone who is not afraid to speak their mind and offer pure opinion based comments. What i hate more than anything else on here has been people who react negatively to these strong opinions while hardly ever offering their own . The guys who come out of the woodwork and harrass the OP for that opinion. Banging on and on trying to force a reaction or make them regretful of ever commenting in the first place.

This has been an issue for many years. Willows moderation style was to ban the person forced into a reaction rather than pull up the person responsible. The person who was not accepting of other peoples opinion. It was a style Cochise also fell victim to.

Over the years many many previously decent contributors were banned. One by one they fell on their sword while trying to defend their opinions.

While i applaud the efforts of all moderators and argue they almost always moderated to the rules the trouble was that the only people being banned were those with the strong and well thought out opinions.

Becoming tired of the stale nature of this place. I found myself on Discord recently.

To my surprise here was a group of so called troublemakers all getting a long like life long friends. I guess thats what happens when they all feel they have been treated poorly by those they had looked to to validate their right to have an opinion.

It was and still is a thing of beauty. I myself have mended a few bridges and now get on well with people who i had fell out with on this forum. Why, well thats the million dollar question.

The answer it seems is that when you allow people to express themselves to their full extent, like minded people with strong opinions come to respect those who disagree with them.

This has all come about not because of Discord but because someone posted a thread on League Unlimited about how bad this place had become.

The forum was not just over moderated but also housed a small group of guys who were chiefly responsible for many people being banned or turning their backs on the forum. The general consensus on League unlimited was that the moderation of this site was not paying enough attention to these agitators and had made this place a less enjoyable place to post.

Kul was made aware of the League Unlimited thread and i am not shocked at all he has made this decision.

Former user after former user of his forum all come forward with testimony to the same story. These were not Discord people these were League Unlimited people and their opinions carried a certain level of impartiality. A few of the Discord lads posted and told a similar story however the point is that they were not alone in this common story. A large section of of our fan base had turned their back on Kuls forum.

Let me be clear the issue was not the existence of moderation and rules. Everyone understands that it needs to exist and most people want a forum with clear guidelines and a family friendly environment.

@Kul appreciate you looking to improve this place. I have no doubt that many will return if the moderation style changes.

There is another moderator called Cochise (we all call him ck cheese), who still gets bullied. He is a fat ugly baldy headed ginger [censored] with a big fat gunt. This guy is possibly the biggest fanboy loser I’ve ever encountered. He runs that soft ck supporters group ambush which gets ridiculed everywhere. He bans people who disagree with him as his intellect and knowledge are sub par.

No that stuff is unacceptable for any reason at all. The kind of person that tees off like that on a forum should be banned, deserves it.

@cochise said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509148) said:

No one should be spoken about in that way and the behaviour was rewarded. Anyway I'm done here

Thats your prerogative. Id be upset if that was said about me too.

Hopefully you can see the issues about agitators being offered a safe haven while formerly decent contributors were banned and became disheartened and bitter towards this place and those who banned them.

That may take a little time however.

Your continual attacks on people and the forum in general only confirm that Kul's decision was very correct.
Your temperament isn't that of a moderator. Posts like yours are why lurkers avoid joining.
Time to alter your attitude or perhaps move on to your happy place.

@jirskyr said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509152) said:

No that stuff is unacceptable for any reason at all. The kind of person that tees off like that on a forum should be banned, deserves it.

100% no issue with a banning for that kind of posting.

But as ive said if it was my forum id ask why are people so upset. I suggest you try and see it from Kuls point of view.

@pj said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509151) said:
I vote for @The_Patriot. Again

I'm not sure if @Kul is taking nominations, if he is, @The_Patriot would be my choice for consideration of new mod.

Maybe a break from all this will do you good.

Ithink that's best for your mental health and the health and vibrancy of the forum.

As the founder of the signing suggestion and rumours thread I clearly carry a great deal of clout on here and as such you should all take everything I say very seriously.

My opinion is Kul is right. This forum, while somewhat less toxic than other fan forums, had an issue with inflexibility. Some of the things I got mod warnings for would make you crack up big time. Willow in particular had moments where he'd entirely lost the plot and this decision was about 7 or 8 years too late. I don't recall ever having an issue with Cochise's moderating though. At any rate I am glad that Kul is reviewing the way the forum is run. The talk about the mods not being told about it is like ... yeah sounds lame I guess but whatever.

This is a rugby league forum. Moderate it to the standard the security team moderates Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday, not to the same standards my 3rd grade teacher everyone hated handled the class.

Notwithstanding forums are dying. Discord and Reddit is where the party at.

@the_patriot said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509157) said:

But as ive said if it was my forum id ask why are people so upset. I suggest you try and see it from Kuls point of view.

Where do you draw the line? What if it was a death threat? Do police ever look at it from the POV of someone making the threat?

Cant condone that.

Yep and I'm sure that sort of posting would never meet weststigersforum standards no matter who are the mods and what changes are made.

@gnr4life said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509163) said:

Where do you draw the line? What if it was a death threat? Do police ever look at it from the POV of someone making the threat?

That's a ridiculous analogy. And in your analogy, the lawyers and the courts would look at the circumstances behind said death threat before sentencing.

But again GNR, you're refusing to look inwards and acknowledge that there was a part to play from all parties in this.

No need to be over dramatic.

Neither of us know if he paid any mind to that comment. I was saying what i would do if people were that upset as to post in that fashion.

@conepuncher said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509169) said:

That's a ridiculous analogy. And in your analogy, the lawyers and the courts would look at the circumstances behind said death threat before sentencing.
**> But again GNR, you're refusing to look inwards and acknowledge that there was a part to play from all parties in this.**

Word!

@conepuncher said in [Another Quick Forum Update](/post/1509169) said:

But again GNR, you're refusing to look inwards and acknowledge that there was a part to play from all parties in this.

What do you mean again? I already told you that I was as much a part of the problem as much anyone else. A point you acknowledged, yet you want to still bring it up.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back