Djokovic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're a little off topic here. Can we please get back to Flogovic?

@earl said in [Djokovic](/post/1521928) said:
@tilllindemann said in [Djokovic](/post/1521921) said:
. The corporate lobby groups and neoliberal ideologues who pull the strings of government would much rather import people than fund proper industry training.

I don't think it's so simple. I worked for years for a big bank in big databases. We've never been able to get skilled resources solely from Australia. This is the same even within the big consulting companies.

I'll add the pay to me is ridiculously high. I was a manager and a full time employee and I was well paid but I had contractors in my team earning up to $1000 per day.

We need migrant labour.

My mate is a project manager @Optus and he just can’t hire end to end IT solutions architects anywhere in Aus. So they have no choice but to hire abroad

You'd have to be either racist or extremely stupid to think we need to be tough on immigration now.

You got data on that mate lol?

@trentrunciman said in [Djokovic](/post/1521937) said:
. The corporate lobby groups and neoliberal ideologues who pull the strings of government would much rather import people than fund proper industry training.

I don't think it's so simple. I worked for years for a big bank in big databases. We've never been able to get skilled resources solely from Australia. This is the same even within the big consulting companies.

I'll add the pay to me is ridiculously high. I was a manager and a full time employee and I was well paid but I had contractors in my team earning up to $1000 per day.

We need migrant labour.

My mate is a project manager @Optus and he just can’t hire end to end IT solutions architects anywhere in Aus. So they have no choice but to hire abroad

That was my job and that is the reality of the situation. There is a tonne of work and a dearth of talent.

@earl said in [Djokovic](/post/1521942) said:

We need migrant labour.

That was my job and that is the reality of the situation. There is a tonne of work and a dearth of talent.

He told me all the reasons why it was so hard to hire but I forgot the details. I just know I chose the wrong career. He told me those guys get paid 2k a day or something

@magpie_magic said in [Djokovic](/post/1521941) said:
You'd have to be either racist or extremely stupid to think we need to be tough on immigration now.

No but do you. I reckon you are wrong and if so that comments stands. You are the one that posted that dribble and I bet you can't back it up.

I've never liked racists and I'm a massive fan of migration.

@trentrunciman said in [Djokovic](/post/1521944) said:

We need migrant labour.

He told me all the reasons why it was so hard to hire but I forgot the details. I just know I chose the wrong career. He told me those guys get paid 2k a day or something

There are positions like that but generally they may make up a miniscule amount of total migration including students etc. Big business and government are just after bulk numbers to artificially inflate GDP.

Their was also a recent story on the ABC website that many migrants with PhDs are working low paid jobs because of a lack of positions.

Big pay and I've worked with some morons in that role. I was a project manager and I remember explaining to our solution architect how we store data. They eventually sacked the guy but I bet he got a job right after that.

I try and tell people to do accounting and learn SQL well so that you can analyze data. It's not that hard. It's miles off being a rocket scientist. The pay is fantastic for the work that you do. We all knew it too.

The projects I was on were millions of dollars and this isn't infrastructure projects where there is a massive cost on infrastructure/hardware. It was predominantly human resource costs.

The industry is dominated via Indians. They typically come over here and stay.

We need migrant labour.

IMHO, it depends which city we are talking about.
In general, the HR's in Sydney and Melbourne and consequently the head-hunters: the general rule is once you are over 50 yo forget it. Now, it could be some additional % of the people that refuse to vaccinate.
In Canberra, the situation is much better, huge number of available jobs, with no ageism discrimination (so far).
The other issue is that the HR/head-hunters are not knowledgeable enough - and reject candidates just because their resume does not exactly match the job description!?
Some of them are lazy, and the go the easy way -we need new meet/brains from the overseas!
My understanding is that very few go to the Uni/TAFE with the request for targeted education programs!

@magpie_magic said in [Djokovic](/post/1521935) said:
So when we hear of skills shortages what they mean is that they wished for undocumented scab labour sadly.
Trust me skill shortages are a myth.

This is just palava. I worked for the Commonwealth Bank and we consistently struggled getting staff and basically everyone was on over 100k per year.

What is your field ?

@earl said in [Djokovic](/post/1521945) said:
@magpie_magic said in [Djokovic](/post/1521941) said:

No but do you. I reckon you are wrong and if so that comments stands. You are the one that posted that dribble and I bet you can't back it up.

I've never liked racists and I'm a massive fan of migration.

Racist ,that's funny. Was called Wog all through till 2000 when Asians became the predominant culture in my suburb. I suppose I must look Anglo Saxon to them.

I'm not a massive fan of big migration. Sorry if that offends. Unless your narrow minded or ignorant you know full well the the bipartisan policy in Australia at the moment is for millions of migrants to come here in coming years. That information is freely available. With cost of living pressure and other societal influences our birthrate is not really contributing to population growth so any big Australia concept entails large scale migration in order to increase population which is a stated goal, a goal I might add without a mandate.

Dribble. Australia was immigrating over 500000 people a year pre pandemic including visa holders and students. All take up housing create congestion as most work like the rest of us.

These numbers are to high.

And with the pandemic still raging why bring anybody here except nationals.

We need migrant labour.

He told me all the reasons why it was so hard to hire but I forgot the details. **I just know I chose the wrong career. He told me those guys get paid 2k a day or something**

Yeh I finished high school 10 years ago with an ATAR of over 99 and dux of the school. Decided to go in to the clinical health field. I love what I do as I get to help people first hand but looking back, I see some of my friends who leeched off my notes make double what I make even though I am towards the top of my field and they are just average in theirs..

@earl said in [Djokovic](/post/1521950) said:
@magpie_magic said in [Djokovic](/post/1521935) said:
So when we hear of skills shortages what they mean is that they wished for undocumented scab labour sadly.
Trust me skill shortages are a myth.

This is just palava. I worked for the Commonwealth Bank and we consistently struggled getting staff and basically everyone was on over 100k per year.

What is your field ?

What percentage of migrants are on100k.

Next time you fill up your car or go for coffee ask the waitress of attendant his or her background. Often you'll hear the guys working petrol stations saying they are engineers who will never work in that field because nobody employs them.

Sounds like you were in on a good wicket good luck to you. But look around, all is not as it's seems.

@magpie_magic said in [Djokovic](/post/1521953) said:
Racist ,that's funny. Was called Wog all through till 2000 when Asians became the predominant culture in my suburb. I suppose I must look Anglo Saxon to them.

It's not about what you look like. It's about what you state. You sound ignorant and racist. If that is not the case great. I'm not easily offended.

Dribble. Australia was immigrating over 500000 people a year pre pandemic including visa holders and students. All take up housing create congestion as most work like the rest of us.

These numbers are to high.

And with the pandemic still raging why bring anybody here except nationals.

Your subjective opinion which doesn't appear to be based on any sort of valid reasoning is that the numbers are too high. The only support you have for your argument is they take up housing. That doesn't cut it to me.

In relation to your comment about why bring people in here now. I think it's completely obvious that there are massive supply constraints. So that argument of yours isn't very smart.

Lastly I am not a fan of stupid immigration. We need standards and we need to ensure that we don't screw over the citizens already living here. I am not across the details of immigration but I'd need much better arguments than yours to state that immigration is too high.

Give us good quality data. Give us good information.

@inbenjiwetrust said in [Djokovic](/post/1521949) said:

We need migrant labour.

IMHO, it depends which city we are talking about.
In general, the HR's in Sydney and Melbourne and consequently the head-hunters: the general rule is once you are over 50 yo forget it. Now, it could be some additional % of the people that refuse to vaccinate.
In Canberra, the situation is much better, huge number of available jobs, with no ageism discrimination (so far).
The other issue is that the HR/head-hunters are not knowledgeable enough - and reject candidates just because their resume does not exactly match the job description!?
Some of them are lazy, and the go the easy way -we need new meet/brains from the overseas!
My understanding is that very few go to the Uni/TAFE with the request for targeted education programs!

Yeah I just moved to Canberra 5 months ago to work for the Federal Govt and almost every Dept at the moment is short staffed. Making things even more challenging is security clearances from baseline to NV1 and NV2 take 12-18 months and then high level interviews with your friends.

I’d assume there are also a big cohort of Aussies who work overseas who don’t want to come back because of Covid as well which would contribute to the shortages

@magpie_magic said in [Djokovic](/post/1521956) said:
But look around, all is not as it’s seems.

Give us the data. Seriously. I'll listen to anything rational.

I should add that I have an 18 yo and a 20 yo. They both are managing to find work and they've both gotten into uni. I don't see a bad life ahead for them (and my 11 yo). The world to me keeps getting better and not worse.

@earl said in [Djokovic](/post/1521960) said:
@magpie_magic said in [Djokovic](/post/1521956) said:
But look around, all is not as it’s seems.

**Give us the data.** Seriously. I'll listen to anything rational.

I should add that I have an 18 yo and a 20 yo. They both are managing to find work and they've both gotten into uni. I don't see a bad life ahead for them (and my 11 yo). The world to me keeps getting better and not worse.

Do Facebook links count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back