Humphreys proposes Sunday night Origin matches

G

Humphreys proposes Sunday night Origin matches
June 28, 2010

WESTS TIGERS chief executive Stephen Humphreys has continued to put forward a bold vision for the future of rugby league, suggesting the NRL competition be split in two, sandwiching a State of Origin period over three consecutive weekends.

Humphreys, proving to be one of the most proactive club bosses in the game, also believes the Test between Australia and New Zealand in May, as well as the annual City-Country, should be scrapped as he looks to lessen the workload on the competition's players should his proposal for a 30-round home-and-away competition be endorsed by the other clubs.

But it is his vision for the Origin series that is perhaps the most dramatic of his grand blueprint for the game. Humphreys's plan involved the home-and-away portion of the competition being split into two 15-round lots. Round 15 would be played over Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon, with the opening State of Origin being played on that Sunday night.

The Sunday NRL matches would be held in cities other than that which is hosting Origin. ''It would be a weekend of football culminating in Origin on Sunday night,'' Humphreys said.

The next two Origins would then be staged over the following two weekends, with the rest of the NRL being suspended.

His proposal would mean Origin players would only be unavailable for their clubs for one round - the weekend of the first Origin - meaning there is less chance of the scenario the game faces next weekend, whereby the competition's top two teams, St George Illawarra and Penrith, will face off with none of their Origin representatives available.

Humphreys believes the separation of the Origin period from the NRL competition would ensure there is no ''lull'' that occurs for the teams and the supporters. ''There are graphs of crowds and ratings over a year, and you can see that this is the period where they drop off,'' Humphreys said. ''It's well-defined - it's the Origin period.''

Glenn Jackson

I somewhat agree with him….as I posted a while ago i'd go further but origin would work a lot better if the boys stayed in camp and played over three consecutive weekends. Good work Humph.

Play it over 2 weeks

Game 1 - Friday
Game 2 - Wednesday
Game 3 - Sunday

A true battle of attrition, State vs State, Mate vs Mate, Last Team Standing!!!

Whilst that would be interesting Watto, there's not a single player who would agree to that schedule lol.

Thats another problem with our game…. Too many Athletes and not enough Footballers.

I've never know a Footballer who wouldnt be up for 3 games in 2 weeks...

Get rid of the Interchange and go back to 4 Reserves. That will squeeze out these pussy Athletes!!!

I disagree with Mr Humphreys. I would like to see the State of Origin matches on a Saturday night and no NRL matches that weekend. That way alot more people from NSW could actually go to the game in QLD and vice versa. Also they shouldn't have State of Origin 3 weeks in a row because if a State of Origin player gets an injury just before the State of Origin period and is out for a month then he would miss all 3 Origins. If the Origins are split up a bit like they are now then that State of Origin player would be fit for the last State of Origin match and maybe the second State of Origin match. Also if the State of Origin matches are on the Saturday night and no NRL matches are played that weekend then no State of Origin players would miss club matches.

They should probably scrap the City V Country match and the May Test match. Save the Test matches for after the NRL Finals.

there definitely needs to be a change and having no nrl matches when origin is on is the first. I am conflicted in wanting tigers to be selected for origin but i don't want to lose them for the nrl match.

Im a fan of this idea. Look at this week for example. The top 2 teams go head to head on Monday night with the Dragons V Penrith. This SHOULD be a cracker of a game, yet half of both teams are missing …

Dragons will be without Boyd, Morris, Scott, Costigan and Weyman (wouldve been selected if not charged)

Penrith wont have Jennings, Gordon, Civoniceva and Lewis

To me, this thoroughly detracts from what would've been one of the matches of the year.

@willow said:
The Sunday NRL matches would be held in cities other than that which is hosting Origin. ''It would be a weekend of football culminating in Origin on Sunday night,'' Humphreys said.

Why would you force NRL clubs to play away from home? How is that fair or good for the fans of those clubs?

@alex said:
Im a fan of this idea. Look at this week for example. The top 2 teams go head to head on Monday night with the Dragons V Penrith. This SHOULD be a cracker of a game, yet half of both teams are missing …

Dragons will be without Boyd, Morris, Scott, Costigan and Weyman (wouldve been selected if not charged)

To me, this thoroughly detracts from what would've been one of the matches of the year.

Exactly, but what if a big match up like that was on the same weekend as the State of Origin. Those players wouldn't be able to play for their clubs. That's why I think the State of Origin matches should be a Saturday night and no NRL matches that weekend. Also when we have State of Origin matches on Wednesday nights you normally see a drop of attendances the weekend after. I don't think that would happen if the State of Origin matches are on a Saturday night with no NRL matches that weekend.

@alien said:
@alex said:

Exactly, but what if a big match up like that was on the same weekend as the State of Origin. Those players wouldn't be able to play for their clubs. That's why I think the State of Origin matches should be a Saturday night and no NRL matches that weekend. Also when we have State of Origin matches on Wednesday nights you normally see a drop of attendances the weekend after. I don't think that would happen if the State of Origin matches are on a Saturday night with no NRL matches that weekend.

No one watches the footy on Saturday nights .. itll never happen

@alex said:
@alien said:
@alex said:

No one watches the footy on Saturday nights .. itll never happen

What about at 5.30pm?

Origin is all about ratings, it shouldn't be moved from the Wednesday night slot. I hate the idea of it on a Sunday night, gives you no footy at all for the rest of the weekend, plus I like the origin build up being a week and a half, not name the team Monday, play Sunday, the weekends with the origin players out provide great opportunities for the next generation of players.

@Marshall_magic said:
Origin is all about ratings, it shouldn't be moved from the Wednesday night slot. I hate the idea of it on a Sunday night, gives you no footy at all for the rest of the weekend, plus I like the origin build up being a week and a half, not name the team Monday, play Sunday, the weekends with the origin players out provide great opportunities for the next generation of players.

bollocks

Back