Attacking skills.

stryker

We used to be the champions of the counter attack / quick meter gaining through outstanding ball movement and promotion.

One of the key elements to this is having a large proportion of the team owning a very safe and skillful set of hands.

This year we are hopeless in this regard.The dropped ball over the past month has been diabolical. A quick exchange of passing has resulted in either a spilt ball outright, or the loss of the pill in the eventual tackle…usually when we are looking dangerous.

The other thing in previous years has been the quality of the passing being of a far higher standard, with the obvious exception of Benji's little brainsnaps over the sideline...This may be put down to the fact that the runners are not hitting holes at speed therefore making the balls look more impressive than they actually are.

In general I believe we have lost our way in attack so much that it is effecting our entire attitude towards the games other departments - Defense, Discipline and the Kick chase. These are terrible themselves.

I thought that todays performance was an utter disgrace - not because we were flogged but because we didnt try. Saints and Melbourne would have put 70 - 80 on us today.

So my question is to those who are in the know....what exactly do we do at training? It cant be much ballwork as there seems to be an ever depreciating level of skill in this department. It cant be defensive work as the boys still let simple tries in....Is it all weight sessions and video work??

Royce now does the attack (Sheens on NRL tactics 2 weeks ago)
Remember how good the defence was when Royce did that ?

What was Royce's role in the Test side?

Couldn't believe my eyes whe I saw him adressing the players at half time. Some looked like they were even listening!!

@stryker said:
We used to be the champions of the counter attack / quick meter gaining through outstanding ball movement and promotion.

One of the key elements to this is having a large proportion of the team owning a very safe and skillful set of hands.

This year we are hopeless in this regard.The dropped ball over the past month has been diabolical. A quick exchange of passing has resulted in either a spilt ball outright, or the loss of the pill in the eventual tackle…usually when we are looking dangerous.

The other thing in previous years has been the quality of the passing being of a far higher standard, with the obvious exception of Benji's little brainsnaps over the sideline...This may be put down to the fact that the runners are not hitting holes at speed therefore making the balls look more impressive than they actually are.

In general I believe we have lost our way in attack so much that it is effecting our entire attitude towards the games other departments - Defense, Discipline and the Kick chase. These are terrible themselves.

I thought that todays performance was an utter disgrace - not because we were flogged but because we didnt try. Saints and Melbourne would have put 70 - 80 on us today.

So my question is to those who are in the know....what exactly do we do at training? It cant be much ballwork as there seems to be an ever depreciating level of skill in this department. It cant be defensive work as the boys still let simple tries in....Is it all weight sessions and video work??

Its not as if most of the dropped ball is coming from brilliant ball movement; most of it is simply dropped in tackles. You fair dinkum would not believe it unless you saw it.

6 tries in our last 4 games is very concerning when we are pretty much only an attacking team

Th attack has disappeared, even when Benji and Robbie get the ball in their hands I'm finding myself less and less excited because they are coming up with dumb plays or attacking movements which are going nowhere. Some serious problems at Concord need to be addressed ASAP.

@stryker said:
What was Royce's role in the Test side?

Couldn't believe my eyes whe I saw him adressing the players at half time. Some looked like they were even listening!!

Well at least he has the same effect on the test side he does on us.

Royce is consistent.

Let's be honest he was a mediocre grafter as a player and although he hasn't reached the heights of mediocre as a coach he will get there eventually with a few good seasons.

I think he was reminding Inglis and Slater of a bag night they had at Kicks Nightclub at Parra Leagues after Penrith beat Newtown 11-5 in 1981 at Henson Park and he was wondering what sort of tales Bellamy told them to get them up for big games

Back