Confirmed: Matterson released from Wests Tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@crazycat said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066602) said:
@weststigers Yes, but Brooks was wisely upgraded to 700-800k.

That aside I take your point. Benji and Robbie were loyal to our club. Hey they had faults as players but they had taken unders and rejected bigger offers...
Also Chris Heighington knocked back Wayne Bennett at the Dragons because he felt Sheens was the better Coach.

^ which points to one thing. Sheens Got Culture. Sheens demise was that he did not buffer the players enough while removing Chris Heighington and Beau Ryan (with some very poor trades). Leading to the players wanting him removed, uada yada yada... My point is Sheens Got Culture. He developed a culture where players were playing for Unders and wanted to stay with the Tigers. Heck Manly mastered this.

Maybe wrong but think you over estimated Brooks contract a little.

My understanding was that he was on 650k and then after the "Big Four" k'fuffle he signed a new contract for 550k.

Anyone sure on what he is on now? Don't think it is 7-800k.

That aside I take your point. Benji and Robbie were loyal to our club. Hey they had faults as players but they had taken unders and rejected bigger offers...
Also Chris Heighington knocked back Wayne Bennett at the Dragons because he felt Sheens was the better Coach.

^ which points to one thing. Sheens Got Culture. Sheens demise was that he did not buffer the players enough while removing Chris Heighington and Beau Ryan (with some very poor trades). Leading to the players wanting him removed, uada yada yada... My point is Sheens Got Culture. He developed a culture where players were playing for Unders and wanted to stay with the Tigers. Heck Manly mastered this.

Let's not look too far. The best employees want to work at the best companies, with the most money and the best conditions.

As players, I don't think they'd be any different.

The question is, what are we, as a club, doing about it?

Personally, I think we've identified the reasons/excuses that are given about why players don't want to come to the club. We're now moving towards something better, but it takes time. Here's a few things I've noticed that will hopefully push us towards being a club that players want to play for:

**1. Centre of Excellence**
Training facilities are important and we'll be up there with the best teams in that regard. Once this is built, facilities won't be a reason we don't sign good players.

**2. Unification of the club**
Now that Wests Ashfield have taken over (ex-Balmain here), this will mean the boardroom bickering will cease. Decisions can be made without having to worry about the Balmain/Wests hardheads getting in the way of good decisions for the Wests Tigers.

**3. Profitable Leagues Club**
Wests Ashfield and Balmain Leagues Club at Sydney Markets are profitable. Money isn't an issue for us and if the Rozelle site goes through, we'll have a unified WESTS TIGERS leagues club in the heart of Sydney. That's 3 leagues clubs feeding the the club and gives us a solid financial position into the future.

**4. Quality Coach**
He may not be to everyone's taste, but he's not some Johnny come lately reserve grade coach trying to make a name for himself and using our team as a lab experiment.

@weststigers said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066620) said:

Let's not look too far. The best employees want to work at the best companies, with the most money and the best conditions.

Personally, I think we've identified the reasons/excuses that are given about why players don't want to come to the club. We're now moving towards something better, but it takes time. Here's a few things I've noticed that will hopefully push us towards being a club that players want to play for:

Training facilities are important and we'll be up there with the best teams in that regard. Once this is built, facilities won't be a reason we don't sign good players.

Now that Wests Ashfield have taken over (ex-Balmain here), this will mean the boardroom bickering will cease. Decisions can be made without having to worry about the Balmain/Wests hardheads getting in the way of good decisions for the Wests Tigers.

Wests Ashfield and Balmain Leagues Club at Sydney Markets are profitable. Money isn't an issue for us and if the Rozelle site goes through, we'll have a unified WESTS TIGERS leagues club in the heart of Sydney. That's 3 leagues clubs feeding the the club and gives us a solid financial position into the future.

**4. Quality Coach**
He may not be to everyone's taste, but he's not some Johnny come lately reserve grade coach trying to make a name for himself and using our team as a lab experiment.

All that's pointing to a great future. However, my only concern is that although it's a united board with no balmain/wests tension that doesn't mean that it's a smart board.
We need smart operators in charge and the owners willing to spend more money.

@gallagher All true but the one denominator in this is do the people that run the club have the desire to take the club to the next level . I see nothing at present that indicates this .. hopefully this will change , the amalgamation of the 2 clubs and the rebranding of the Flemington club to the Weststigers club is a positive step .
The line has to be drawn that players and the NRL get the message that in no uncertain terms the club will not be used as a door matt moving forward . As above the financial side of the club in the future is an exciting element and with this could bring real success on and off the field can only be positive with this issue!

@Dyloh said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066644) said:
@Russell my understanding is that he is only on $550k aswell, not sure where $800k is coming from.

He signed a 4 year extension under Maguire. His previous contract was $550k, it was not disclosed what the extension contract was worth

Voldemort has given up in trying to sign RM for Penrith (Western Weekender)

@weststigers said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066620) said:

**4. Quality Coach**

Quality post mate, and I agree 100%

@gallagher I agree with this. I would add two other important criteria:

- Having one comfortable, financially viable home ground
- Increasing corporate support. At the moment we just can't compete with teams like Roosters in this facet.

@sheer64 said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066652) said:
@Russell my understanding is that he is only on $550k aswell, not sure where $800k is coming from.

He signed a 4 year extension under Maguire. His previous contract was $550k, it was not disclosed what the extension contract was worth

That is correct, his previous contract was $550k when the 3 amigos left and he re-signed. That was extended and upgraded this year to supposedly $800/850k a year.
Everyone was calling it a bargain because in 5 years Brooks will still only be on $800/850k.

@Krammy said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066672) said:
@gallagher I agree with this. I would add two other important criteria said:
- Having one comfortable, financially viable home ground
- Increasing corporate support. At the moment we just can't compete with teams like Roosters in this facet.

Barry should be working to sign Penfolds. Would be a brilliant laugh to have them on the jersey now he's chair.

@851 said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066675) said:
@sheer64 said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066652) said:

That is correct, his previous contract was $550k when the 3 amigos left and he re-signed. That was extended and upgraded this year to supposedly $800/850k a year.
Everyone was calling it a bargain because in 5 years Brooks will still only be on $800/850k.

Thanks never knew about the extension - pleased with it though.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/26/the-get-out-clause-in-seibolds-broncos-contract

**Maguire softens approach**

A lot has been said about disgruntled Wests Tigers forward Ryan Matterson during the past fortnight, in particularly his relationship with coach Michael Maguire.

While Matterson isn't a fan of Maguire's coaching approach, the Tigers mentor has tried to look after his best forward as recently as the final round of the season.

In the week leading into the club's biggest game of the year, the do-or-die showdown against the Sharks at Leichhardt Oval, Matterson approached the coach and asked for a day off.

Matterson told Maguire was feeling flat, and in turn the coach then gave him the day off and he consequently sat out the team's training session on the Wednesday before the game.

Maguire was made aware some time ago there had been rumblings around Matterson's feelings towards him, but when the coach confronted his back-rower about it, the 24-year-old denied there was an issue.

It wasn't the message Matterson was giving to others, nor was it the message coming from his management to the club.

@Tweed_Tiger said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066715) said:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/09/26/the-get-out-clause-in-seibolds-broncos-contract

**Maguire softens approach**

A lot has been said about disgruntled Wests Tigers forward Ryan Matterson during the past fortnight, in particularly his relationship with coach Michael Maguire.

While Matterson isn't a fan of Maguire's coaching approach, the Tigers mentor has tried to look after his best forward as recently as the final round of the season.

In the week leading into the club's biggest game of the year, the do-or-die showdown against the Sharks at Leichhardt Oval, Matterson approached the coach and asked for a day off.

Matterson told Maguire was feeling flat, and in turn the coach then gave him the day off and he consequently sat out the team's training session on the Wednesday before the game.

Maguire was made aware some time ago there had been rumblings around Matterson's feelings towards him, but when the coach confronted his back-rower about it, the 24-year-old denied there was an issue.

It wasn't the message Matterson was giving to others, nor was it the message coming from his management to the club.

Didn't even have the balls to voice his concerns to the coach

It could have been sorted if he did

Instead he let t all fester inside him

Probably with the advice of his manager leading him blindly along

Shame the NRL lack the balls to do something about it

Probably because the NRL is run by Turdberg and the managers have too much dirt on him

@Tweed_Tiger This saga not doing anything for Ryan.

The unfortunate thing is clubs will pay a heap of cash for him and he will roll out “club X is so much better/professional than the Tigers.This group is tighter than the Tigers players and coach X treats me better than Madge did”.Painting us as the basket case club and him not learning anything but how to get his own way.

The club is positioning itself for what is about to eventuate when he is released. Better to get the real story out there new.

If we do loose Ryan there are only two options that will statisfy me
A. Package deal with Reynolds swapping for AJ n Arrow
B. Tyson Frizzzzzzel

@Jimmy said in [Matterson unhappy at Tigers?](/post/1066729) said:
If we do loose Ryan there are only two options that will statisfy me
A. Package deal with Reynolds swapping for AJ n Arrow
B. Tyson Frizzzzzzel

You'll be disappointed..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online