Building resilience in NRL teams

BAGNF05

An interesting report on how different teams build resilience and camaraderie. As Robbo said, it’s a fine line.

Also interested to read that Topine’s agent was shopping him to rival clubs despite his (alleged) permanent psychiatric injury.

All those activities sound fine. They either have a "laugh" element (Nudie run, powerpoint) or are individually/team physical (running back to HQ, army drills).

None of those are the same as the ostracisation of Topine.

Robbo said it well. "“You have to push players to be at their best, and you’ve got to care for them at the same time". The dogs skipped the latter.

Fairly sure if I tried to implement any of those in any other corporate environment then I would be sacked and probably arrested. Not sure that in 2024 getting naked and being slapped on the butt by my colleagues is legitimate. I get sport is a somewhat different environment but its 2024. The army camps actually sound the least worst of all of them although im not sure how some of those things pass their legal obligations.

Fairly sure if I tried to implement any of those in any other corporate environment then I would be sacked and probably arrested. Not sure that in 2024 getting naked and being slapped on the butt by my colleagues is legitimate. I get sport is a somewhat different environment but its 2024. The army camps actually sound the least worst of all of them although im not sure how some of those things pass their legal obligations.
Comparing RL to corporates is your first error. I’ve been involved in both and sure as shit don’t want footy to be anything like the corporate world.

A bit over the top this extreme team building. I think a Lego camp would be just as beneficial or making sand sculptures instead of endlessly running up sandhills

Yeah that ocean example seemed stupid!
You have to wonder about the question..’at what point do the players lose trust in the coach?’ Most coaches have played a few games, but do they have a background in human behavioural science? Or any other qualification which equips them for this level of training? Most have only played a few games.

A bit over the top this extreme team building. I think a Lego camp would be just as beneficial or making sand sculptures instead of endlessly running up sandhills
Yeah the old days were better, get your fitness from doing the garbo runs, build camaraderie from fighting bikies at strip joints, skills work Tuesday and Thursday nights and maintain weight by drinking beer and eating steak.

Yeah the old days were better, get your fitness from doing the garbo runs, build camaraderie from fighting bikies at strip joints, skills work Tuesday and Thursday nights and maintain weight by drinking beer and eating steak.
Nobody will ever convince me that beers don’t play a strong part in team building. Barriers come down, stronger connections are formed, people make memories enjoying each others company and that transfers into more care for one another when the chips are down. Just because it’s old school doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Beats horse riding too.

Big breakfast on the day of the game too, possibly involving steak, but most certainly involving half kilo of bacon and a couple of eggs.

An interesting report on how different teams build resilience and camaraderie. As Robbo said, it’s a fine line.

Also interested to read that Topine’s agent was shopping him to rival clubs despite his (alleged) permanent psychiatric injury.

Topine’s agent, Tyran Smith, sent an email to all 17 clubs on April 8 with a list of his off-contract players that included Topine. There is no suggestion Topine’s legal team knew about Smith’s email.

The email from Smith was sent less than three weeks before the statement of claim was lodged followed on from a similar email on December 19 last year that also included Topine as an available player. There is no suggestion Smith knew about the coming legal action.

He told the Herald Topine’s name had been included on a list of available players that was generated by his agency’s computer.

“This is a list which shows NRL players who were coming off contract in 2024,” Smith said. “It is a list generated by our system on an annual basis. Jackson’s name was on the list because our system noted him as coming off contract with the Bulldogs in 2024. In Jackson’s case the uncertainty of his long-term prognosis has meant he has been taken off the list.”

The email, which has been seen by the Herald, said: “Jackson Topine is known for his exceptional work ethic and attitude towards growth and success.

“As the recipient of the 2022 clubman of the year award at the Bulldogs, his approach to being part of the squad impressed his team through his enthusiasm, effort and positivity. In his limited number of first-grade appearances, he has shown an extremely high tackle efficiency (93.5% in 2023, 94.3% in 2022, and 97.2% in 2021), which is a reflection of his grit and high endurance.
Jackson Topine on Wednesday commenced legal proceedings against the Bulldogs.

Jackson Topine on Wednesday commenced legal proceedings against the Bulldogs.CREDIT:NRL IMAGERY

“He represented the Maori All-Stars during 2021 in a 10-10 draw, and played in the 2022 NSW Cup grand final against the Penrith Panthers.”

Some forum members apparently like this prehistoric S&M-tinged homo-erotic schoolboy stuff...

I can assure yout that most Pacifika kids aren't into it!!

The dinosaurs should do it on their own time and not in a professional sporting environment in the 21st century!!

@BAGNF05

And check the author of the article - Michael Chammas who works for Nine/SMH along with Gus who he shares a seat with on their panel shows....

Some forum members apparently like this prehistoric S&M-tinged homo-erotic schoolboy stuff...

I can assure yout that most Pacifika kids aren't into it!!

The dinosaurs should do it on their own time and not in a professional sporting environment in the 21st century!!

@BAGNF05
Keep telling yourself it’s all professional nowadays mate, and played by robots.

The same robots Braydon was thinking about as he drove home buzzed on Monday morning.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back