First look at Concord Oval revamp

@ said:
@ said:
It will be interesting to see what funding if any came from us and what we are getting out if it.
Timeframe aswell, 2022 as suggested by
a poster seems long.

Seems a bit long. The Knights coe is starting building next year and will be ready come 2020..

I don't think they have as many complexities with their funding with Wests Group now owning it and don't really have local/state govt as a partner. Everything is quicker when you have a cashed-up backer.

@ said:
I thought this was about Concord…well hijacked

Wasn't hijacked at all - this is about COE's for Wests Tigers - just letting it be known that there may be other options that in the long run might be a better bet than ensconcing oneself in an area that has no expansion prospects whatsoever.

@ said:
@ said:
I thought this was about Concord…well hijacked

Wasn't hijacked at all - this is about COE's for Wests Tigers - just letting it be known that there may be other options that in the long run might be a better bet than ensconcing oneself in an area that has no expansion prospects whatsoever.

Fair enough

Excuse my ignorance everyone but I am a little confused. The Canada Bay Council and State government are combining to build a new centre of excellence on the old Concord Oval site. This will be a multi-purpose facility with provision for football, club Rugby and the Wests Tigers training facilities. Where will the Tigers play the majority of their home games once the facility is completed - Concord Oval or the Western Sydney Stadium at Parramatta? I am not quite clear on whether the new facility will include a home ground or not. Have I got the name right for the new Parramatta Stadium?

To add my penny's worth, I'd like to see one home game at Leichhardt, two at Campbelltown and one in the country. Being an ex Balmain Tiger supporter, I have a nostalgic attachment to Leichhardt Oval. I can remember sitting on the hill during many packed Sunday afternoon games and absolutely loving the atmosphere of the place, however, it was a Saturday night game this season that convinced me that 'the old girl' has just about passed her use by date. Maybe it's my age, but being forced to stand on the hill in bitter cold for the duration of the match, having to to wade through swarming people to the disgusting underground toilets and being asked to pay $30 for these 'pleasures' really sapped my enthusiasm. Obviously, losing a critical game against St. George didn't help either but, seriously, I cannot see the value in this, especially when there is only one game offered for the price (another issue).

It is hard to get really excited about the COE excellence when it is so far off but, if it lifts the overall standard of the Wests Tigers as a progressive, professional organisation, with better facilities for players and fans, then I'm all for it. Actually, I think the club needs something like this to ensure it's survival.

So I imagine the club will need to find temporary office and training facilities whilst the COE is being built. Had anyone heard where?

Is 30 million the total cost of the project or just the councils contribution towards the project?

You don’t get a lot for 30 million when doing a redevelopment of this scale. Anyway, about time and it’s a win win for our club and Canada Bay

We need another Coach CEO Q&A session about our COE.
Anyone dislike acronyms.

@ said:
So I imagine the club will need to find temporary office and training facilities whilst the COE is being built. Had anyone heard where?

I was thinking that too. Wonder if homebush is an option?

@ said:
Is 30 million the total cost of the project or just the councils contribution towards the project?

You don’t get a lot for 30 million when doing a redevelopment of this scale. Anyway, about time and it’s a win win for our club and Canada Bay

Penriths COE cost $30 mill by itself.

Pascoe helped deliver Penriths COE. I'm sure he'll be working hard to ensure our facilities are just as good.

Great news on the COE this is our future and what we need to do is to concentrate on our future and not live on past glories of course we should look at having the majority of our home games at the new WSS its a no brainer one or two in the bush and three to four at CSS. Campbelltown is definitely our future being the fastest growing area in NSW with its junior league and proximity to Group 6 will give access to untapped talent pool if we don't look after it SOMEONE else will.

@ said:
Pascoe helped deliver Penriths COE. I'm sure he'll be working hard to ensure our facilities are just as good.

What was did role in that?

@ said:

Last year the project was quoted at 57mill with the the WTs contributing over 10mill. with government grants and council covering the remainder.
Whatever the real cost it is well overdue and maybe a contributing factor when attracting players considering that we have been are well behind in both these areas.

@ said:
@ said:

I got to tour Penriths COE last Thursday with my young blokes footy team .Dallin Watene - Zelezniak was our tour guide ( nice kid)

30 mill doesn’t get you much .
The main gym was very impressive as was the training field next to the centre .
The rest of the facilities were bog average at best …
Plunge pools
Wrestling area
Ice baths
Change rooms and media rooms were all very basic .

@ said:
@ said:

What was did role in that?

I couldn't say the specifics, but he was in senior management at the Panthers when it was delivered. CCO and then 'head of NRL'… whatever that means.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

I got to tour Penriths COE last Thursday with my young blokes footy team .Dallin Watene - Zelezniak was our tour guide ( nice kid)

Plunge pools
Wrestling area
Ice baths

It's supposed to be state-of-the-art? By reports anyway.

@ said:
Good point Steve, there is no commencement date of proposed finish date in the article… Huge disruption for a couple of years

Disruption to what, our apparently crap facilities and ordinary gym?

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Plunge pools
Wrestling area
Ice baths

Their COE sits underneath the Western Stand doesn't it Hobbs?

You'd think some of the $30m would be reworking the existing structure as well.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
@ said:

Plunge pools
Wrestling area
Ice baths

Their COE sits underneath the Western Stand doesn't it Hobbs?

You'd think some of the $30m would be reworking the existing structure as well.

Nah … the new COE is behind the club itself adjacent to the aqua golf pond

There old gym was underneath the western stand adjacent to mulgoa rd

The new COE is just like a modern apartment complex inside tbh .
Change rooms , tv / lounge room etc

The gym was outstanding though complete with a hyperbaric chamber which cost 200k ( I was told)

I took pics of the gym but I’m too dumb to upload them lol

The gym at concord looks like a POW set up compared to what I seen at Penrith, but if it cost them $30 mill ...I’m in the wrong trade !

Back