Cricket Season Thread

Marsh and Huss both bring up their centuries. Great moment for Marsh, hopefully the start of a long international career for the guy (he's 28, so he has 7 or so years in him), I've always rated him.

Yeah I must admit I wasn't keen on Marsh getting picked but he's certainly taken his chance. We'll know a lot more after another 10 tests though. If you average 39-40 in 1st class cricket it shows you're capable of a good innings but it raises some questions on your consistency. I'm not saying he can't be a good test batsman but I think there are some question marks still.

Now let's see if he can finally beat that highest debut score that's held since 1877!

@alien said:
@Yossarian said:
Now let's see if he can finally beat that highest debut score that's held since 1877!

how many is that???

165 not out made it the first ever test match. I think that's now 18 Australians who have made a century in their debut test and not beaten that score.

Hopefully Marsh continues to score after this innings.
In his ODI career and Shield cricket, he has tended to score a big 100 then drop away.

I think Khawaja is still the best of the 3, he has just been stuck with an out of form lower order in this series and is a much better player up the order, I think also it hasn't helped that he has no other international experience besides this being his 3rd test. Compare that to Marsh who has been around the ODI and 20/20 for the last 3 years.

Not that I'm taking anything away from Swampy junior, it was a great innings of concentration. An underated part of his game, I have seen some of his Shield scores over recent years and he does take his time initially, even in the ODIs he plays like that.

@Yossarian said:
@alien said:
@Yossarian said:

how many is that???

165 not out made it the first ever test match. I think that's now 18 Australians who have made a century in their debut test and not beaten that score.

Charles Bannerman has the record and it was retired hurt I believe
Now i don't want any of you smart alecs asking was I there :laughing:

@happy tiger said:
@Yossarian said:
@alien said:
@Yossarian said:

how many is that???

Spot on Happy. Obviously the longest standing record in test cricket. When you look at the list of Australian debut scores it's amazing how many have come close without going over.

@Yossarian said:
@happy tiger said:
@Yossarianquote= said:

how many is that???

Spot on Happy. Obviously the longest standing record in test cricket. When you look at the list of Australian debut scores it's amazing how many have come close without going over.
Pretty sure Kepler Wessels and Wayne Phillips got within 3 and 2 respectively in consecutive years Yoss

so marsh got out for 141\. pretty good start from him :slight_smile:

Clarke declared overnight and the Sri Lankan's are off to a good start, their openers just brought the 50 up.

Looking like this test will be a draw with this poor weather and a better batting effort by the Sri Lankans this time around.

Khawaja will probably lose his place to Marsh. Hard done by but I think its the right decision.

Khawaja should stay at the expense of Hughes. He could be our version of Rahul Dravid, and anchor the innings from the top.
\
\
Posted using RoarFEED

I think they should of batted them out of the test Haven't we learnt our lessons on the subcontinent

@happy tiger said:
I think they should of batted them out of the test Haven't we learnt our lessons on the subcontinent

I don't know Happy, I don't think it was a bad move. They lose a lot of time over there through rain and bad light. Now it looks like a draw anyway. In any event it would take a form reversal in the last test for Sri Lanka to win and on the upside we've seen some new guys take their chances.

@happy tiger said:

I thought it was a good declaration, we weren't going to lose the test from there, but we had a good shot winning it. If we won that, it was the series.

Aussies are shaking a bit on a good pitch.

Got off to a bad start, Ponting and Marsh steadied but once again Ponting threw his wicket away while Marsh continues to show his patience in making 52* off 151 balls.

I think Ponting needs to stay in the side however he has lost his ability to make big scores, I think he needs to bat at 6.

Good work again by the Huss….I am unashamably his biggest fan and its great to see him doing well over there.

Latest posts

Members online

Back