Balmain Leagues Club

@gallagher The Tigers tried to build one adjacent to Qudos but got knocked back ... that entertainment and huge residential areas are crying out for a venue like a club . I have said previously Meriton is building towers everywhere there and the club has OFarrell with his political connections surely the West’s group should try relocating the club at Flemington to Olympic Park ... now that would be a game changer !

@Snake said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065215) said:
@gallagher The Tigers tried to build one adjacent to Qudos but got knocked back ... that entertainment and huge residential areas are crying out for a venue like a club . I have said previously Meriton is building towers everywhere there and the club has OFarrell with his political connections surely the West’s group should try relocating the club at Flemington to Olympic Park ... now that would be a game changer !

I could see why they would knock back a new club, but now its just moving premises within the same council it may make it more likely. If they are thinking that way.

@gallagher it is not the same council one is Strathfeld the other Paramatta

@gallagher said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065146) said:
How good would be a tigers leagues near the stadium at Homebush.

Agree. That would be amazing. We'd be able to firm up a full time ANZ agreement.

@Snake said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065313) said:
@gallagher it is not the same council one is Strathfeld the other Paramatta

Ah right, been out of sydney for a while.

@Cultured_Bogan said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065316) said:

Agree. That would be amazing. We'd be able to firm up a full time ANZ agreement.

Even I would accept ANZ fulltime if we had a club there, only question I would have is would Flemington have enough pokie licences to make it viable?

@cochise said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065321) said:

Even I would accept ANZ fulltime if we had a club there, only question I would have is would Flemington have enough pokie licences to make it viable?

I think that club could get away with only having a small pokie contingent. It would be an entertainment venue in an entertainment precinct. Always something going on there, could be a launching pad for nights out. It'd be packed out any night of the week something was happening there.

@cochise You should have read the statement released by the club this week it gives an outline on the consolidation of the clubs ...the West’s group have the unused pokie licences for Balmains Five dock club and the old Rozelle club .. plenty of money in that lot not even being used !

@Cultured_Bogan said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065325) said:

I think that club could get away with only having a small pokie contingent. It would be an entertainment venue in an entertainment precinct. Always something going on there, could be a launching pad for nights out. It'd be packed out any night of the week something was happening there.

Then why doesn't the area have a venue like that already? it has been there over 20 years now

@Snake said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065330) said:
@cochise You should have read the statement released by the club this week it gives an outline on the consolidation of the clubs ...the West’s group have the unused pokie licences for Balmains Five dock club and the old Rozelle club .. plenty of money in that lot not even being used !

I read it, missed the Five Dock licences going to Wests. I guess it depends on what happens at Rozelle.

@cochise said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065331) said:
@Cultured_Bogan said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065325) said:

Then why doesn't the area have a venue like that already? it has been there over 20 years now

Well there is a pub there already. Maybe there's a exclusivity agreement or something to that effect.

I don't know the ins and outs, just supposition on my part.

@Geo said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065341) said:
@cochise said in [Balmain Leagues Club](/post/1065338) said:
Did Balmain sell any licences while trying to stay afloat?

No

Thanks mate, just know that is a strategy many clubs use when they are struggling to cover debt!

Police hunt men who
ran from club fire

LACHLAN LEEMING

POLICE are investigating reports two men were seen running from near the Balmain Leagues Club shortly before the decrepit site went up in flames on Saturday afternoon.

Authorities have deemed the blaze - which further damaged the already gutted and decaying former club - as suspicious, after fire ripped through the structure about 4.30pm.

The fire was extinguished by Fire and Rescue NSW officers a short time later, with officers from Leichhardt Police Area Command establishing a crime scene.

The cause of the fire remains unknown with police now pursuing reports that two men were seen running from the area shortly after it went up.

The site has been abandoned since 2010, with $400m plans by developer Heworth approved in 2020 greenlighting a rebuilt club, 167 apartments, and a supermarket, allowing the Wests Tigers to return to their Rozelle home.

However that project could still be a decade away from fruition, with Transport SW acquiring the site late last year, with plans to use it for seven years as a dirt dump during the construction of the 17.8km Western Harbour Tunnel.

Inner West Council Mayor Darcy Byrne on Sunday said it was "no surprise" the eyesore -now a haven for graffiti and bearing little resemblance to the buzzing club it once was - went up in flames.

He said he had repeatedly called for the building to be demolished.

You sure Balmain weren't selling off the Pokie Licenses mate - I remember something at the time they were selling off assets (Pokies) to keep trading - Someone found out and it was an issue....

Back