Could it be a long year?

Needaname

I know it's early but I have just watched 14 games of NRL this season where every team shows commitment for their jersey in defence.
With our glaring weeknesses in our defenceive positioning and weakness in manning up and controlling the ruck I cannot see us having the assendancy over any team in the comp.
I know I've felt like this in other seasons before but there has never been so much uncertainty in one side before.
I know the players and JT don't read the papers but with the recent news about the players wanting Payten to be head coach surely that's gotta disrupt preparations. Taylor can only carry on carrying on for so long. The more it becomes aware that the players do not want him moving forwards the less confidence he is going to have each week.
I can't see the rational with having another rookie coach but, if the big 4 were to sign and for unders if JT got the flick by the end the year, I could see merit in the club's decision.
The simona drama, the revelations about the secret party lifestyle of some of the players it's all going to come to a head at some stage.
Then you add the complete lack of depth evident by the poor showings in both lower grades and you ask yourself can this team compete with the improving teams in this year's competition?
I'm not death riding us by any means and really hope we do have a successful year but a big loss to the Raiders today could bring up a lot more drama and a lot more questions.
I hope I'm proven wrong but I wouldn't be surprised…

I noticed last night that nearly every team has a couple of players that have an x factor out wide. Coen Hess, for example, runs like a maniac. Canberra have about 3 that come to mind.

I think apart from our defence our biggest issue is we really lack that threat inside of nofa or suli. If someone can stand up this year i think we will be ok. If not then the early evidence is not promising.

Probably a bit early to be posting wooden spoon threads. It is just stirring the pot.

Don't you love how we question the commitment of the players when we don't even have any as supporters. One bad loss and we run for the razors.

Just for you guys I changed the title.
It was more to generate conversation about the current situation and the possible uncertainties we may face.
I'll still be going to every home game and some away games if possible as I love the tigers and love watching the current team. I just don't like where we may be heading if there isn't improvement this afternoon.
The media will be all over us and the next fued created will be Taylor vs the big 4.

One thing that worries me is the teams impact in defence. When you look at some of the top teams, the first tackler makes an impact and the 2nd man in comes in with real intent to knock the ball carrier over. Watching us if the 1st man actually sticks, the 2nd man in looks like he wants to be part of a group hug.

Look it hasn't crossed my mind so far this year and with the knights in the competition I see us not winning the spoon. But the next 6-8 rounds could change my mind and when we play the knights also.
After the last couple of years dramas I thought we were due to have an incident free year. Then the Lovett drama occurs and then Simona dabarkle and still the indecisions with signing of the big 4\. To be honest our season could turn pear shape at any stage, but for the time being I will just watch and support as much I can.

@ said:
Look it hasn't crossed my mind so far this year and with the knights in the competition I see us not winning the spoon. But the next 6-8 rounds could change my mind **and when we play the knights also.**
After the last couple of years dramas I thought we were due to have an incident free year. Then the Lovett drama occurs and then Simona dabarkle and still the indecisions with signing of the big 4\. To be honest our season could turn pear shape at any stage, but for the time being I will just watch and support as much I can.

I think it's safe to say after the first 3 rounds that the Knights are a much improved side. They'll win a few games.

Yes it could be. Ive heard several commentators refer to our blistering speed out wide. Someone care to tell me who it is? I thought we lost that when JAC went to Melbourne.
It also has the potential for us to plod along and by some miracle come 8th.

@ said:
@ said:
Look it hasn't crossed my mind so far this year and with the knights in the competition I see us not winning the spoon. But the next 6-8 rounds could change my mind **and when we play the knights also.**

I think it's safe to say after the first 3 rounds that the Knights are a much improved side. They'll win a few games.

Yep have to agree, I don't think the Knights are a lock in for the wooden spoon

@ said:
I know it's early but I have just watched 14 games of NRL this season where **every team shows commitment for their jersey in defence.**
With our glaring weeknesses in our defenceive positioning and weakness in manning up and controlling the ruck I cannot see us having the assendancy over any team in the comp.

Have to agree with this. I haven't seen too many bad defensive performances so far this year. A lot of teams have really stepped up in this area, even those who haven't been so good in years past.

Last night, Panthers, Roosters and Sea Eagles all had great defence and attitude, notably on their own line, and at times the defence from these teams looked impossible to breach. The benchmark seems to have really lifted this year, and this is an area I see us falling behind in. We'll need to improve to at least match this, and fast otherwise I think we're in serious trouble.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Yep have to agree, I don't think the Knights are a lock in for the wooden spoon

I do 110% however they will win more than last year

I think last weeks thrashing really has hurt and we are all scared we are going to see more of it.However in the souths game the tigers defence i believe was a step up.Sure you had some soft tries that were let in towards the end of the game,which no doubt came down to fatigue..but..the overall defence i thought was solid.Alot of nice hits which is uncommon from the tigers and for the first 60 mins the defence had souths baffled.

Campbelltown was a depressing performance,if the tigers had of scored those tries early that went astray it may have been a little closer,but the panthers had a much bigger sized team,out enthused and out played us for the majority of the game.

So the team has gone from one of there better performances in rd 1 to one of there worst in rd 2…so what we should be expecting is a median performance between the first 2 rounds which should see the team compete in most games and have a good chance to win.

The forwards really need to step up today and help woods,Grant,Ava,Sue,Aloiai,edwards,lawrence all need to lift and lead and the tigers will give it a fair shake if this happens,good luck to young Tatola on making his debut.

the team has gone from one of there better performances in rd 1 to one of there worst in rd 2…so what we should be expecting is a median performance between the first 2 rounds

Not to be negative but more realistic.... Souths were missing their half back and we're pretty much 12 men for the whole game

What's concerning to me is the poor performance right thru the club... State cup Holden cup and even the Jnr reps are all struggling (haven't seen yesterday's Jnrs results yet)

@ said:
I think last weeks thrashing really has hurt and we are all scared we are going to see more of it.However in the souths game the tigers defence i believe was a step up.Sure you had some soft tries that were let in towards the end of the game,which no doubt came down to fatigue..but..the overall defence i thought was solid.Alot of nice hits which is uncommon from the tigers and for the first 60 mins the defence had souths baffled.

Campbelltown was a depressing performance,if the tigers had of scored those tries early that went astray it may have been a little closer,but the panthers had a much bigger sized team,out enthused and out played us for the majority of the game.

So the team has gone from one of there better performances in rd 1 to one of there worst in rd 2…so what we should be expecting is a median performance between the first 2 rounds which should see the team compete in most games and have a good chance to win.

The forwards really need to step up today and help woods,Grant,Ava,Sue,Aloiai,edwards,lawrence all need to lift and lead and the tigers will give it a fair shake if this happens,good luck to young Tatola on making his debut.

Not sure re souths. We were playing against 12 men and the bloke that could not walk scored.

We basically have had very little in the way of injuries, granted its only round 3, but our reserve grade have been flogged, our under 20s are struggling and our top grade were terrible last week. We seem to be behind every club in our ability to make meters. I think we are a real good chance of the spoon. Newcastle are playing with a ton of energy and the Dragons have a very handy forward pack and they are our big dangers for the spoon. Forget the top eight, we will not get close

@ said:
Don't you love how we question the commitment of the players when we don't even have any as supporters. One bad loss and we run for the razors.

Probably because we have memories and we remember what happens regularly , over and over again :laughing:

Depends whether we can get some wins in the next 6or so games.
Our start has a fair few of the good teams and if we can't come out of this period with a couple of wins at least we can kiss this year goodbye

When I looked at the draw before the season, I honestly thought that the only game that we could be reasonably sure of a win in the first 10 games , was the round against the Dragons.
We've picked up the win against The Rabbits, but it was hardly an inspiring win, but we got the points.
nothing that I've seen would make me reconsider that the Dragons will still be the only game from now to rnd10 that we are are a good chance to win
I hope I'm wrong . But I'm certainly putting money on them until then

Of course it will be especially if Taylor is not given his marching orders. Enough is enough.

Back