Beau ryan has to go

@Geo. said:
No but in saying that….What if there was a better option....? Rhys Pritchard

What if he doesn't settle into first grade immediately, lets in a try or two and kills off any slim chance we have of making the finals this year and earns the ire of WT fans and is forever banished by Sheens back to State Cup, never to return. Then again, maybe he kills it straight away. Is it worth taking the risk at this stage, when Beau is getting the job done just fine?

@T91 said:
By the way Moltzen has flourished at 7 because of the confidence gained by playing 1st grade all season & earlier in the season it was way too early to shift him there…

Not to have a direct go at you but how do you know this was the case? Moltzen always seemed pretty confident (To me) as soon as he entered first grade, yet people are stating the same thing you have as if it is fact.

No one knows for sure….but the NRL is littered with players that were thrown in to early.... just on halfbacks I can think of Tim Smith, Todd Carney, Peter Wallace, Chris Sandow, Brett Seymour, Josh Lewis who have either imploded or are on the way to imploding because their introduction to the week in week out grind of the NRL was not managed correctly..

Sheens for all his faults has a nak of turning potential into reality more often than not.....The list of players he developed from kids is endless....you don't have to think to hard to come up with a few but Fittler, Alexander, Daley, Clyde, Meninga, Stuart Farah, Prince spring to mind....but I guess that doesn't mean squat when he can't get us to the finals...I'm just glad It's Sheens guiding Moltzen not punters like you and I......

@Danos said:
@Geo. said:
No but in saying that….What if there was a better option....? Rhys Pritchard

What if he doesn't settle into first grade immediately, lets in a try or two and kills off any slim chance we have of making the finals this year and earns the ire of WT fans and is forever banished by Sheens back to State Cup, never to return. Then again, maybe he kills it straight away. Is it worth taking the risk at this stage, when Beau is getting the job done just fine?

That could well and truely happen….What if Pritchard burns it up and is the next Izzi....

I'm happy for Ryan to be in the team...I think he plays his roll well....he gets his job done..All players run the risk of the mistakes you mention sometimes you just get a feeling about a player I reckon Pritchard would add more than Ryan that's all....

Well let's look at Ryan's strengths…He has a go pretty much every week (one exception was the Cowboys this season where he didn't put his body on the line during the Payne grubber). He takes plenty of hitups and can tackle, and is pretty safe under the high ball.

Weaknesses? Lack of outright speed first and foremost. Beau is a lot smaller than Tuiaki but is no quicker than him IMO. Can be caught out defensively but overall I think his defence is ok. Also, for his lack of pace he also doesn't have an exceptional sidestep in his game. As such he's not what you would call a genuine finisher and as such the Tigers do not send a lot of their key attacking plays to his side of the field. He was also running sideways far too much earlier in the season, although he seems to have cut this out of late.

We certainly possess quicker options in the lower grades. I've seen Pritchard a couple of times, but from those occasions he's shown good pace, has a good sidestep and is at least as strong as Ryan, who I do think is pretty strong for his size.

So while Ryan may not be setting the world alight in FG, he's not doing anything particularly wrong that warrants him being dropped IMO. Let's face it, when Fitzhenry was around, he could come up with some real shockers and plenty would be calling for his head. I'd like to see someone with more attacking flair given a go, some genuine speed on the right wing would be nice, but realistically I don't think we'll see a change until next season when some new faces join the club.

The bagging of Ryan on here is definitely unwarranted. I don't think he's cost us a game or really slipped up all season. In terms of consistency, something the Tigers usually lack, he would be one of, if not the most, consistent player in the team. It would be unwise to change him at this stage of the season.

Sheens moved Pritchard from the centres at wests and put him on the wing about 3 weeks ago,,why would he do that when Pritchard was in the centres all season and actually keep out Peni Tagive when he returned from injury. leading NSW cup try scorer at the time,and most of rhys tries come from 30m out or more,,played for NSW residents at centre two weeks ago ?

@weststigers said:
The bagging of Ryan on here is definitely unwarranted. I don't think he's cost us a game or really slipped up all season. In terms of consistency, something the Tigers usually lack, he would be one of, if not the most, consistent player in the team. It would be unwise to change him at this stage of the season.

I don't think anyone is saying he's stuffed up… but you have to do more than "not stuff up" to warrant a selection week in, week out... We focus all our attack down one side of the field and as a result Tuiaki is really starting to look worn out towards the backend of games... It also means we run out of options when we are attacking another teams line. He's got to be the slowest bloke in a wing position I've seen for years, doesn't have much agility or acceleration and is tiny..

Also it's hard to stuff up when all you do is catch a ball... run sideways and fall to the ground in every single tackle!

Tuiaki is tired from our left side attacking raids, that will do me.

@Kaiser said:
@weststigers said:

I don't think anyone is saying he's stuffed up… but you have to do more than "not stuff up" to warrant a selection week in, week out... We focus all our attack down one side of the field and as a result Tuiaki is really starting to look worn out towards the backend of games... It also means we run out of options when we are attacking another teams line. He's got to be the slowest bloke in a wing position I've seen for years, doesn't have much agility or acceleration and is tiny..

Also it's hard to stuff up when all you do is catch a ball... run sideways and fall to the ground in every single tackle!

I see your point, but we've bought well in that area for next year and I'm sure things will change, however there'd be no point in changing anything now. He's solid in 1st grade and that's what we need. Not an unproven youngster at this stage of the season.

Staff online

Members online

Back