Balmain Leagues Club

Couldn't give a rats about the name - just keen to sink a few before stumbling down to Leichhardt!!

Would be a massive step forward though if this gets opened and we start playing all our games out of (hopefully redeveloped) Leichhardt + Campbelltown.

How sweet would that be. Sunday arvo game, grab some lunch with like minded people. Wander down to the game. Be back at 630 have a few. Bring it on.

For those wondering why it should be called Balmain Leagues Club I suggest you check out Google maps to see the area where it’s located.
If Wests were to eventually own it I imagine it would be called Wests Balmain… if they stuck to their current naming strategy.

For those wondering why it should be called Balmain Leagues Club I suggest you check out Google maps to see the area where it’s located.
If Wests were to eventually own it I imagine it would be called Wests Balmain… if they stuck to their current naming strategy.
Wests already own any club that will be built there, it looks to me like they will be calling it Balmain Leagues Club. Balmain Leagues and Wests Ashfield are now one and the same group.

Holman Barnes Group are doing
great things for the joint venture
This article explains things well:

Also worth noting that the precint
has shops, restaurants residential
which will bring a lot more foot
traffic into the leagues club unlike
before when it was a stand alone

December 12, 2022

Wests Ashfield comes under the new Holman Barnes brand.
Wests Ashfield Leagues, Croydon Sports, Markets Club in Homebush and the redeveloped Balmain Leagues Club will now fall under a new umbrella brand, Holman Barnes Group, named for two legendary rugby league footballers. The group also has representation in Wests Magpies and shareholding at Wests Tigers whose derelict former home is soon to be rebuilt.
Keith Holman MBE and Keith Barnes AM, included in the list of the nation’s finest footballers of the 20th century with both admitted into the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame, have been honoured in the creation of the new umbrella brand.
Keith Holman was honoured with life membership of Western Suburbs while still playing, was selected in the Wests Tigers Team of the Century and Western Suburbs Magpies Team of the Century, and appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire in 1977.
Keith Barnes was a fullback for Balmain Tigers and captain of the Australian national team on 12 occasions. He was selected in Balmain’s Team of the Century and Wests Tigers Team of the Century and appointed a Member of the Order of Australia in 1996.
The two also played in the era when Wests Ashfield was founded and with the first-ever game Western Suburbs Magpies played being against the Balmain Tigers at Birchgrove Oval in 1908, the pairing of these two greats perfectly echoes the historical link between the two teams, the club group said.
“These iconic Wests players possess an unflagging spirit and determination, with an ability to bring people together both on and off the field,” Holman Barnes CEO Simon Cook said. “It’s our desire to harness this same spirit, forge a partnership and launch a brand that will acknowledge them now and for a long time into the future.”
The new branding, by marketing agency Brilliant Logic, capitalises on a 22-year joint venture with the Tigers and draws on data from focus groups and member surveys.
“Serving our community is at the centre of everything we do and our reason for being in business, so it only made sense to ask members what they wanted to see when we were considering an umbrella brand,” Cook said. “Overall, our members wanted a brand that was inclusive, mindful of tradition and appropriate to the rugby league spirit.
The new Holman Barnes combined club website under the new branding and logo.
“This umbrella brand is an exciting next step for us – it melds history with a contemporary look and feel that we believe has longevity in the marketplace. We hope our members are happy with the end result,” he continued.
While the names of individual clubs will not change, the Holman Barnes Group brand features a new tagline ‘Bringing People Together’. This will help drive strategy and inform product offerings in each of the venues to cater to sporting fans, retirees and families.
“The vision behind the change is to launch a group brand that is distinct and unique.
The new name will end the confusion between our entities and other organisations with similar names. It allows us to continue to serve the community in different ways while maintaining one strong identity,” Cook said. “So far, the new name has already been embraced by our employees and stakeholders and we’re excited to see it go live.
“The people in our community are the backbone of our organisation and this change is just one example of our continual endeavour to be a place of connection for them all.”

Ok, if we play all the nrl Tigers games at LO I can handle reserve grade side being called Magpies ;)
Lol I don’t think we’ll play every game at LO not unless the MacArthur region doesn’t want us coming there anymore.

Holman Barnes Group are doing
great things for the joint venture
This article explains things well:

Also worth noting that the precint
has shops, restaurants residential
which will bring a lot more foot
traffic into the leagues club unlike
before when it was a stand alone

December 12, 2022

Wests Ashfield comes under the new Holman Barnes brand.
Wests Ashfield Leagues, Croydon Sports, Markets Club in Homebush and the redeveloped Balmain Leagues Club will now fall under a new umbrella brand, Holman Barnes Group, named for two legendary rugby league footballers. The group also has representation in Wests Magpies and shareholding at Wests Tigers whose derelict former home is soon to be rebuilt.
Keith Holman MBE and Keith Barnes AM, included in the list of the nation’s finest footballers of the 20th century with both admitted into the Australian Rugby League Hall of Fame, have been honoured in the creation of the new umbrella brand.
Keith Holman was honoured with life membership of Western Suburbs while still playing, was selected in the Wests Tigers Team of the Century and Western Suburbs Magpies Team of the Century, and appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire in 1977.
Keith Barnes was a fullback for Balmain Tigers and captain of the Australian national team on 12 occasions. He was selected in Balmain’s Team of the Century and Wests Tigers Team of the Century and appointed a Member of the Order of Australia in 1996.
The two also played in the era when Wests Ashfield was founded and with the first-ever game Western Suburbs Magpies played being against the Balmain Tigers at Birchgrove Oval in 1908, the pairing of these two greats perfectly echoes the historical link between the two teams, the club group said.
“These iconic Wests players possess an unflagging spirit and determination, with an ability to bring people together both on and off the field,” Holman Barnes CEO Simon Cook said. “It’s our desire to harness this same spirit, forge a partnership and launch a brand that will acknowledge them now and for a long time into the future.”
The new branding, by marketing agency Brilliant Logic, capitalises on a 22-year joint venture with the Tigers and draws on data from focus groups and member surveys.
“Serving our community is at the centre of everything we do and our reason for being in business, so it only made sense to ask members what they wanted to see when we were considering an umbrella brand,” Cook said. “Overall, our members wanted a brand that was inclusive, mindful of tradition and appropriate to the rugby league spirit.
The new Holman Barnes combined club website under the new branding and logo.
“This umbrella brand is an exciting next step for us – it melds history with a contemporary look and feel that we believe has longevity in the marketplace. We hope our members are happy with the end result,” he continued.
While the names of individual clubs will not change, the Holman Barnes Group brand features a new tagline ‘Bringing People Together’. This will help drive strategy and inform product offerings in each of the venues to cater to sporting fans, retirees and families.
“The vision behind the change is to launch a group brand that is distinct and unique.
The new name will end the confusion between our entities and other organisations with similar names. It allows us to continue to serve the community in different ways while maintaining one strong identity,” Cook said. “So far, the new name has already been embraced by our employees and stakeholders and we’re excited to see it go live.
“The people in our community are the backbone of our organisation and this change is just one example of our continual endeavour to be a place of connection for them all.”
Whoever wrote that needs a rocket up the khyber. " Wests Tigers whose derelict former home is soon to be rebuilt." And Simon Cook who is CEO of WA and on the board of WT comes out with this drivel " “These iconic Wests players possess an unflagging spirit and determination, with an ability to bring people together both on and off the field,” Holman Barnes CEO Simon Cook said." I don't remember Barnes ever playing for Wests. Talk about rewriting history - Cook would be a worthy contributor on the forum.

Whoever wrote that needs a rocket up the khyber. " Wests Tigers whose derelict former home is soon to be rebuilt." And Simon Cook who is CEO of WA and on the board of WT comes out with this drivel " “These iconic Wests players possess an unflagging spirit and determination, with an ability to bring people together both on and off the field,” Holman Barnes CEO Simon Cook said." I don't remember Barnes ever playing for Wests. Talk about rewriting history - Cook would be a worthy contributor on the forum.

Up the khyber haha I noticed that
too. Rest of the article was okay ..

Maybe he has multiple accounts on here lol.

Yeah, I know he bent over too far.

At the end of the day the HB group is a feel good story that was well thought out.

As @cochise said earlier it's an idea whereby both football and Leagues and other entities can exist as separate identities under the one umbrella.

I prefer this than say just a Wests Tigers identity with few links to our individual constituents.

Last edited:
Geez, I’m just hanging out for a roast of the day from the old bistro washed down with a couple of cold schooners while watching a 6pm replay of the Sunday game at Leichhardt.
Is that too much to ask ! Just knock the bloody thing down and get on with it !!!

Just watch it live at 4pm from Ashfield, no point
waiting on Balmain Leagues. It's a schemozzle

Geez, I’m just hanging out for a roast of the day from the old bistro washed down with a couple of cold schooners while watching a 6pm replay of the Sunday game at Leichhardt.
Is that too much to ask ! Just knock the bloody thing down and get on with it !!!
I agree with you Hal. Rip the bloody thing down now!!!!!

Surprise surprise. If they push for an increase in the amount of dwellings; will this will have to go through the whole planning approval process again?

Surprise surprise. If they push for an increase in the amount of dwellings; will this will have to go through the whole planning approval process again?
Yep.
To a certain extent though. NSW Gov is trying to push through laws that remove any restrictions on property development within a 1km radius of a Metro station. If that passes then there's minimal approvals needed, council and community have no involvement in the process.

While the rationale has some, have more people living near mass transit, there needs to be certain limits and the impacts on the surrounding area needs to be considered.

The roads are already packed, there's no parking, schools are full, not enough green spaces and sports fields for local teams etc an extra 20-30k people living in Balmain-rozelle would have a devastating impact. Medium rise development is what the area is best suited to

Yep.
To a certain extent though. NSW Gov is trying to push through laws that remove any restrictions on property development within a 1km radius of a Metro station. If that passes then there's minimal approvals needed, council and community have no involvement in the process.

While the rationale has some, have more people living near mass transit, there needs to be certain limits and the impacts on the surrounding area needs to be considered.

The roads are already packed, there's no parking, schools are full, not enough green spaces and sports fields for local teams etc an extra 20-30k people living in Balmain-rozelle would have a devastating impact. Medium rise development is what the area is best suited to
That’s right but our politicians are bending over left, right and centre for perceived favour with Chinese developers.

They’re not considering things for you and I anymore

Latest posts

Members online

Back