Cricket Season Thread

Thanks mate … Gee that kid Lynn goes allright ... Seen him before in Ryobi cup ... Just stands and delivers !

@Knuckles said:
Thanks mate … Gee that kid Lynn goes allright ... Seen him before in Ryobi cup ... Just stands and delivers !

A shame he will probably need to move to NSW to get picked for Australia :wink:

@Cultured Bogan said:
@happy tiger said:
If you want to see a great catch , check out 42 year old Brad Hogg's catch

Don't want to give too much away but it was very similar to a certain former NSW and Australian's opener catch from many years ago that has been replayed a million times

I've drawn a blank Happy, which one was that?

_Posted using RoarFEED 2013_

John Dyson at deep mid wicket jumping and diving to catch one flying over his head.

@stryker said:
He is one of the leaders of the squad, and was spruiking about Englands spine of which he was considered apart of before the series started.

I dont see it as an unselfish decision one bit. Panesar is very ordinary with bat and ball. Swann has weakened the side and dropped his lollies because the Aussies have attacked him this series. They were shouting from the rooftops how they would beat us again on our own turf. Now we have seen 2 senior members go home. Very little ticker amongst this group. Thats why we see them further embarrassed this series.

As for Swann, pathetic way to end your career. I hope the tabloids are ready to smash him at the airport.

I don't get why his decision to retire is met with such haste? He was contemplating retiring after the English Ashes. He says his body isn't up to it and England can't win a 4th series straight, he's giving an opportunity for others to play. It's quite admirable. It would have been pathetic for him to go through the motions just to experience a Boxing Day and New Years test once again and then retire. It's stealing away someone else's experience. He's 34 and had his test career, now it's someone else's turn.

@stryker said:
Yeah just heard that. What a weak bastard to desert his mates when they are looking down the barrell of a series whitewash. Thats 2 guys now who have shown they most probably were not in the right frame of mind to tour here and both have let their side down.

I tend to agree, although with his comments about the English players it seems their camp is in disarray. That said if England are 3-0 there is no way he pulls the pin.

@Marshall_magic said:
@stryker said:
Yeah just heard that. What a weak bastard to desert his mates when they are looking down the barrell of a series whitewash. Thats 2 guys now who have shown they most probably were not in the right frame of mind to tour here and both have let their side down.

I tend to agree, although with his comments about the English players it seems their camp is in disarray. That said if England are 3-0 there is no way he pulls the pin.

Bang on MM, he'd be sticking around if they were on the up, that's why it smacks of being piss weak and being dick move for his teammates. No wonder half the dressing room doesn't like him if he's going to up and leg it halfway through a series.

@Peaches said:
@stryker said:
He is one of the leaders of the squad, and was spruiking about Englands spine of which he was considered apart of before the series started.

I dont see it as an unselfish decision one bit. Panesar is very ordinary with bat and ball. Swann has weakened the side and dropped his lollies because the Aussies have attacked him this series. They were shouting from the rooftops how they would beat us again on our own turf. Now we have seen 2 senior members go home. Very little ticker amongst this group. Thats why we see them further embarrassed this series.

As for Swann, pathetic way to end your career. I hope the tabloids are ready to smash him at the airport.

I don't get why his decision to retire is met with such haste? He was contemplating retiring after the English Ashes. He says his body isn't up to it and England can't win a 4th series straight, he's giving an opportunity for others to play. It's quite admirable. It would have been pathetic for him to go through the motions just to experience a Boxing Day and New Years test once again and then retire. It's stealing away someone else's experience. He's 34 and had his test career, now it's someone else's turn.

I am with you. He thought he had one last tour in him and that hasn't been the case. Now that the Ashes are gone there is no point in him hanging around. Whenever we lose an Ashes series, we always talk about how players should be dropped for the dead rubbers and that some young guys should come in. Well Swann has taken it upon himself to retire and give the younger guys a shot. At least he can admit when his mind isn't on the job unlike Kevin Pietersen.

personally i see this as a couple of things from swann and the english team and some do contradict each other.

A) its a selfish move as he doesn't want to be associated with the english team when they are going through this hard time when they are clearly striving for leadership from senior players.
B) he has done the right thing as he is no longer feeling up to the rigours of test cricket and is allowing the opportunity to go to younger up and coming players.
C) there is a serious culture problem and probably came over expecting an easy series and now things haven't gone their way they are pointing fingers and isn't something that can be a quick fix.
D) is a massive mental edge for australia in the last two tests knowing that one of their past tormentors is no longer there and will only help inflict further pain on the poms

if Swann came forward and said he was retiring and not playing the last two tests to give someone else a go but stayed in the squad to help them while on this tour i feel this would have been the best way this could have happened and shows that the players still want to be together this statement doesn;t scream that

Another cricket champion retires

Jacques Kallis , quite annoying that Swann's retirement overshadowed a true gentleman of the game and probably going to go down as one of the best all rounders to have played the game

Averages 55 with the bat and has taken nearly 300 wickets. He's gotta be in the top 10-20 players of all time.

I rate Kallis as a top 5 cricketer of all time. Amazing average with the bat and quite a handy average with the ball and the second most amount of catches by a non-keeper.

Definitely in the Top 20 of all time , but still rank him the No 2 all rounder behind Sobers

I think Sobers variety as a bowler helps him get the nod

2 quick wickets to Johnson to start day 2\. A great bouncer to Bresnan and Pieterson try's go hit it out of the MCG. Only 2 of Broad, Anderson and Panesar to finish the English, hopefully for below 250.

Hope that Rogers can bat on today and get a ton

Not the flashiest batsman around , but he is definitely putting every ounce of talent he has into every innings

@happy tiger said:
Hope that Rogers can bat on today and get a ton

Not the flashiest batsman around , but he is definitely putting every ounce of talent he has into every innings

I like Rogers. He's your typical gritty stonewaller. Patiently grinds away, not a prolific scorer.

This pitch has been perfect for Rogers. All the natural stroke-players are being dismissed on a pitch which is a bit slow against bowling that isn't giving much to score against. It's been a very good contest. As I type this, Rogers holes out to mid-off in a strange dismissal for him and makes me think why he will never fully cement a position at his age. Haddin and Bailey need a partnership here.

For those of you that missed out, Piers Morgan got peppered by Brett Lee. It was pretty funny and I've posted a link below.

http://m.cricket.com.au/video/Piers-shown-no-mercy-from-Lee

Are we seeing the reason you never send the opposition in if you win the toss ??

Funny how the minute the Twenty 20 silly season starts we see our players getting out due to rash shot selection and impatience

@happy tiger said:
Are we seeing the reason you never send the opposition in if you win the toss ??

Funny how the minute the Twenty 20 silly season starts we see our players getting out due to rash shot selection and impatience

No mate, this side hasn't batted well as a team for quite a while. Only one or two have batted well together in an innings for quite some time.

The poms have "had" us a few times this campaign only for someone to get us out of it. Not today.

Watson is not a number 3 batsman and never will be , Bailey got into the test side on one day form (go figure) and it shows. Warner can play a patient innings but appears to want to blast everyone all the time.

Smith is a young guy trying to cement his spot. Rogers is solid. Clarke is our premium batsman but he can't play well every game.

This innings was due.

Now lets see if this side really has any fight in it.

Back