OFFICIAL Heamasi Makasini #303

Nothing gained playing Maka in NSW cup. He’s too far ahead of that level to get anything out of it. His upside is huge Id guess Benji persists unless he’s impacted on a personal level. He’s going to have these games as a kid have to live with it.


Needs needs a week off then a game in NSW then back to NRL just to freshen him up

When Val Holmes came into first he was a few weeks up then a week back down not to burn him out and to get use to the mental side of the game not just the physical side of getting hit by grown men not boys each week
 
His biggest problem is that he does not know how to beat a player without physical dominance. He has grown up his whole life being the most impressive athlete on the field and has become reliant on winning initial contact. He has been physically matched or beaten consistently this season and he doesn’t have the other feathers to his bow ie catch/pass, footwork, aerial skills and defensive structure that are at first grade standard right now.

I think he really needs to go to reserve grade and develop these attributes. He is physically ready for first grade, I don’t think his skills are at first grade level. Tavana and Laulilii are better all around players right now.
 
Young players are consistently inconsistent. They have to ride the wave of disappointment including getting over poor games, if they are going to make it. Whether that means giving them a week off not sure - it may actually make things harder for them. I'll leave that up to the sports psychologists.
 
Yeah this silly mentality that others have done it, therefore everyone can is harmful.
Of course you can learn in reserve grade. You are playing against other up and comers or guys who have made it and are in a transition phase in their careers.
Look at Sione Fainu. I remember people on here saying he was deadwood that needed to be cut from our top 30. He persisted in ressies and then it just clicked. We have other players who bounce between the two grades who are getting better as well.
It depends on your mentality. Are you humble enough to work on your own game, practicing what you are learning in NRL against lesser yet still tough opposition, or do you think you are too good because that’s all anyone has ever told you?
This kid isn’t ready. He hasn’t been prepared properly. He is a target and a weakness currently. Use all that, get better and come back in version 2.0, 3.0 or whatever as the player people are predicting you will be.
I agree. I think the speed of the game is slower and there is minimal media attention. It allows him to get his confidence. If he can dominate that grade (and I have no doubt he will) he will be so much more ready for the call-up to NRL. It’s about managing his development for the moment.
 
The kid is as tough as they come. He gets smashed every game and gets up again . Bula can learn a few things from him when he dogged that run back and passed to him. As much as I hated losing last night and you can put a lot of it on Makasini, I don’t think you can drop him. It would mentally Kill him. His upside is enormous he will be a gun for us . Short term pain for long term gain
If injuries permit, I think it's time to give him a rest from the pressure of 1st grade, we shouldn't forget he's still a boy.

We all seen what Reynolds did when the cracks appeared, he hammered him with high balls, our next 2 opponents aren't blind they will continue the bombardment.

Benji has the depth so for the sake of his development it's time to use smart roster management.
 
We might see Bulla rested with a shoulder injury..,Adam D moves to fullback, Jock and Jerome in the half's,Big Mac reserve grade and Tino or Skelton on the wing
 
Yes he should be spelled. His body is saying no to the grind atm. He needs resting. Not dropping.

And when he does come back NSW cup is fine. There are better players than Masi running around that grade right now. Kayal Iro played like 3 years of NSW cup before he debuted.

And once he shows he is firing and running through contact again he goes into selection concerns.
 
The kid is as tough as they come. He gets smashed every game and gets up again . Bula can learn a few things from him when he dogged that run back and passed to him. As much as I hated losing last night and you can put a lot of it on Makasini, I don’t think you can drop him. It would mentally Kill him. His upside is enormous he will be a gun for us . Short term pain for long term gain
If it will mentally kill him to drop him the guy is weak as piss that shouldnt be in firsts to begin with. He is a kid now playing with adults that needs to go through some pain and hard learning curves and prepare for a 15 year first grade career. If he is gonna sook about it, you wouldnt want that character anywhere near your team. He needs to be blooded correctly. Be a Matt Hayden, a Damien Martyn. Play a few and go back and learn your craft and come back to be a legend. The kid needs more time to develop and the last thing you want to do is Matt Groat the bloke. Show some strength, take the hits, take the hard punches get off your ass and get on with life, come back bigger and better. Its a long time to spend the rest of your life being a concreter or option B, dedicate yourself and play grade for 15 years with those $millions contracts.
 
The kid is as tough as they come. He gets smashed every game and gets up again . Bula can learn a few things from him when he dogged that run back and passed to him. As much as I hated losing last night and you can put a lot of it on Makasini, I don’t think you can drop him. It would mentally Kill him. His upside is enormous he will be a gun for us . Short term pain for long term gain
Bula dogged a pass? It was a sitter for makasini? What planet are some of you on?
 
This is part of sport. Sometimes a young kid will have a shocker. It either breaks them or they learn and grow from it.

I remember being 18 years old, having just left high school and started playing cricket with adults, I dropped a bunch of catches in one of my first games and lost the game for my team. I felt like crap, had a sulk, then I was motivated to improve my fielding.

Last night looked like a kid who got overwhelmed by the situation and forgot his basics, like watching the ball into your hands, setting your feet under the high ball, being aware of the sideline, etc. I back him to come good, but he needs a week or two off to relax and emotionally recover.
 
The kid is as tough as they come. He gets smashed every game and gets up again . Bula can learn a few things from him when he dogged that run back and passed to him. As much as I hated losing last night and you can put a lot of it on Makasini, I don’t think you can drop him. It would mentally Kill him. His upside is enormous he will be a gun for us . Short term pain for long term gain

Bula was carrying a shoulder injury, he absolutely should have passed it for Maka to take the run. Bula stuffed up by not passing it sooner, he looked like he was gonna run it then all of a sudden passed it. I was yelling, "pass it mate, protect your shoulder"...then bang...game over haha, so blame me for the loss I reckon
 
Bula was carrying a shoulder injury, he absolutely should have passed it for Maka to take the run. Bula stuffed up by not passing it sooner, he looked like he was gonna run it then all of a sudden passed it. I was yelling, "pass it mate, protect your shoulder"...then bang...game over haha, so blame me for the loss I reckon
That was brave, few on here are are looking for someone to point the finger at, next time keep quiet lol.
 
Recall Justin Hodges, Darius Boyd and Dylan Edwards having similar shockers as kids. I hope Benji gives him an opportunity to atone for that one.
He actually looks a bit like Suaali'i who had some similar teething problems coming into grade. They both dont dog the hard stuff but they run so upright making themselves big targets, probably a product of just being able to run over kids their age.

He should go down to Cup with with some really clear goals set for him by Benji on both sides of the ball. I think Benji being Benji will keep backing him in though
 

Latest posts

Back
Top