Farah Field Goal.

tigergirlz

Have really liked the teams - MUCH EARLIER - consideration of the field goal. If we are up 6-0, I think the time will be ripe for an attempt.
Less heart attack material than 79th minute.
OK we are playing the team coming last but that can be a bad omen.

I must admit, I thought Farah's field goal was taken too early last night….IMO that is when they became complacent and lazy with defence and Manly ran all over us.

For a team like the Tigers, mental ability is very vulnerable as we do run off a live wire at times and play off instinct rather than sheer poise...I think we should just drill the rooters and lay 50 on them - then drop a field goal after 75 mins to really crush spirits.

I agree. You can never take a field goal too early. It chews up the clock and keeps the ball away from the opposing team.

Depends on your chances of scoring a try. If you can't get 6 points, you may as well take 1 point…

think its all mentality, some people say they never like it too early
guess just in case u get 19 points ahead and think we'll were more then 3 converted tries ahead we can relax a bit.

@izotope said:
guess just in case u get 19 points ahead and think we'll were more then 3 converted tries ahead we can relax a bit.

Look at the manly pack they are monsters! we couldn't crack them too good mate!,So the field goal is a great option Mentally is throws the other team off knowing they have to score two trys to get in-front I like the idea! and Farrah saved our season doing So!!.

@izotope said:

If its nil all after 30 mins !! i say Go for the FIELD GOAL
one -nil really hurts a team at
halftime hehehehe

i thought it was great timing to go for it i was just saying.. my old man was saying it was way to early for that field goal.

, i also like the 39th minute field goal when not much else seems to be on :slight_smile:

@Balmain Bug said:
I agree. You can never take a field goal too early. It chews up the clock and keeps the ball away from the opposing team.

1-0 might be a tad early….I think Robbie took it at the ideal time last night...no pressure no panic...Just depends on the moment I guess

@Geo. said:
@Balmain Bug said:

1-0 might be a tad early….I think Robbie took it at the ideal time last night...no pressure no panic...Just depends on the moment I guess

Hopefully we won't need to slot one against the Roosters, but when they go over it does chew up just that extra bit of time as well as give the side an extra set in attack. When don't you want to kick a field goal though? Well I can remember playing a junior rep game back in my heyday and we were down 10-0 against a strong Central Coast side with halftime almost upon us. We were 10 out and attacking their line when one of my mates who was playing second row decides to pot a field goal to make the score 10-1\. He didn't return for the second half :eek:pen_mouth:

If he had hit the one right before half-time I don't think Manly would have come back to the extent they did. Still good to win a close one after so many that got away during the year should give the team more confidence they can hold on from now on.

@willow said:
@Geo. said:
@Balmain Bug said:

Hopefully we won't need to slot one against the Roosters, but when they go over it does chew up just that extra bit of time as well as give the side an extra set in attack. When don't you want to kick a field goal though? Well I can remember playing a junior rep game back in my heyday and we were down 10-0 against a strong Central Coast side with halftime almost upon us. We were 10 out and attacking their line when one of my mates who was playing second row decides to pot a field goal to make the score 10-1\. He didn't return for the second half :eek:pen_mouth:

I was playing for the Casuarina Sharks in Darwin in 1992 down 12 nil our fullback slotted a Field goal halftime 12-1 we all laughed at how we made one point in 40 mins
We won the game 13 -12 with the fullback kicking from the sideline!
just goes to show one points better then NO points
gee we got drunk that night lol.

I thought at the time we took it to early, which may of lead to us dropping off in intensity.

But in saying that, even before Robbie kicked it, I could just feel the momentum starting to swing and it looked like we were starting to tire so it was a good time to kick it i the end.

Also he got a pretty ordinary pass from dummy half so there wasnt much happening so, may as well take a shot.

Gee he's kicked some crucial field goals the last few years, Penrith in 07 on half time, we hung to win by a point, Sharks in 07 to keep our season alive (At the time), this game… Im sure there's more crucial one's he's kicked too that i can think of.

And to take the 2 points early in the match. Verrrrrrrry clever.

IMO take every opportunity youve got. And one thing I HATE is when we get a penalty 10m out from the opposition line, 2 tackles in we put in a grubber. No no no no no. Take the 2 points more often!

@willow said:
@Geo. said:
@Balmain Bug said:

I was playing for the Casuarina Sharks in Darwin in 1992 down 12 nil our fullback slotted a Field goal halftime 12-1 we all laughed at how we made one point in 40 mins
We won the game 13 -12 with the fullback kicking from the sideline!
just goes to show one points better then NO points
gee we got drunk that night lol.

my old man tells me if i go back to playing rugby league, just kick a field goal no matter what the situation lol as he always wanted to n never got the chance LOL

That field goal from Farah was perfect at the time because there was nothing on at the time, shows good awareness of the games situation…

It is much easier after the game to know whether kicking a field goal is the right thing or not. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Win by 1 and you are the hero. Lose by 5 and you're a goose.

Another suggestion is to kick one the first opportunity you get. Good for the punters out there.

It was the right decision to take it early, get it out of the way with less pressure on.

The attitude after it was kicked needs to be fixed asap though.

Fact: Without kicking that field goal we would have won more comfortably, the boys seen it as a green light to switch off.

one has to look at the situation, farah sees the boys are already a bit tired, sees there is no opporturnity left or right, no one in line to chase, he had a clear shot .. he took it..
he did the exact opposite of what he did at the scg, and this time we won.. :laughing:

To break a dead lock, no earlier than the last 5\. You can pin them down their end instead and apply the pressure if you reject it, if you go for it, you surrender field position, and a dropped ball in the kick off set can be very costly.

Back