Fishing Thread

Only fresh water fishing we really did was chasing big catties or bull sharks way up Ipswich at the mouth of the Bremer and Brisbane river .......yep 40kms island ...bull sharks .....meat works at Dinmore sure did help ......
I’ve lived on the mid north coast with a big river so that’s all I really know. Had to sell the boat recently due to health. I did do Nepean river a few times with the bro in-law. Some tough days there. Went out three days running one time caught three fish between us two on the first morning and one on the last day arvo. Using lures and spinning baits etc. got the first two on spinner bait lures cast at the bank in and around structure, pretty kool. Then we had two days of nothing and I noticed they had started taking the bread off the surface, so I switched to a surface bug landed it right in between some bread and smasho fish clean out of the water. Now that was way kool.

I don’t eat fish in restaurants, but yes I dont see them.
Flatties are best cooked fresh and I’d wager most people who enjoy the outdoors highly rate them.
Plenty of the pubs and clubs have flathead tails on the menu but it is frozen battered crap that tastes nothing like flathead. Give me a fresh flathead on the bone anyday. Any whole fish for that matter always tastes better than a fillet.

Plenty of the pubs and clubs have flathead tails on the menu but it is frozen battered crap that tastes nothing like flathead. Give me a fresh flathead on the bone anyday. Any whole fish for that matter always tastes better than a fillet.
I liked the flattys for the mrs she has to have skinless and boneless. And I can do that with a flatty in seconds.
Don’t even talk about the head, if fish heads land on the table she’s out of there.

I was involved in the seafood industry for a while years ago. Many shops and restaurents sold fish as Barra, that was Nile perch from Africa, it's the same species as Barra,. The markets sold thousands of tons of it. Another con, was Dory fillets, which were in fact freshwater cat fish from the Mekong delta, it would be close to the most polluted river in the world. Buyers beware.

I was involved in the seafood industry for a while years ago. Many shops and restaurents sold fish as Barra, that was Nile perch from Africa, it's the same species as Barra,. The markets sold thousands of tons of it. Another con, was Dory fillets, which were in fact freshwater cat fish from the Mekong delta, it would be close to the most polluted river in the world. Buyers beware.
Yes I’ve heard similar stories. It’s why I never order fish in restaurants. Just don’t trust the source.
Catch and cook your own.

I went trout fishing this winter for the first times.
Wasn’t a fan. Far too cold and next to zero action.
Coral trout ...different story lol .....one fish that is in Gladstone Harbour

The live tanks got contiminated many years ago and they had to empty them .....around where all the boats are moored ..some damn big Coral Trout

• Wow
Reactions: BZN
That's aweful. Isn't there a regulator to stop that sort of thing. Unbelievable.

Have to agree with Sleeve I ask for fresh Barra fillets years ago at a fish market and they bought out this brown ish looking fillet and I knew of the Nile perch thing so I asked them was it Barra or Nile Perch , the lady walked of , Manager come out and said we got none left these are sold , haha it was Nile perch 100% and then I found out at the time it come in 5 kg boxes at about $ 4 kg , Barra was about $15 Kg the time , nice mark up , Fresh cod fillets were cat fish as well ,

That's aweful. Isn't there a regulator to stop that sort of thing. Unbelievable.
They can call it what they want overseas, unless it's changed. I never buy food of any type from Vietnam or China. Western, and european only, i'm not racist it's quality control,.
The safest way , if it's not labelled Australian it's imported, if it does not say fresh, it's been frozen. major retailers should specify or can be fined heavily.

They can call it what they want overseas, unless it's changed. I never buy food of any type from Vietnam or China. Western, and european only, i'm not racist it's quality control,.
The safest way , if it's not labelled Australian it's imported, if it does not say fresh, it's been frozen. major retailers should specify or can be fined heavily.
I buy either fresh crimson snapper fillets from the boats at Scarborough in nth of Brisbane or if I'm desperate i buy John West??

I'm at the Sunny Coast and fish the Pumistone Passage. Pretty much only use lures these days. Been getting some great flathead at the moment. Also love casting small poppers for whiting on the sand flats.
Mate took me outside last week after Sandys. Put down 8 pots off Bribie Island and bagged close to 60 legal crabs. Love a feed of Singapore chilli crabs.
Prefer a sandie to a muddie any day - but won't of course knock a muddie back :)

Have to agree with Sleeve I ask for fresh Barra fillets years ago at a fish market and they bought out this brown ish looking fillet and I knew of the Nile perch thing so I asked them was it Barra or Nile Perch , the lady walked of , Manager come out and said we got none left these are sold , haha it was Nile perch 100% and then I found out at the time it come in 5 kg boxes at about $ 4 kg , Barra was about $15 Kg the time , nice mark up , Fresh cod fillets were cat fish as well ,
If you can't tell catfish ...you shouldn't be buying fish

The only way you can make forkies palatable is stuff them with onions rice and tomatoes ..they are like rubber ......cod is a firm fish and even the bigger ones are bearable .....and I'm only talking estuary cod as well ......

Find a fish you like and then pay attention to what it looks like and how it tastes ....and if it doesn't taste good threaten to take it to the Health Dept .......

For those wanting too use a trustworthy seafood in Brisbane place go out To Sams Seafoods at Hamilton

If anyone knows of trustworthy seafood co-ops etc in Sydney

If in Gladstone go to the Gladstone Co Op ......he is related to Hodgo .....

While it's not a racist thing . . . sure as hell there'd be some clown that would contort it to accuse you of racism.
Personally, I agree . . . in particular the Viet stuff. I don't want to eat anything that comes from a river in which the nearby population wash their clothes, their bits, and rinse their sanitary pads.

• Wow
Reactions: BZN
Back