Fishing Thread

Going fishing at Lugarno today. Bream, Flatty and Mulloway are all potential catches there.
Used to get some big bream anchoring off Moon Point using black crabs with their backs off. Had to be very quiet or you wouldn't get a thing.

Used to get some big bream anchoring off Moon Point using black crabs with their backs off. Had to be very quiet or you wouldn't get a thing.
Amazing all the different baits getting mentioned with bream ...a lot comes down to environment and the time of year too I guess

Some people swear by soldier crabs ...never caught one with a soldier crab ......same with whiting with soldier crabs .....nada

Geez, when I was younger, fresh prawns were the go-to bait for all seasons.
What they get naturally is usually always best. Used to be black crabs everywhere in the Georges river. Took us about 20 minutes to catch enough to have a good session.
My brother knew every fishing hole around Padstow Heights and could pull fish out of places where you'd swear there were none.

Amazing all the different baits getting mentioned with bream ...a lot comes down to environment and the time of year too I guess

Some people swear by soldier crabs ...never caught one with a soldier crab ......same with whiting with soldier crabs .....nada
With the black crabs we pulled their legs off for berley; took the back off and broke them in half if bigger. Scent everywhere - bream went mad on them.

Lightly ( Panko ) fried crumbed whiting fillets
Grilled Mackerel steaks ( olive oil , salt , Pepper )
BBQ. Snapper Fillets ( Butter , Lemon juice )
Deep Fried ( Beer Battered ) Blue Eye Cod Fillets
Sea Perch poached in lighy soy sauce / water / Garlic / Parsley / Shallots

all served with Home made Potato salad and a nice fresh Garden Salad. chips optional
I've just had dinner but this comment is still making me hungry. The beer battered cod sounds so good.

whats the trick with flatheads? im only good with tailors
With lures, they must touch the bottom,slow retrieves and subtle lifts of the rod tip, 2 to 5 Carbon graphite rod, 10lb braid, 10lb leader. Plastics z mann-motor oil, opening night,shad shad, gold rush,red shad . TTure 1/4 or to the bottom. Where the whiting and bait fish are the flathead are in groups of 4 to 10. Same for bait fishing, squid, mullet , etc, drift or cast and retrieve, sandbanks at change of tide are a winner.

Good summary on the flatties above.
I’ll add that for those not accustomed, these fish are ambush predators who slightly bury themselves and hang around on the edges of mangroves, sand bars, mud bars, beach gutters, break walls and reefs. They always lay on the bottom, facing the flow of whatever current they are in.
Live bait works very well with them and I like to cast past where I think they may be and retrieve. Bottom bashing rigs also work well with simple hook with sinker down onto the bait being effective.
Good luck.

sleeve put up a pretty solid response, but sometimes it’s just ur luck on the day… i’ve had days where all i’m doing is just casting & bringing in nothing
Yeah those days are called fishing and the days your filling ya bucket are called catching.
I reckon you add @sleeve and @Troy Jack posts together and ya gunna be doing more catching than fishing.

Yeah those days are called fishing and the days your filling ya bucket are called catching.
I reckon you add @sleeve and @Troy Jack posts together and ya gunna be doing more catching than fishing.
Just a note on flathead, after catching, check your leader for abrasion,. Their raspy teeth quite often have damaged your line,check it, and if needed cut off affected line. It's a good idea to do this with all fish. You don't want to lose the fish of a lifetime, to a worn leader !

Just spent the past 6 hours setting the world record for most chunder/burley created by a male 😂😂

Just a sports charter, even took tablets but I was all over the place

Anyone got any good kingfish recipes?
very sharp knife n soy sauce-(wasabi pickled ginger)

My favourite fishing spot is a place called De Costis. Gave them a good workout whilst on holidays in Sydney.
Fresh tiger prawns, oysters, scallops and whole snapper/ flathead.
And no sunburn.
When I was younger used to fish with my old man in a tinnie, I’d get bored real quick and would gently rock the boat till he told me to piss off.
As we were invariably fishing in Lake Macquarie or around Swansea, I used to dive overboard and swim to shore. Eventually he stopped taking me.

My favourite fishing spot is a place called De Costis. Gave them a good workout whilst on holidays in Sydney.
And no sunburn.
When I was younger used to fish with my old man in a tinnie, I’d get bored real quick and would gently rock the boat till he told me to piss off.
As we were invariably fishing in Lake Macquarie or around Swansea, I used to dive overboard and swim to shore. Eventually he stopped taking me.
I hear you talking. Hated fishing with the old man - too many hours on the water in Botany Bay or Port Hacking occasionally getting good catches but mainly nada.
Surprised I love it so much now but guess I have him to thank for that.

And no sunburn.
Lol. If I was your dad, and you rocked the boat just to piss me off . . . you wouldn't need to dive to be overboard. ;):)

I hear you talking. Hated fishing with the old man - too many hours on the water in Botany Bay or Port Hacking occasionally getting good catches but mainly nada.
Surprised I love it so much now but guess I have him to thank for that.
Unfortunately it made me go the other way, haven’t been fishing for a long time but still like to check on any catch if I see someone with a line in.

Back