Hastings

I had him as our best yesterday as well Earl.. the team, combinations and roles not so much.. it's why they struggle..instead of building on what's working there is an obvious attempt for a quick fix.. that never ends well 1 tiny step forward 3 massive leaps backwards with this mob ..

I don't know why they changed tactics but that is a coaching issue. Was that the reason they were so bad though ?

The slow comments are pretty funny right. It's the same as Doueihi being slow. It's right but those guys are clearly our best attacking players and it's by miles.
No I actually agree with the original comment: Hastings is kind of slow, but he can power through a tackle, so that counts even. Doesn't matter how you get past the defence.

Madden to outplay Brooks again.

😎
I'm afraid I'm yet to be convinced that it is possible.

I would love for Jock Madden to get a call-up and fight his way to starting halfback, but I've never seen anything from him to suggest that is possible.

Wait, edit: I saw him take a nice run and put on a try in the trials, that's the one thing I've seen.

This does my head in..Hastings played the halfback role yesterday.. it didn't work very well..

Hastings had 60 receipts of the ball yesterday 2/3rds more than Brooks with 46 .. the number 6 or 7 they wear is irrelevant.. the attack did not flow as well as it did against Melbourne.. any combinations Brooks/Tuilagi Hastings/Leilua ...was wasted after 1 game

Unsure why the coaching staff decided to switch them onto the other sides of the field especially in defence..NRL proper in not the time to experiment with these things.. it's why there is an off season ..oh and supposed training during the week
Hastings plays unstructured. Not sure anyone watched his Wigan games last year but 5/8 or ball playing lock is his spot. Providing he can keep up with the work rate. Just need a half who has a stronger kick.

Any comments on the forwards Demps?

Brooks was crap but funny how he’s the one who cops it the most. The big burly fellas can just take the piss?
of course not that doesn't fit the bag Brooks constantly agenda

Hastings plays unstructured. Not sure anyone watched his Wigan games last year but 5/8 or ball playing lock is his spot. Providing he can keep up with the work rate. Just need a half who has a stronger kick.
Hastings us the perfect ball playing lock

I had him as our best yesterday as well Earl.. the team, combinations and roles not so much.. it's why they struggle..instead of building on what's working there is an obvious attempt for a quick fix.. that never ends well 1 tiny step forward 3 massive leaps backwards with this mob ..
I heard Madge say in the pre game two things.
1) we failed to complete our sets and control the game in the second half vs Storm.
2) we have spent all week reshaping our attack.

Why?

It was a lack of defence and errors made by our forwards and backs that cost us the game vs the Storm.
There was probably one chance at 16 all in front of the posts for an easy field goal but that was with 15mins to go. But I couldn’t see a field goal stopping the momentum the storm we’re building.

Although he has started well, eventually he'll be dragged down into the club's mediocrity. No player is immune from this. I call it the 'Wests Tigers Effect', which decreases your playing ability for each season you spend playing for us.
Unless we recruit 6 good players for next season that can help break the cycle we have two already

No I actually agree with the original comment: Hastings is kind of slow, but he can power through a tackle, so that counts even. Doesn't matter how you get past the defence.

That was my thought.

Hastings us the perfect ball playing lock

Honestly I think the best thing for our team is 7 Hastings and 6 Doueihi. I said this prior to the season starting and even though we've only played 2 games I can't see that assessment changing over the course of the season.

I watched a little of Hastings in England. I think he is a 7. He could probably be a decent lock forward in today's game as well but I think he is much more suited to 7.

It's not an emotional decision biased against Brooks either. I just don't see Brooks as being any better than an average halfback and Hastings is better than that. Doueihi is a better running half than Brooks. Brooks doesn't fit in anywhere else either.

We are a losing club. We have to start making some tough decisions.

Honestly I think the best thing for our team is 7 Hastings and 6 Doueihi. I said this prior to the season starting and even though we've only played 2 games I can't see that assessment changing over the course of the season.

I watched a little of Hastings in England. I think he is a 7. He could probably be a decent lock forward in today's game as well but I think he is much more suited to 7.

It's not an emotional decision biased against Brooks either. I just don't see Brooks as being any better than an average halfback and Hastings is better than that. Doueihi is a better running half than Brooks. Brooks doesn't fit in anywhere else either.

We are a losing club. We have to start making some tough decisions.
I’m yet to see a decent kicking game from Hastings?

I have read enough on here in regard to Hastings and the Brooks fans....
In my opinion and I will stick to it through whatever crap people want to throw my way...
Hastings showed more quality as an NRL player than all our team yesterday,he may be slow or cumbersome to most of the keyboard warriors,but he has grit and knows the game,he made a bad tackle through frustration more than anything and if most on here have played the game,you will know that if you play your guts out and others go along for the ride then these sort of things happen...
Wait for the God to come back which is AD,or try and show some intestinal fortitude while trying to perform to your paycheck may help putting the team and club in good stead...
Hastings may have to deal with the result of that tackle,but I give him 200 % for trying to get this team of rabble to perform to the standard required...

Back