I'm yet to see our attack at its best

citizen_cub

Sure, I'm definitely enjoying the fact that we're grinding out wins, (instead of relying on our attack like we have in previous seasons) but I'd still like to see us score more points than we have been.

Missing Timmy Moltzen has certainly affected our attacking structure, but with the likes of Lui and Marshall in our backline I can't see why we can't seem to score over 20 points.

We've definitely got the artillery to score some points and wrap up big totals, I'm just yet to see it.

Execution has also been a problem as well. We had about 5 golden opportunities to score against Canberra (at Leichhardt), couldn't convert any of them to points. Dropped ball, foward passes and bad kicks being the killers.

Because of this bad execution, we've had to rely on big plays in the last 10 minutes to get us home.

Hopefully towards the end of the season we see more of the attacking flair we've become known for.

What are your thoughts and how do you think the problem can be rectified?

A steady halfback would make a big difference to the Tigers attack. Unfortunately with Moltzen gone for the year and Lui spending a fair bit of time on the sidelines, it has created big problems with the Tigers cohesion in attack as Benji has had to play too close to the ruck rather than lurking wider where he is more of a threat.

Solution? Personally if Lui is out, Sheens should promote Darren Nichols. He is in excellent form for Balmain, he passes well, is kicking well and also defends well. He would be more of an asset at 7 than Benji, and defensively he is stronger than Lazarus. That's the way I'd go but I doubt Sheens will see things this way after publicly saying he has no other options left in the halves.

@willow said:
A steady halfback would make a big difference to the Tigers attack. Unfortunately with Moltzen gone for the year and Lui spending a fair bit of time on the sidelines, it has created big problems with the Tigers cohesion in attack as Benji has had to play too close to the ruck rather than lurking wider where he is more of a threat.

Solution? Personally if Lui is out, Sheens should promote Darren Nichols. He is in excellent form for Balmain, he passes well, is kicking well and also defends well. He would be more of an asset at 7 than Benji, and defensively he is stronger than Lazarus. That's the way I'd go but I doubt Sheens will see things this way after publicly saying he has no other options left in the halves.

Even with Lui in the team, point scoring has still been an issue.

Lui has stepped up and done his best, but hasn't been as influential on the result as Moltzen.

With Moltzen at halfback fulltime, we are a huge chance of winning a premiership.

@MacDougall said:
Did you sleep through the Warriors game?

Did you sleep through the second roosters game, souths game, newcastle game, second bulldogs game, second canberra game and the brisbane game?

Lui is going to be inconsistant. He is still young. Moltzen and Tuiaki out for the year hasn't helped.

@citizen cub said:
@MacDougall said:
Did you sleep through the Warriors game?

Did you sleep through the second roosters game, souths game, newcastle game, second bulldogs game, second canberra game and the brisbane game?

No. You said you haven't seen our attack at it's best. It clearly was during the Warriors game. Your counterpoint is entirely irrelevant. My point wasn't that we were good in those games was it?

Sure our attack was lame in those games you mentioned. Your thread title isn't "I've seen our attack at it's best once" though. Semantics I suppose.

When melt Down Sheens just promotes a 7 and stop playing your guns out of position we will look OK words fail me on this one .

i still cant figure out why after playing football for at least 10 years each farah or marshall cant put up a good attacking bomb…. it really is a mystery worthy of scooby doo and the gang

Tonight, Preston Campbell looked like he had a problem with the high ball from the first few minutes, yet we hardly could get to our fifth tackle kick and when we did Benji would put in a half baked chip bomb down the throat of a defender. Its not good enough we had enough calls and balls to win by thirty

He did a couple of really nice spiral bombs. But then we decide to go away from that tactic with pathetic grubbers and dinky across field chips. The Coast had nothing under the high ball and we should of kept bombarding them.

@ron burgandy said:
i still cant figure out why after playing football for at least 10 years each farah or marshall cant put up a good attacking bomb…. it really is a mystery worthy of scooby doo and the gang

They put up some ripper torpedos tonight. we need more of them. i think we are the team that uses the bomb the least out of the whole comp. panthers rely on it and look at how many tries result from bombs and cross-field kicks. we need to bomb more.

yeah we're struggling in attack with our halfbacks getting injured, I haven't seen anything like that before…...how many teams have lost 1 halfback for the year and their other has been sidelined for a fair amount of time?

I expect when Lui is back things will settle down a bit, but I expect we won't click for a couple of games until Lui finds his feet again.

Seems to me we are retting home on the back of our defence. Attacking combinations just arnt as fluid as they should be at the moment. I'm sure things will start to click for us shortly. When this happens we will run up some scores. Untill that time its real nice to see the boys showing up for each other and having a real dig in defence.

Moltzen at Half -23,35, 23
Lui at Half - 26, 32 , 10, 23, 50, 19, 18,
Lazarus - 4, 18
Farah - 8,
Marshall - 10 ,16, 15

So when we have one of our 2 leading halfbacks on the field we do well - What a surprise people should be praising us for the fact that with 2 halfbacks out we are still managing to win games. How many other teams in this comp could you have 2 halfbacks injured for 6 games and be third after 18 rounds . The tigers have been amazing and the return of Lui (who is our number 2 halfback but fantastic young player and still in his first season so of course he isnt going to be consistent even without injuries) will bring a much improved structure to our team and the wins we managed with no half have shown us to be real premiership contenders

Back