David Gower

system

I hope this is accurate reporting from NSWRL

Balmain Ryde’s David Gower was another who impressed all and sundry in the NSW Residents fixture on Wednesday night and reports out of Leichhardt suggest that a phone call from Tim Sheens isn’t too far away.

I hope it's accurate too. I'd like to see the Tigers promote some of the lower grade players who play well week-in week-out and deserve a chance to play FG. Gower is one, Akeripa is another and I'd like to see more of Willie Mataka in FG. He runs good lines, has good leg speed and is pretty strong. Hopefully these players, and maybe a couple more are in the mix for next season.

To be fair to Sheens , on Sunday he was watching and taking notes on both lower grade games before he went into the sheds at half time of the under 20s match to prepare for 1st grade

Ive heard so many good things about David Gower and really hope he gets a chance.. Can Someone please advise his stats ? Height and weight, Age and What NRL player could you compare him to ( Apologies if this has been mentioned before)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to see BRET BUT I have followed the U20's all year and of course agree there are some that look like playing first grade within the next 18 months or so ( Lui, Shirnack, Fifita, Woods, Rociqa etc) BUT what I want to know is ::

Everyone keeps saying the U20's is a weak comp and hardly any defence ( Which I pretty much agree with by the way)

BUT,

WHY then Are our Young U20's Guys seemingly being the ones considered next for first grade…?? This really confuses me, As I respect everyone's opinions on here and I thought the State Cup is the next step up from first grade and Not Toyota Cup... So why Is DAVID GOWER and the like not considered.... ?? Can someone tell me, is it a fair enough statement to say that SIMON DWYER is rated a Better player then DAVID GOWER ??? by the Coaching Staff ? Or is there politics or are we looking to blood Younger players ?? This really baffles me and I'd like to get some of your opinions... That said, I have no allegiance to anyone, i just want to see the best players getting opportunities and I love following the U20's and think Dwyer is an outstanding talent, I just need to know why Someone Like Gower ( who so many of you rate) can't crack it in an older tougher comp and yet a very young player get's drafted much easier... OR are some of you pumping Gower up more then his true ability ( I say this with the greatest respect but there has to be a reason why he can't get a look in)

On a side note, I really start to worry what guys Like Akeripa, Gower, Pritchard etc must be thinking.... Are they really in the future plans of Tigers Top 25 in coming years.

I Hope someone can clear this up....

Gower not getting a game all season…whilst a broken down Todd Payten plays ordinarily all week...no comment.

Height: 190cm Weight: 97kgs Age:24

DG is a Magpies junior originally who went to the ESL very young for the experience and played for the Salford Reds from memory.

He is a wide running backrower with a great fend and offload.

DG is only still with us I think because the squad made a promise to each other (with a few exceptions) that they would finish what they started mid way through last season.

I have no idea why Sheens has not called upon him. He has been present and taking notes at many games in the past when DG has been the reason we have won. He plays 80 minutes most weeks and has done so in the front row position for the last month for BRET. His form was rewarded with residents selection in his natural backrow slot and the reports I have heard from the people there say he was the single standout on the park.

As for your other question ashman I think the Under 20's is the first point of call because they are a fulltime squad who share facilities with the NRL squads. With a few exceptions the State Cup boys hold down jobs five days a week. The NRL have got it all arse about face with the NYC promotion. It is a good attacking game to watch but if you got the Raiders premiers from last season and played them against the Wenty side from last season than the Magpies would bury them

Gower should have Payten's spot…no doubt....Wonder if he had have been given a go ahead of Laurie last year hmmm.... I reckon he would be a fixture in the 17 by now....

Problem for him though he's a backrower and he has had Ellis, Heighington, Payne, Payten, Laurie, Galea, Halatau, Morris, Trimarchi, Mataka,Shirnack and now Dwyer in front of him.....If Sheens continues to cut the deadwood he moves up the pecking order....He deserves a Wests Tigers contract even if it is a second tier one...

If Wests Tigers management can't see that then David move on...Another NRL Coach will appreciate your talents.......

Would it be possible the most focus is on the NYC because those young blokes are on 1 or 2 year contracts only & are on show infront of all opposing NRL teams & we can't risk losing top quality NYC players, because they have more improvement possible in their play with an eye to the future…

Think about it... would you be happy if we lost players like Woods, Lui, Fifita(s), Hyland, Shirnack(s) or Dwyer just because we were turning all our focus on the state cup players...

@smeghead said:
Height: 190cm Weight: 97kgs Age:24

DG is a Magpies junior originally who went to the ESL very young for the experience and played for the Salford Reds from memory.

DG is actually a Balmain Junior, He played for Holy Cross when he was younger, as i recall.

He did.

Junior reps for the Pies though I thought. His career is pure joint venture

@smeghead said:
He did.

I remember him playing Flegg for Balmain in the centres. I think it was the same side Robbie was in, then when he couldn't get a run in Balmain Ryde Eastwood PL, then he went to the Magpies for a year before going to England.

@matty119 said:
@smeghead said:
He did.

I remember him playing Flegg for Balmain in the centres. I think it was the same side Robbie was in, then when he couldn't get a run in Balmain Ryde Eastwood PL, then he went to the Magpies for a year before going to England.

Correct. He has copped a rough deal everywhere he went. Top player. Has a nice old man too.

Team enforcer David Gower

2009 Balmain Tigers Player Profiles

Player Name: David Gower

Nickname: DG, Gobbler

Date of Birth: 30/9/85

Birthplace: Sydney

Junior Club: Holy Cross Rhinos,Balmain Tigers

Position played: Second Row, Prop, Lock

Height: 190cm

Weight: 97kgs

Rep Honours: English Super League, Salford

Previous Clubs: Wests Magpies, Salford City Reds (U.K)

Biggest influence on your career: My own drive, having no regrets and DK

Funniest team mate and why: Leeroy, cause he can tell a story.

Career outside of Rugby League: Electrician with Raven Electrical. Planning on studying to be a PE teach at ACPE
\
\
\
Return

If I was Gower I would be getting his Manager to look for another club. He would be a good inexpensive pick up for another NRL Club. Seriously if he can't get selected before Dwyer then I can't see Sheens using him in the future.

frm NSWRL website

Article on David Gower
Thursday, 30th July 2009
2009 is shaping as a memorable year for Balmain-Ryde Eastwood rugby league workhorse David Gower.
>
The mobile back rower is one of the toughest warriors in the NSW Cup competition with his powerful running and robust defence a feature of the Tigers’ premiership campaign.
>
Gower is now reaping the benefits of his tradesmanlike performances - both on and off the field.
>
Earlier this month the 23 year old apprentice electrician gained selection in the NSW Residents representative team that challenged Queensland in a curtain-raiser to the final State of Origin clash at Suncorp Stadium.
>
Gower turned in a strong game for the Blues, who were outclassed on the night, and received a further boost when named Apprentice of the Year at the Central & Northern Sydney Regional Training Awards held at the Mercure Hotel.
>
He is now a strong contender for the 2009 NSW Apprentice of the Year Award to be judged in September.
>
Gower is a fourth year apprentice at Raven Electrical in Gladesville - a long standing company owned by legendary Balmain forward Harry Raven who played 97 top grade games for the Tigers between 1959-65 and seven matches for North Sydney in 1966.
>
“Earning selection in the NSW Residents team was a huge buzz,” said Gower, a Holy Cross Rhinos junior who made his professional debut with Salford in the English Super League at the age of 20.
>
“But winning the regional Apprentice of the Year award was a special and proud moment. Raven are a family orientated company that service the electrical industry with quality and distinction and it’s such a pleasure to work for them,” David said.
>
“Being in a trade has been a perfect fit for my sporting and social life as the commitments are mostly from 7am to 3.30pm.”
>
“Down the track I’d like to become a TAFE or high school teacher but first want to consolidate my apprenticeship with a good few years of post trade work.”
>
Harry Raven heaped praise on young Gower, who progressed from the Balmain junior rep teams into Premier League in 2004.
>
“We are proud of David’s achievements - he has a good work ethic and a bright future in the trade,” said Harry.
>
“Our apprentice scheme is important to us and has helped mould many fine tradesmen over the years.”
>
A Tigers’ NSW Cup premiership win and NRL call up to Wests Tigers would cap a magical year for the hard-working Gower.
>
Source: The Weekly Times

I should send a copy to Sheens…well done DG...hopefully your time will come if not with the Wests Tigers then another NRL club....

Back