Cricket Season Thread

@Jazza said:
I must admit I am a bit worried about our batting though, we came close to collapse in the first innings with Watson and Paine holding things together and I think if we lose a couple of early wickets, then there could be some real big problems.

My worries have come true :frowning:

Wow I think they should call themselves Wests Tigers….

Single worst team against the Powerhouse Indian's just played one of the best TEST i've seen in ages...

Made the Ashes last year look like St Felix Under 12.s

Well Done Aussies......played in great spirit...

Oh and Billy..he didn't hit it and he was plum...

Love a buck for every time the comm.'s mentioned the word ''tension''

Great game….Ojah breathes a sigh of relief, any other result its probably his last day on earth...maybe they can douse, string up & ignite Billy instead

TERRIBLE field placements in the last hour, should've set an attacking field for Sharma, also NO fine leg and NO third man, unbelievable there would've been about 20 runs that went down that area and he completely ignored it, when you've got arsy tale enders getting arsy edges you need a third man or fine leg to stop boundaries. Not having Bollinger available hurt us, he bought Hilfenhaus on WAY too late, had an immediate impact when he did come back on with the wicket of Sharma.

Again a tailender (Sharma) makes a solid score which ends up hurting us. Ponting is an inept Captain, hopefully we win the Ashes and he retires after it (and takes North and Hussey with him).

Agree with you guys.

I didnt see the last days play (Damn work!), but Ponting NEVER has a 3rd man, I lost count how many times the Indians in the first innings, particularly Tendulkar and Dravid got cheap 4s in that region.

I can understand a bit in Australia where the ball is more likely to carry to the slips but it is just plain dumb not to have a 3rd man in India when the ball doesnt carry and you dont have many slips in place.

Im worried about our team because Warne, McGrath, Langer and Martyn retired 4 years ago now, Gilchrist retired 3 years ago. Yet despite that, we dont seem to be improving results wise. Our bowling is improving, but our batting, we seem to be collapsing every 2nd Test match:

- Bowled out for 192 against India
- 82 against Pakistan
- 240 odd against a weak NZ attack when we cruising
- The Sydney Test vs Pakistan
- In Perth against the West Indies when we were bowled out for about 140
- Even in the previous Test before that, the openers put on about 180 yet they were bowled out for about 400.
- Then of course there was the Ashes where we collapsed 3 times and it cost us 2 Test matches
- Even on tour of South Africa, in the last Test, the openers put on about 70, bowled out for 200
- A similar thing happened in the first Test on that tour as well.

We may have lost Warne and McGrath but that doesnt excuse the batting collapses.
When you got 3 middle order batsman who have been struggling the last 3 years in Ponting, Hussey (His career average is on the verge of dipping below 50 for the first time), and North. Collapses are going to happen.
I think soon they will need to bring in Hughes for Hussey, and either Khawaja or Smith for North.

Sorry guys, Proud to be an Indian today!

And, also the Commonwealth games! so proud!!!

Also, please dont say something like you live in Australia, and still cheer on about India. sick of that comment :smiley:

@tig_prmz said:
Also, please dont say something like you live in Australia, and still cheer on about India. sick of that comment :smiley:

Dont worry, I save that comment for my mate that has Paki background and goes for em, plus my mate who's family is Pom except for him :wink:

Great win tig_prmz…good to be proud...

As for the rest of the knockers..I know it's a generational thing...

Perhaps you should pack ya bats and balls and head off to the Final Frontier as so aptly called by the legendary Tugga himself...You should carve up over there...

Bagging players...uncool...

@Geo. said:
Bagging players…uncool...

Total agreeance here Geo.

This is our first test in yonks and I think the boys played pretty well. A 1 wicket loss v India at home is a good start.

I think all the young people on this forum have been spoilt in their cricket watching with the etraordinary teams Australia has produced over the past decade or more.

I can remember a time when it was a big thing for us to win consecutive tests.

The boys will be alright….give them a break.

Siddle may find it very hard to get himself back into the test team. The bowling was superb up until the 8th wicket fell, Hilfenhaus in particular and the encouraging thing is all the pace men are all still in their 20's.

Assuming 'dead wood' like Hussey and North leave within the next year or so, I think we'll have a great team. Bring in Hughes and Marsh, put Watson back in the middle order, there you go.

It's true that we have been spoiled over the last 15 or so years. Australia was always on top of the table. Now we aren't even in the top 3 test nations and if we lose the next test, I think we will even fall below England. But I also think this makes it more interesting. I want the Australian team to fight their hardest to climb back to the top.

By the way, excellent test match, win, lose or draw. That level of excitement over several hours can never be captured by twenty20 cricket.

@citizen cub said:
siddle may find it very hard to get himself back into the test team. The bowling was superb up until the 8th wicket fell, hilfenhaus in particular and the encouraging thing is all the pace men are all still in their 20's.

Assuming 'dead wood' like hussey and north leave within the next year or so, i think we'll have a great team. Bring in hughes and marsh, put watson back in the middle order, there you go.

steve smith and phil hughes are your men.

@citizen cub said:
Siddle may find it very hard to get himself back into the test team. The bowling was superb up until the 8th wicket fell, Hilfenhaus in particular and the encouraging thing is all the pace men are all still in their 20's.

Assuming 'dead wood' like Hussey and North leave within the next year or so, I think we'll have a great team. Bring in Hughes and Marsh, put Watson back in the middle order, there you go.

I'm presumming Hussey and Ponting will retire after the Ashes, but maybe Punter will go through to the World Cup mid next year?

@tig_prmz said:
sorry guys, proud to be an indian today!

And, also the commonwealth games! So proud!!!

Also, please dont say something like you live in australia, and still cheer on about india. Sick of that comment :d

well if your sick of that comment maybe youll find india a nicer place to live and you will be less sick there.

@Tiger Watto said:
@citizen cub said:

I'm presumming Hussey and Ponting will retire after the Ashes, but maybe Punter will go through to the World Cup mid next year?

Hussey might, I doubt Ponting will, you know he's considering going to the 2013 ashes?

@stryker said:
@Geo. said:
Bagging players…uncool...

Total agreeance here Geo.

This is our first test in yonks and I think the boys played pretty well. A 1 wicket loss v India at home is a good start.

I think all the young people on this forum have been spoilt in their cricket watching with the etraordinary teams Australia has produced over the past decade or more.

I can remember a time when it was a big thing for us to win consecutive tests.

The boys will be alright….give them a break.

True that…I think anyone alive when the Aussies fronted up to the might of the Windies, Poms and even the kiwis 'live' in the 70's and 80's would never diss players.....

Recommend getting a copy of the excellent ABC doco's from the Benuad years through to the Chapple's

Wonder what they would have thought of Bobby Simpson's 'comeback'....

@magpie mania said:
@tig_prmz said:
sorry guys, proud to be an indian today!

And, also the commonwealth games! So proud!!!

Also, please dont say something like you live in australia, and still cheer on about india. Sick of that comment :d

well if your sick of that comment maybe youll find india a nicer place to live and you will be less sick there.

Haha so you are telling me to go back to india just because I follow them??

No its more of a case of you crapping on my or am i wrong should i say our country by saying go india fair enough if theyre your team.but dont tell us your sick of people saying you should support australia because thats what this country is.i think the commonwealth games in delhi is the laughing stock of the world with bridges and roofs collapsing and accommodation that is ridiculous.however i believe that it is still showing progress for india coming out of 3rd world living conditions.please be reminded that im not indian so i cant rely on my parents constantly reminding me how great the mother country is so i must form my own opinion instead of relying on others.good win to india in the cricket and i think ill leave it at that thankyou very much.

I'm sorry if you are offened by me saying: "im sick…"

The thing is it doesn't matter where you live, I will support India for the rest of my life. However, people don't get it!

And, as for Commonwealth games, as you said you form your own opinions. That speaks for itself I think.

Back