Hastings - Reasons for leaving

If the rest of the team cared like he did we wouldn't have won the spoon.

Wouldn't have made the 8 either, but there wouldn't have been a couple of 50+ point dickings either in the last few rounds.
100%.
That’s all we ask of this year…If a few go above and beyond, we play finals.

Hastings would think well of the club for releasing him to take up what must be a fairly generous offer. It's a win win for both parties as it opens up an opportunity at 13 meaning lots of competition in pre-season.
the club could have held Hastings to play 13, they didn't and Hastings gets to play in the preferred 7 position and a pay rise from Newcastle. I would expect him to be very grateful to the club.

the club could have held Hastings to play 13, they didn't and Hastings gets to play in the preferred 7 position and a pay rise from Newcastle. I would expect him to be very grateful to the club.
He did serve us well in a difficult year that earned him that contract with Newcastle. Rewarded for a good year of footy, just not at WTs.

His reasons for being apprehensive towards playing lock were fair.
  • Said he didn't have a quick PTB,
  • That the other middle forwards had to get through more work with him there,
  • And that he was clashing with Brooks and Doueihi in terms of on-field voices.
As another poster said, he got a big pay rise and a more suited role. We got a good middle forward which is what we needed. All parties win.

Hastings played okay, better in the 13 for mine and now gets an opportunity to play in his preferred position this year, so what's not to like for him?

Good thing for all parties involved, is that they get their chance to sort it out in round two, and I am looking forward to it.

Interesting the narrative was always Salford had no money for him after the GF appearance - I’m of the belief clubs make the money available for a player that had such an effect on the team / comp.

He said in the pod that he wanted to test himself at an elite club - and deal with the expectations that come along with it?

Also came across that the fact that “another club” had moved him on and the dint to his pride that it had happened again that hurt most…

Yeah thought we looked best last year with him at 13, and with more time there - who knows… History won’t know, he’s moved on.
I’m not so sure about us looking better with Hastings at 13? Possibly looked “different” than the 13s before him.
I recall watching a game where our 13 had 90 possessions, 20 tackles, while our half had 60 possessions and 30 tackles. IDK? He may have been instructed to take pressure off Brooks but regardless, it wasn’t flowing .

Back