OFFICIAL Heamasi Makasini #303

Macca back to wing will help him , he looked slow and worn out in the centre but he also looked like he had no punch and was easy tackled , if Skelton was 0laying better I would have given Macca few games n reserves to build back up his confidence as it looked gone
 
You have up summed Maka's current defiencies well. I have noticed that he is susceptible to a late step from an opponent when defending and, also, he can easily be swung to the ground by defenders when trying to get on the outside. No swerve, no fend and without the necessary pace to get around an opposition defender. This was really obvious when Moses repeatedly took him down in the Parra game. No doubt he'll get better though, as he adjusts to the step up in first grade.
Has had a few dropped balls in earlier games that would have dented his confidence, i notice he is hugging the ball in both arms when he runs, this makes him an easy target and loses his fend....he will get better.
 
Has had a few dropped balls in earlier games that would have dented his confidence, i notice he is hugging the ball in both arms when he runs, this makes him an easy target and loses his fend....he will get better.
Ha-ha, like a running back in NFL!
 
I worry about players being blooded in too early.

He's doing fine. I don't think we should expect much more than what he's doing. But, he may have higher expectations from himself. He might feel like he needs to produce more line breaks, try assists etc based on all the early hype.

I hope Benji reassures him that he's doing well and his goal should just be to focus on basics and finish the season with above average performances. The freak moments will come, don't go looking for them.
I think the constant defence is what’s hurting him , that’s why he needs a break , remember he’s only a kid still , and we got players who can fill in for 2-3 games
 
I think the constant defence is what’s hurting him , that’s why he needs a break , remember he’s only a kid still , and we got players who can fill in for 2-3 games
Hes also had a target on his back. Fisher-Harris and Junior Paulo have lined him up the last few weeks. Doesnt get much harder than that.

I got the sense he was taking less carries out of yardage on the weekend. Hopeful that was a direction from Benji
 
Hes also had a target on his back. Fisher-Harris and Junior Paulo have lined him up the last few weeks. Doesnt get much harder than that.

I got the sense he was taking less carries out of yardage on the weekend. Hopeful that was a direction from Benji
Yep
Easy target for NRL defenders as with his hit ups his body position is too upright and front on.
Has to learn to protect himself with hip & Shoulder before he gets really smashed.
Again he has been a giant in the juniors and this is all new to him so let’s hope he’s a quick learner.
 
No salary cap in Union…

Very keen to see him back on the wing this week …needs more space and less defensive workload …also playing outside Luai and Taylan will help
I know he didn’t stand out at centre but he also didn’t fail and learned from his mistakes. I think development wise it was a really valuable stint. For an 18 yo to handle centre in NRL is no mean feat, we’ve seen more established players put there and get found out badly.

Some time on the sting will maybe grow his confidence even more. Hopefully.
 
I know he didn’t stand out at centre but he also didn’t fail and learned from his mistakes. I think development wise it was a really valuable stint. For an 18 yo to handle centre in NRL is no mean feat, we’ve seen more established players put there and get found out badly.

Some time on the sting will maybe grow his confidence even more. Hopefully.
You don't have to look too far to see how difficult it can be for young players.

Wilson De-Coursey in his debut year and 20 years old. 40 mins v Canberra with 57 run metres and 1 tackle break and 6 tackles 3 missed (66%); then 41 minutes and hooked v us with 21 run metres, 0 tackle breaks 4 tackles and 2 missed (66%).

Gags at the other end of the scale in experience with 90, 147 and 157m with 9, 12 and 8 tackle breaks in his last three games with a tackle efficiency of 92%, 83% and 88%.

Big Mak at centre 88, 198 and 128m with 2, 2and 3 tackle breaks and a tackle efficiency of 80%, 82% and 76%.

Not doing too bad for a kid at centre; I think we need to keep him!
 
Last edited:
I know he didn’t stand out at centre but he also didn’t fail and learned from his mistakes. I think development wise it was a really valuable stint. For an 18 yo to handle centre in NRL is no mean feat, we’ve seen more established players put there and get found out badly.

Some time on the sting will maybe grow his confidence even more. Hopefully.
As an 18 year old, I thought he probably didn't handle it. Regularly missed tackles. Wrong options and easily contained in attack. But Benji wanted to show his trust and belief in him by persisting and moving him to the wing. I think it will pay off for the team and for Maka's development.
 
I’m willing to give him a break. The first error, there was no need for Bula to pass, and Maka isn’t the only player who would have been taken by surprise. It was a stupid pass. I think the second mistake was a domino effect. He recovered though defusing the kick and running back to the 20. Unfortunately didn’t restart it on the mark, but overall, he’s 18. It’s gonna happen.
 
I’m willing to give him a break. The first error, there was no need for Bula to pass, and Maka isn’t the only player who would have been taken by surprise. It was a stupid pass. I think the second mistake was a domino effect. He recovered though defusing the kick and running back to the 20. Unfortunately didn’t restart it on the mark, but overall, he’s 18. It’s gonna happen.
It can happen in KOE because despite his enormous potential he needs to reset and regain confidence..he cost us that one
 
Agree that Bula shouldn’t have passed it. He’s going to be a good player. The NRL is hard. Most outside backs are very physical at this level. He needs some time in cup to build his game and confidence.
And work on his defensive reads. They are terrible. Comes in when there is no need.
 
He probably could use a week or two off just to rest and re-group. I'm not gonna knock him for those two errors, it happens and he's been fine on that front the first few weeks. As I said earlier in the thread, he's been fine in first grade as an 18 year old, which puts him incredibly far ahead of the curve.
 

Latest posts

Members online

Back
Top