If players want to earn millions, shouldn’t they be playing like it?

Sabre

**If players want to earn millions, shouldn’t they be playing like it?**
Andrew Webster
>
Who wants to be a rugby league millionaire?
>
Every player coming off contract this season by the sounds of it. If not a million a year, somewhere near it.
>
One mill. One million?! You could buy a one-bedroom renovator's dream in West Ryde for that.
>
The million-dollar hopefuls were everywhere you looked on Sunday afternoon as the Wests Tigers players looked to impress incoming coach Ivan Cleary, who is expected to be announced on Monday as Jason Taylor's replacement.
>
Unfortunately for poor old Tigers fans, the narrative on this afternoon was the same as the last three, stretching back to the heavy loss to Canberra that triggered Taylor's demise.
>
Inspired by captain Gareth Widdop, the Dragons won 28-6\. They're now four-and-one and sit second on the ladder.
>
The fine art of the deal has been a part of the game for decades, dating back to the 1950s, when the legendary St George secretary, Frank Facer, secretly signed players in closed pubs on a Sunday morning.
>
But with uncertainty over the salary cap, with player managers controlling cartels of players at one club as well as coaches, with desperate clubs paying desperate money to secure superstar players who are just honest first-graders, the market has never been so murky.
>
In this match, there were two players wanting more than $1 million a season: Tigers fullback James Tedesco and Dragons counterpart Josh Dugan.
>
Tigers captain and prop Aaron Woods reportedly wants close to $900,000\. There talk is five-eighth Mitchell Moses wants $800,000.
>
Halfback Luke Brooks is sidelined with a hamstring injury and, given his form in the early rounds, being off the field might actually inflate his price.
>
Players are entitled to ask for whatever want. They deserve every cent they can get. They should get every dollar they are worth.
>
And clubs can recklessly pay whatever they want, provided they fit under the salary cap and don't throw in a secret speedboat on the side.
>
But the market is severely askew when players start asking for telephone-number contracts when they're not worth it.
>
The Wests Tigers and Dragons need to start asking who's worth it. Every club does.
>
Tedesco is probably worth the $1.2 million he's after, even if he's yet to play 100 first-grade matches and just one Origin for NSW. For the Tigers, he's probably worth that.
>
But if Tedesco is worth more than a million – if incoming Dragons halfback Ben Hunt is going to get a million – Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston are five-bedroom houses in Vaucluse with an infinity pool and tennis court and home cinema.
>
Club chief executives will complain the headline-hungry media are as much to blame for the inflated player market as anyone, printing rumoured contract amounts before, during and after deals are done.
>
To that end, the Dragons are quite bemused at reports they are pursuing Tedesco. A conversation does not necessarily mean they're in the race.
>
But you'd like to think a million-dollar player plays like a million-dollar player, regardless of the white noise. A million dollar player wins the game.
>
On his day, Dugan can be a mesmerising attacking player but is he worth $1.1 million?
>
At one stage, his management wanted $5.5 million over five years. Dugan wants to play fullback but the Dragons see him as a centre. There's a three-year offer on the table that will see him earning $800,000 in the final year.
>
In the first half, he scooted down a short side on the left. He had two men outside him, including winger Jason Nightingale, who had already scored two tries.
>
Instead, Dugan put in a grubber kick that was easily covered. Momentum lost …
>
Consider the performance of Moses, who showed promise down the stretch of last season and had some – this column included – wanting him considered for Origin selection.
>
Early in the match, he allowed Widdop to get outside him to throw a cut-out pass to Nightingale. He then went high and missed the covering tackle. Nightingale shrugged him off and found the line.
>
Later in the half, the Tigers shifted the momentum off the back of a strong defensive set and a penalty and then a signature bustling run from winger David Nofoaluma.
>
Then the ball found Moses. He was caught with the ball, pushed a miracle flick pass to Tedesco that was never on. The play broke down. Momentum lost …
>
The player who doesn't seem to be playing out any messy contract negotiations is Widdop. He's off contract, too. Against the Tigers, he played like a million-dollar man.
>
He put in a kick that bent at right angles to find Nightingale for one of his tries. Then he ripped out a 20-metre left-to-right spiral pass that found the veteran winger's chest for another. How many young halves can even throw one these days?
>
In the second half, Widdop's inch-perfect grubber behind the line found Tim Lafai. That try extended the Dragons' lead to 20-6 and the game was over.
>
There is a looming storm on the horizon.
>
NRL clubs have been working off the premise of a $10 million salary cap for next season. Late last week, the NRL offered a cap of $8.84 million. It angered many officials and the players' association.
>
I'm predicting the promise of a "strike" within days. I'm also predicting it's going to be much, much harder to become rugby league's next millionaire.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/wests-tigers/if-players-want-to-earn-millions-shouldnt-they-be-playing-like-it-20170402-gvbzjp.html

Wish this had come from thr other Andrew Webster. Certainly would have more affect.

Kids are different these days. 90% of them. It's all what can you do for me. Our culture stinks of that.

Only a few coaches seem to know how to get the best of them.

If either of our halves want a similar amount to Widdop, I know who I would be making the offer to.

If our halves are asking for that kind of money I'd be saying thanks but we don't have a position for you here

Teddy, Moses and Woods want to be winners and a huge salary but how are we sposed to build a team under the cap that is competative. Seriously if winning is so important to those 3 they should take pay cuts so we can have a winning team.

You wouldnt have even considered Widdop last year he was woeful as was DCE.
Now both behind much improved packs - like different players. Every half thats worth his pinch of salt will tell you - you cant perform behind a beaten pack - yet our pack gets dominated in most games and we expect our halves to shine
They may certainly not be worth the dollars they are reportedly asking but until we strengthen our pack it is very difficult to measure what they are worth.

And Telltales how do we strengthen that pack with both halves on 800K ?!?!

@ said:
Now both behind much improved packs - like different players. Every half thats worth his pinch of salt will tell you - you cant perform behind a beaten pack - yet our pack gets dominated in most games and we expect our halves to shine
They may certainly not be worth the dollars they are reportedly asking but until we strengthen our pack it is very difficult to measure what they are worth.

Some of us are past expecting them to shine. I'd be satisfied if they just had some decent games. And yes, I'd now definetly rather that we kept Brooks,-and offered Widdop some of what Moses wants,

Wow. 1.2m for tedesco? He is great but really???
Woods wants 900k. Bye bye.
Moses 800k? Bye bye.

I'd cut them loose so they can go their separate ways. Don't bow down to that dirty dealing manager.

@ said:
And Telltales how do we strengthen that pack with both halves on 800K ?!?!

Im not suggesting we pay 800 for either - but who would you get to replace them and what would you expect to pay to get them here?
Who are the halves available and what is the chances of us securing them in our current state?
I think we have to persist with one of them.

I think we will be a significantly better team if they all go. They are overpaid now and I think they honestly expect pay rises.

Dugan in his last year earning $800k compared to Tedesco wanting $1.2 million.

The other guys aren't even worth mentioning because they are so far off the mark.

We should never again bank on our juniors to be players to lead this club. Our juniors want overs and it's not worth it.

@ said:
I think we will be a significantly better team if they all go. They are overpaid now and I think they honestly expect pay rises.

Dugan in his last year earning $800k compared to Tedesco wanting $1.2 million.

The other guys aren't even worth mentioning because they are so far off the mark.

We should never again bank on our juniors to be players to lead this club. Our juniors want overs and it's not worth it.

All should be shown the door and from 2018 the tigers take a tough stance. Play for the Jersey or GET OUT. We have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. We are already at rock bottom with the so called big 4 playing for us. Why would we want them to play next year when they can't win now??? Is this bizzaro world. Are they allowed to do nothing this year in the hope of doing something next year?? What value have they proven this year? Zilch. Get rid of them all. No player should hold the club to ransom like these 4 are. Clearly they don't care at all about the club or they would have signed by now, they only see the dollars so they can be shown the door and the tigers make a fresh start come 2018\. They've been rebuilding for near on a playing generation now since 2012 so another year ain't gonna matter. Clear them all out.

I think the cubs of 2002/2003 did absolute wonders for the tigers, the greatest generation we've ever produced. They did wonders for the club but also became the clubs greatest hindrance. So many great young players Fulton, Farah, Gibbs, Kapow, Rhino, Collis throw in Benji and laffranchi etc and they won us a premiership and most of those players got us to the finals in 2010 and 11\. The club has always been about the juniors and invested squillions into the youngsters, well besides teddy, it's produced a generation of nothing since farahs cubs. Time to get rid of them and invest in the player market.

@ said:

The pack was fine today (and last week), and our halves were putrid.

Noffzilla deserves every penny he gets. I hope we can hold onto him at least. Didn't he play fullback in the younger grades?

Widdop is on $750k right now and I would say he'd want an upgrade. We'd be looking at $850k-$900k for him I reckon.

Mead and Gagai are also off contract. Might be worth getting those guys cheaper and bulking up the pack instead of spending big on Tedesco.

Would be a shame if any of them went, but we need to be competitive next year if it all falls through.

Anyone wanting to let Tedesco go is crazy, the guy tried his heart out yesterday

Bulk up the forward pack, get two new centres, keep Moses and get rid of Brooks, Woods needs help in the forwards.

@ said:
@ said:

The pack was fine today (and last week), and our halves were putrid.

Our pack is always fine but never for eighty minutes. Poor old Chris Lawrence gets smashed every week. Our back row is largely ineffective when we are in the attacking zone, and our defence around the ruck is continually exposed, as it is in our own twenty.Our interchange off the bench has very little impact and regularly sees us go backwards.
We match teams for about 30 mins and then it all goes pear shaped.Teams roll over us every week and have no trouble making easy metres up the field to get out of trouble - and they know it.
Our halves have certaunly been poor but our team as a whole cant match their opposition and now its becoming as much a confidence problem as anything else.

If I'm Tedesco, I'm doing exactly what he's doing. I'd be taking a pay cut / take less than $1m playing for a club with a winning culture. He knows he good and if you want me to play for who will be a perpetual wooden spoon team, then you can pay to keep me here.

I don't begrudge him for that. You don't play rugby league into your 60's; so make he most of your 10 years by winning a premiership or taking the cash.

@ said:

Finally someone with some sense.

Well said - totally agree.

Let's invest in an aggressive monster pack and start smashing teams. I would care if we lost every game as long as we hurt a few players on the opposing team. What I would give for a pack of 5 x Gareth ellis would do.

Back