Half-baked Tigers out of options

Bazzinator

* Christian Nicolussi
* June 23, 2010 12:00AM
New kid in town … Blake Lazarus is expected to play halfback for the Tigers. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph
>
TIGERS officials don't want to shift Robbie Farah to halfback on Friday, fearing it would crucify his chances to dislodge NSW hooker Michael Ennis from the Blues team for Origin III.
>
The Tigers are facing a halfback crisis with Robert Lui named at No.7 yesterday but next to no chance of playing the Dragons.
>
Back-up options Tim Moltzen has a season-ending knee injury and Arana Taumata this week left to join the Cowboys, which leaves Blake Lazarus the frontrunner.
>
To make matters worse, new fullback recruit Wade McKinnon - one of five players who did not train yesterday - is also racing the clock to beat a hip injury.
>
Coach Tim Sheens will give Lui every chance to overcome a knee injury, but The Daily Telegraph understands shifting Farah from hooker to halfback was quickly shelved.
>
A starring performance by Farah at No. 9 will all but assure him Ennis's Blues jumper for the dead rubber against Queensland.
>
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
>
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
>
Interestingly, Farah also failed to train because of a corked shin but won't miss the trip to Kogarah.
>
Sheens said the short week had done none of his players any favours and Lui would be given plenty of time to prove his fitness.
>
"Robbie has a bit of a leg injury - he took a bump to the knee - there's no ligament issues, but we're just waiting for it to settle down," Sheens said.
>
"We will give him until the last minute to get ready, and if he doesn't make it I've got a couple of other options. In the next 24 hours I'll have a better idea. I'm not going to get ahead of myself. We're unlikely to consider Robbie [Farah] there."
>
Chris Heighington (hip), McKinnon and Lote Tuqiri (knee) failed to train yesterday, but Sheens said it was precautionary.
>
Sheens was delighted his Tigers had won four in a row, but did not see the Dragons clash as a guide to how well his side was travelling.
>
"I don't think this will be a defining week for us because there are still 11 weeks to go and I wouldn't think any side is in semi-finals form," Sheens said.
>
"Every team is up and down. Maybe the Dragons are just more consistent than most other teams at the moment, but they are in a similar position to us.
>
"They played Sunday and were involved in a bruising game [against the Sharks] and may or may not have some issues in their camp."
>
In brighter news for the Tigers, giant prop Keith Galloway survived his first-up hitout against Canberra and will start up front on Friday.
>
Farah was one of several players who last night joined their partners at Concord Oval for a cooking promotion with last year's MasterChef winner, Julie Goodwin, to help promote this weekend's Women in League round.

oh crap now i wish we would have kept taumata that way sheens could move benji to half and arana to 5/8th but ah well lazo gets his chance again and i hope he actually plays half

bugger hindsight is always 20/20

bring up Lazo and as BTF says, actually play him at half, should be fine as long as our forwards aim up and the refs let us have the ball

This is very bad luck, exactly what we didn't need. W have forwards coming out of our ears and no half back.

Benji to half, Chris Lawrence to 5/8 and Daniella to the centres. Or, Benji to half, Flanagan to 5/8 - saves dropping a forward when they have all played well.

Lazarus to half and play him there. Our best option now that Moltzen is injured.

Not good news at all. Hopefully Lui's knee settles down quick, positive sign is that there is no ligament damage. It will also be a blow if McKinnon is ruled out but hopefully hopefully the REST principle works well for all the players this week.

i really hope mckinnon is okay, losing lui will be a huge blow but hopefully lazarus comes in and steps up, if he is looking for a contract extension or other offer from clubs then he has the perfect opportunity to move a good tigers pack around. But robbie and benji are key in this game, they need to be at 110% injecting themselves in.

Looks like a good clash, so excited…supposed to be studying for exams but just been watcing canberra game over and over and refreshing the forum lol.

p.s if we do lose then at least we should have a fit team the following week, this was always going to be a tough game to win anyway. but good luck tiges

Our options are to play players in their natural positions…it has been proven in the past that playing players out of position does not work!...I saw Lui hobbling for most of the game last weekend...I doubt he'll be fit...so the ONLY choice is to play Lazo there...if he is good enough he will make a game of it....if he doesn't he is destined to be a reserve grader for the rest of his career...simple.

I'd say Fitzy will play 6 and Benji will play 7.

If they do use Blake, Id be pushing for him to be played at 7\. And dont put him at the back in defence or the wing. Plunk him in the middle of the pitch where there is more cover for him, rather than allowing him to be isolated for Creagh and Smith to run over him. Defending at 9, he will learn to be a good defender real quick!!!

I would seriously consider Nicholls the best option for this weekend if we are going to bring a player in. Than again Lazarus has had the experience in grade and a few more games under his belt for fitness etc.

The other real option that should be considered is bringing Farlow into the team to play as a semi distributor and running 5/8 between Benji & Farah.

If McKinnon is out bring Meaney in.

It's a tough game in a tough part of the season. Just play the best we have available and see what happens

I'm going to put a vote in for Darren Nichols.. I rekon he is a good little player…

He's been around the team long enough, so Fitzy to half back. All he needs to do is catch and pass

I would go Flanagan 5/8th, Marshall 1st receiver as he is playing 90% of the time anyway & at times Farah at 1st receiver feeding the ball to Marshall which happens at times anyway during the game.
Promote Fafita back to the bench.Happy days!!! :smiley:

@alexaki said:
…so the ONLY choice is to play Lazo there...if he is good enough he will make a game of it....if he doesn't he is destined to be a reserve grader for the rest of his career...simple.

Agreed if Rob Lui is out …..Lets find if Lazo can cut it.

@Bazzinator said:
* Christian Nicolussi
* June 23, 2010 12:00AM
New kid in town … Blake Lazarus is expected to play halfback for the Tigers. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph
>
TIGERS officials don't want to shift Robbie Farah to halfback on Friday, fearing it would crucify his chances to dislodge NSW hooker Michael Ennis from the Blues team for Origin III.
>
The Tigers are facing a halfback crisis with Robert Lui named at No.7 yesterday but next to no chance of playing the Dragons.
>
Back-up options Tim Moltzen has a season-ending knee injury and Arana Taumata this week left to join the Cowboys, which leaves Blake Lazarus the frontrunner.
>
To make matters worse, new fullback recruit Wade McKinnon - one of five players who did not train yesterday - is also racing the clock to beat a hip injury.
>
Coach Tim Sheens will give Lui every chance to overcome a knee injury, but The Daily Telegraph understands shifting Farah from hooker to halfback was quickly shelved.
>
A starring performance by Farah at No. 9 will all but assure him Ennis's Blues jumper for the dead rubber against Queensland.
>
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
>
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
>
Interestingly, Farah also failed to train because of a corked shin but won't miss the trip to Kogarah.
>
Sheens said the short week had done none of his players any favours and Lui would be given plenty of time to prove his fitness.
>
"Robbie has a bit of a leg injury - he took a bump to the knee - there's no ligament issues, but we're just waiting for it to settle down," Sheens said.
>
"We will give him until the last minute to get ready, and if he doesn't make it I've got a couple of other options. In the next 24 hours I'll have a better idea. I'm not going to get ahead of myself. We're unlikely to consider Robbie [Farah] there."
>
Chris Heighington (hip), McKinnon and Lote Tuqiri (knee) failed to train yesterday, but Sheens said it was precautionary.
>
Sheens was delighted his Tigers had won four in a row, but did not see the Dragons clash as a guide to how well his side was travelling.
>
"I don't think this will be a defining week for us because there are still 11 weeks to go and I wouldn't think any side is in semi-finals form," Sheens said.
>
"Every team is up and down. Maybe the Dragons are just more consistent than most other teams at the moment, but they are in a similar position to us.
>
"They played Sunday and were involved in a bruising game [against the Sharks] and may or may not have some issues in their camp."
>
In brighter news for the Tigers, giant prop Keith Galloway survived his first-up hitout against Canberra and will start up front on Friday.
>
Farah was one of several players who last night joined their partners at Concord Oval for a cooking promotion with last year's MasterChef winner, Julie Goodwin, to help promote this weekend's Women in League round.

coming from the Telecrap I take this with a pinch of salt. We have'nt heard sqaut about us in the paper over the last 3-4 weeks when we having been winning but now ther is the possibility of us losing or injuries the CRAP jumps all over it. Red face Rothfield is again in his bandwagon today so lets just see what happens.

Theres no similar story anywhere else.

Back