Cricket Season Thread

Honours even at the end of day 1 second test…

289 for 5

North 43no
Paine a couple...

Ponting was dudded again by Billy....made an effortless 70..

Hopefully they can push to around 450 and the put the screws on the Indians.....

What no North is useless…

Ponting doesn't use Hauritz properly....Oh only Day 2...bah

Well done the little Master...14000 test runs and counting.... :master: Sachin...

A true master to watch....Now fire up Hilfy n Mitch and get him out!!!!!!

Looks like NSW have produced another good young batsman with 18 year old Maddinson scoring a quick century on his Shield debut to go with his fifty on his ODD debut.

Mind you they are playing South Australia who have a very ordinary attack.

Wowww!! what an innings by the Little Master:

"If cricket was a religion, Sachin would be God" – Classic :slight_smile:

Good fightback by the Aussies, back on level pegging again.

Its going a lot like Mohali, I think it may be a draw though.

Would love to see the tail scrap out another 50 runs or so because it then becomes a time situation as well.

A target of about 240 from 75 overs will make things VERRRY interesting.
Scoring at over 3 runs an over will not be easy on this pitch.

Australia need to get themselves into a situation like that where its a tempting target.
If they get bowled out quickly tomorrow then India can just block their way to victory or if the target becomes to far out of reach, then they can just block their way to a draw and it may not be easy to get wickets if they're in that frame of mind.

I think they have done well to get to 200, when we were 5/130 odd, I thought we'd get bowled out for 160.

I think Watson needs to bowl a lot more tomorrow. He should be reasonably fresh, its not like he made a big score, and he wont be in the upcoming ODI series so he can get some rest afterwards.
Unlike Mohali I dont think the short deliveries will work as much and so a stump to stump line with some reverse should be idea for Watson.

Even though we probably wont win the series, I think we've done pretty well. I think India have been by far the better side yet, if you look at how things have panned out, it looks pretty even which is a good effort from a side that has had only half the side play in those conditions before.

I must say, the way Ponting shifted the blame onto Hauritz about the poor field placings critisised by Warnie, was a disgrace.

"Every field that Nathan has had to bowl with since he's been here has been at his request - it's the field he wants to bowl to," said Ponting.
>
"Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Shane would take the time to ask anyone about that."

It reminds me of when he was angry at Allan Border after AB questioned his tactics by bowling part timers to improve the over rate rather then go for the win in India 2 years ago.

Once again Ponting shifts the blame, Ponting is always right it seems.

As a captain, if Ponting doesnt like the field, then he should overrule his bowler.

I think this has come about by having guys like Warne and McGrath in the side where he didnt need to set fields for them.

To put things in perspective, he captained those guys for 3 years (04-07), how long has it been since those guys have retired? Nearly 4 years (07-11). I thought after winning in South Africa we had turned the corner but since then we have won just 3 test series against terrible opposition.

I know….how dare we not win 23 Tests in a row....

On this occasion Ponting is right...

Hauritz bowled ave to Crap...The Indian batsman toyed with him...it wouldn't have mattered what field he set....Hard to put fielders all over the boundry and in the stands...to his credit though he never gave up trying and his doosra to Tendulker was great...1 ball...

Maybe Warnie should shut his big mouth or come out of semi retirement and help out his country rather than taking pot shots from the comfort of his TWITTER....

Poor form by Ponting. As much as I hate to say it (as Punter is my favourite player) when it comes to taking the reins and showing some real leadership, he really falls over. Like most others, I believe his average decisions in the field over the last few years have occurred since Warnie, Pigeon and Gilly all upped stumps and he very much struggles without their expertise.

I think when the going gets tough Punter really needs someone to lean on and in recent years he makes the wrong decisions or just goes missing, and thats not the making of a captain. If you are going to take the accolades when the team is going well, you have to take the criticism when they're not. Ponting should have taken the hit with a smile and moved on. As a captain, hanging a team mate out to dry in the media is pretty poor.

Having said that, I like Hauritz but he is average at best. The selectors should look to back Smith now, blooding him now will only benefit him and the team. Warnie needs to get in the nets with him and start handing down his wisdom, instead of crucifying Punter in the media.

The selectors are every bit to blame as Punter in this situation… When Smith, Ferguson and Hughes are all struggling to get a look in while North, Hussey and Hauritz can rely on one good innings out of every twenty to guarantee their selection you know there's something terribly wrong.

@Geo. said:
**I know….how dare we not win 23 Tests in a row....**
On this occasion Ponting is right...

Hauritz bowled ave to Crap...The Indian batsman toyed with him...it wouldn't have mattered what field he set....Hard to put fielders all over the boundry and in the stands...to his credit though he never gave up trying and his doosra to Tendulker was great...1 ball...

Maybe Warnie should shut his big mouth or come out of semi retirement and help out his country rather than taking pot shots from the comfort of his TWITTER....

I'd take 1 in a row at the moment!

I dont believe Ponting was right. If Hauritz wanted fieldsman on the point boundary, at long on, long off, etc. Then obviously he is struggling for confidence, and as a captain, it was up to Ponting to instill some confidence in him and say 'No you are a good enough bowler to have these fieldsman up'.

Having those fieldsman back allowed Hauritz to bowl bad balls because there was protection on the boundary.

In my opinion spinners get a lot of their wickets through building pressure, especially a bowler like Hauritz who doesnt turn it much, and with the fields set, the Indians werent under pressure at all.

Former Indian spinner Bishan Bedi claims Ponting "Is not a good spinners captain" and I feel he is right, he just does not know how to set fields for them, they are too defensive and it shows a lack of faith in them.

Michael Clarke was very disappointing TBH. I would say give him a rest and let him play for NSW a bit to regain his confidence. He is playing very defensively and very unconfidently.

BTW I knoe I'm Indian but I support the Aussies in the Ashes LOL.

I too am a fan of Punter, but saying Hauritz gets the field he wants is not right, even if he does. You don't say those things to the media, let alone out allowed at all.

I too don't think Ricky is the strongest in regards to dealing with a spin bowler. It would be pretty hard though losing someone like Warne who you didn't need to worry about, to the next best being Hauritz, a player who really struggles with confidence.

Members online

Back