Central Coast Bears

Sabre

CENTRAL COAST Bears have already received interest from potential backers after releasing an investor document during the week. The Bears have held preliminary talks with interested parties as they ramp up their bid for readmission into the NRL for 2013.
>
"Even after all the drama that the game has gone through, we're finding there are still people in the market interested in investing in the game," Bears chief executive Greg Florimo said. "We've had a positive response since going to the market, people want to talk to us."
>
The investor document - obtained by The Sun-Herald - provides detailed financial projections, an outline of the club's management structure and demographic information on the region the Bears will represent. It also contains supporting statements from some of sport's most influential names including Wayne Bennett, Andrew Johns, Peter Sterling, Wally Lewis, Shane Webcke, Wayne Pearce and the Nine Network's sports boss, Steve Crawley.
>
"The people of the Central Coast and north shore of Sydney deserve their own team and I am 100 per cent behind the push for the Central Coast Bears to be granted an NRL licence," Bennett said in the document.
>
The Bears held a function in the Sydney CBD on Thursday night to provide an update on the latest developments in their bid to re-join the competition. About 300 fans, potential investors and league identities heard Florimo and coach-in-waiting David Fairleigh outline their vision for the club. The event also doubled as the official launch of the club's membership drive.
>
"It's very exciting to be able to build the culture of a football club from the ground up," Fairleigh said.
>
"This will be a team which North Sydney and the Central Coast will be able to call their own."
>
**Wests Tigers forward Chris Heighington has already been touted as the first signing and captain for the Bears. And The Sun-Herald can reveal that Queensland and Australian halfback Johnathan Thurston, the game's best player, is next in their sights.**
>
"You couldn't get a bigger name in the game and he's playing the best football of his career," Florimo said. "Someone of Thurston's ilk adds an incredible amount of credibility to the football club.
>
"He brings a level of maturity that we're looking for as we move forward. Having someone of his calibre would be a fantastic drawcard to an emerging team.
>
"We intend to talk to Johnathan firsthand about our intentions and make it known that we want him to be, alongside Chris Heighington, one of our marquee signings."

Imagine Heighno's inaugural speech! Listen to his infamous Grand Final comments. :laughing:

I sort've hope they do get in, the Central Coast deserves a team and they have been rorted badly in the past with the Northern Eagles & Hunter Mariners.

While initially I was upset at the thought of Heighno moving on, I can understand if/when it does happen.

They'll chuck lots of cash at him and he'll be in the twilight of his career by 2013.

Good luck to them.

The Central Coast need a team baaaaadly.

They have great facilities and the locals deserve a team of their own. Would love to see the Bears back in the comp in the coming years.

Plus the area is a good breeding ground with the like of Moltzen, Heighno, Matt Orford to mention a few.

I can see that the central coast deserve a team. My only concern is that it is a bit too close to Sydney. I don't think they should be let in until at least 1 team from Sydney moves or folds.

A team on the CC is a must. A good stadium and plenty of people who would love to have there own team.

@Geo. said:
King Sirro will be happy….Heighington>>>>>>>>>>>C C Bears.....

Indeed. Mind you by the time the Bears are ready to kick off Heighno will be 30 and who knows who the Tigers will have waiting in the wings by then.

I live on the coast and would like our own team,but not the Bears I dont want to be aligned to the old North Syd . Give us a team with a new start… But i will allways be a TIGER at heart..

Sorry, I reckon the train has left the station. I thought that Singo wouldn't back it. The NRL had their chance and blew it with the Northern Eagles.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest coming from struggling clubs (eg - the Sharks) to rellocate to the Central Coast, a very good stadium to move into and an $8million carrot being dangled by the NRL to move there, and David Gallop said himself he would up that offer given the current economic climate, so I reckon a club could squeeze $10 or $11 mil out of the NRL to move there.

They must realise the locals might not take well to another moved franchise and want their own.

@Zaibatsu said:
I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest coming from struggling clubs (eg - the Sharks) to rellocate to the Central Coast, a very good stadium to move into and an $8million carrot being dangled by the NRL to move there, and David Gallop said himself he would up that offer given the current economic climate, so I reckon a club could squeeze $10 or $11 mil out of the NRL to move there.

They must realise the locals might not take well to another moved franchise and want their own.

That's it Zaib. The CC want their own team, not a make shift team, hence why the Northern Eagles didnt work.

The locals love sport, they'll watch anything, hence why the Mariners aren't doing too badly in that round ball game.

They've got such a good set up there and everything going for them. 60-90min drive from Sydney, 5min walk from Gosford station (train takes 75mins from Central) and right across the road from the Leagues Club. Majority of representative teams use the facilities there as a base, the NSW SOO team being the current example. But other teams such as the Storm who play in Sydney one week then Newcastle the next often stay on the CC for the extra week instead of returning to Melbourne.

I would like to see the Bears return as a Central Coast team but I don't think the NRL will let it happen unless one of the Sydney teams fold, merge or relocate. There are too many teams in NSW as it is.

If they can get the corporate backing, you can bet your bottom dollar they will be running around in a couple of years. The Coast is a massive supporter of rugby league, and if the team is based there (training, all games, community work) unlike the Northern Eagles, they will be supported. A current population base of 400k and growing will make sure of that.

Interestingly, they are also claiming the north shore of Sydney - ie: from North Sydney, through to Chatswood, Pymble, Wahroonga and Hornsby, and all the way up the F3 - smart move because there is no entrenched winter code on the north shore.

@tigh said:
Interestingly, they are also claiming the north shore of Sydney - ie: from North Sydney, through to Chatswood, Pymble, Wahroonga and Hornsby, and all the way up the F3 - smart move because there is no entrenched winter code on the north shore.

they'll probably want the juniors from those areas. I didn't think that there were many rugby league juniors from those suburbs though. if they were to return to the nrl then i would like to see them play 1 match per year at north sydney oval against manly (heritage week)

The North Shore is very Union oriented. Majority of the schools out west play league, whereas the North Shore private schools starting as low as Hunters Hill (Joeys) are all Union based.

If theyre to capture the North Shore market they need at least one or two games at North Sydney Oval.

They have the backing of Channel 9 (which is pretty much all the NRL wants to hear) and have support from guys like Peter Sterling (who lives on the Central Coast, about 10mins from Gosford) and have a former footballer in Greg Florimo organising everything.

I hope it all works out for them soon.

@The Phantom said:
I live on the coast and would like our own team,but not the Bears I dont want to be aligned to the old North Syd . Give us a team with a new start… But i will allways be a TIGER at heart..

Here here!! A team for the coast - but not the Bears. Go back into hibernation you black and red nobodies.

Back