Chris McQueen signs - Official

I won't be doing cartwheels if we sign him, but he's a solid first grader. Would be a handy enough pick up.

another player looking for a retirement package at Weststigers. Ballin was bad enough and we do not need to compound the mistake by signing another over the hill player. If we have money, wait until the coaching position is finalised so that coach can attract the players wanted.

If it for 2018\. No. I don't think we need to jump at him. Get the big4 and others signed ahead of him.
If it's for 2017, then yes if we can sign him with whatever was left of Simona's money and still staying under the cap. We need a good edge defender.

@jadtiger said:
@happy tiger said:
McQueen's 29 , didn't realize he was that old …...

He was at souths for a long time.A 3 year contract from next year would mean we would have him till he was 33.I would have hoped as a club we would have learned our lesson about signing "veteran" players but we are WT and notoriously slow learners.

He won't be 33 till the very back end of his final season, literally the last month. I don't see a 3 year contract for him an issue whatsoever.

@Tigerdon said:
If it for 2018\. No. I don't think we need to jump at him. Get the big4 and others signed ahead of him.
If it's for 2017, then yes if we can sign him with whatever was left of Simona's money and still staying under the cap. We need a good edge defender.

Unfortunately the world can't stop while they negotiate with the big 4, they need to strengthen other areas, and if it takes another couple of months to get these deals sorted, there may be no one left to sign.

Pretty sure we were linked to him when he left Souths for the GC.

Like him as a player, would help our halves with his defence, I would sign him.

We need "experienced"forwards???….we already have a current SOO prop,a former SOO prop(Grant),and ex Internationals in both the 2nd row and lock.
Yep,weve got a whole bunch of promising kids coming thru in the forwards,but surely we already have enough experience there to guide them.
We desperately need centres and wingers,and with $$ scarce next year after the big 4 have been renegotiated,thats where we shld be investing our scarce $$.
Re McQueen himself..Souths offloaded him for a reason..a fringe SOO player at best who always looked a little short of the SOO standard IMO,and not getting any younger.
A ridiculous signing shld it proceed

@clontarfkid said:
We need "experienced"forwards???….we already have a current SOO prop,a former SOO prop(Grant),and ex Internationals in both the 2nd row and lock.
Yep,weve got a whole bunch of promising kids coming thru in the forwards,but surely we already have enough experience there to guide them.
We desperately need centres and wingers,and with $$ scarce next year after the big 4 have been renegotiated,thats where we shld be investing our scarce $$.
Re McQueen himself..Souths offloaded him for a reason..a fringe SOO player at best who always looked a little short of the SOO standard IMO,and not getting any younger.

You contradict yourself

Re McQueen himself..Souths offloaded him for a reason

You mention we have grant as experience and souths offload him too

I'm not fussed if we do or don't , but I am happy there is talk of a player having a look at us , we always seem to be looking but not buying maybe things are on the change , we can't sit back and wait we need to get into the market .
Also Seen some Footage of Balin on the news , he looks very fit , hope he goes well as we need to be travelling well for other players to feel we are on the up and may join us

@clontarfkid said:

How did the Gold Coast go compared to Souths last year?
Not saying he was any sole reason for anything… But everyone plays there part
Titans on the up last year
Souths on the slide

@GNR4LIFE said:
@jadtiger said:
@happy tiger said:

He was at souths for a long time.A 3 year contract from next year would mean we would have him till he was 33.I would have hoped as a club we would have learned our lesson about signing "veteran" players but we are WT and notoriously slow learners.

He won't be 33 till the very back end of his final season, literally the last month. I don't see a 3 year contract for him an issue whatsoever.

If it was a 1 year contract with an option in our favour at a reasonable price i would have little problem with him.However a 3 year deal for a man who will be 30 when we get him i do see problems.It will take him longer to get over niggling injuries let alone a major one.League is a collision sport and as you get older wear and tear tends to accumulate on all players.
If he was 25 i would be prepared for a 3 year contract but not at 30

@Sabre said:
@innsaneink said:
@gallagher said:
@Nucky Thompson said:
The guys a gun don't understand why people say they don't rate him.

Yup. So far better than our guys is not funny. I'm liking us going for established players.

Ballin, ET, Idris, McQueen*… Origin players... Internationals... Finals and GF experienced.... I'm liking what we're building if it all comes together

We'd be looking good if it was 2010

Ballin on the Bench, as Farah was in his prime back then.

Elijah Taylor hadn't debuted yet - was still kicking around in under 20's…. just.

Idris in the centres

and Mcqueen was on the wing.

Would have been better in 2010, than Three internationals, and an origin player in positions we are sorely lacking right now.

Do I have that right?

@Nucky Thompson said:
@clontarfkid said:

You contradict yourself

Re McQueen himself..Souths offloaded him for a reason

You mention we have grant as experience and souths offload him too

Well…just because players are "experienced"doesnt mean theyre still effective/good value..it usually means theyre significantly more expensive than the junior alternative.
I actually don't think either Lawrence nor Grant are NRL standard based on 2016 regardless of what we pay them(which wont be chicken feed),but were stuck with them.
In Souths case ,they felt they had better(and bigger)options in the forwards,and hate to say it but TEO was who they really missed last year(plus a fit Reynolds and Inglis would have helped)
I don't think McQueen set the world on fire at GC and neither did the Qld selectors..GC simply had a very good roster and were well coached,and performed accordingly
Last thing we need is yet another mobile(ie smallish)forward when our pack is already getting steamrolled by most..weve got plenty of them already .
Buy some outside backs which is where our major deficiencies are

McQueen played 25 games for the gold coast (he has played at least 20 games every year since his 1st season in 2009). He scored 9 tries (career best ), 9 linebreaks (career best), 72 MPG (best since 2009), 29 tackle breaks (his best since 2012), 25.2 tackles (equal best ever) although his missed tackles were up a little at 2.5 pg but like he would be at the tigers he was defending next to a rookie half which hurts players missed tackle figures. I also note that he has given away more penalties in the last 3 yrs then previously but this seems to be more tactical then anything.

Is he the best backrower in the game no of course not but he is a step up on what we have, he is a hard nut and he does improve our top 17 both on his own and because he would push Lawrence to the bench which improves the bench too

@jadtiger said:
@GNR4LIFE said:
@jadtiger said:
@happy tiger said:

If it was a 1 year contract with an option in our favour at a reasonable price i would have little problem with him.However a 3 year deal for a man who will be 30 when we get him i do see problems.It will take him longer to get over niggling injuries let alone a major one.League is a collision sport and as you get older wear and tear tends to accumulate on all players.
If he was 25 i would be prepared for a 3 year contract but not at 30

Not every player signed at 30 is a bad signing. Look at guys Beau Scott and Jeremy Smith as recent examples. McQueen is a player who has never really struggled with injuries either. Like it or not, we have a ceiling when it comes to player signings. We aren't exactly going to be signing guys like Taumalolo. I think for us McQueen and Finucane would be significant improvements on what we already have.

Back