Its Almost Over

If I was Madge I'd pull the pin otherwise I couldn't get a gig anywhere and I could see his face in the box today, it was the face of a man defeated.

Reactions: BZN
I'm not easily pleased at all. I'm just showing the argument regarding the board doesn't ring true.

Does anyone seriously think the board are responsible for the on field performance of the team ? Does anyone seriously think the board are responsible for recruitment and retention ? Does anyone really think sacking them will turn the club around ?

The solution isn't as simple as sacking the coach or the board or even Brooks but I think sacking Brooks and getting someone better would help the most.
Have a look at how souths changed 40 years of being a loser club. Ownership and management. Change is needed at the top. Desperately

The coach needs to go. We have an average roster with no stars, but we have players like Tamou, Joe O, Ken,Luci that have played plenty of first grade. We won’t win the comp but with a gameplan, effort and commitment we should be competitive.

The problem is we have none of that. The players look like they don’t care. No dummy half, no kick chase, not diving on loose balls. If the coach can’t get these efforts out he needs to be replaced. There is something very wrong in the team at the moment.

Fndhfhdj
That is how it is going to go. Did everyone see Finucane out there today ? If he was playing for us he would be a dud signing. You don't even notice what he did out there because his team wins easy.
surely this is a gee up. If you can’t see what he does on the field I can’t help you.

surely this is a gee up. If you can’t see what he does on the field I can’t help you.

He dropped it cold on the attack twice. It was extremely poor. I see what he does. He would have been a disaster for us.

Reactions: BZN
He dropped it cold on the attack twice. It was extremely poor. I see what he does. He would have been a disaster for us.
I don’t disagree he would of been a disaster for us. But for the sharks he is outstanding.

I’ll give you an example.
I was watching the sharks vs knights game last week.
Knights were inside the sharks 20 with a fresh set of six.
It was 10-0.
That entire set I watched the speed of the sharks defence, it was so intense. The inside pressure on there ball players was unbelievable. And it was Finucane that was leading the line. Up into the ruck, back to the line, up again, pressure on the shift, back again.
In the closing minutes of the game at 18-0 the Knights had another set on their line.
Line speed and inside pressure was intense again. It was Finucane leading the way.
You didn’t see it this week because we put ourselves under pressure without the sharks or any other opposition needing to force it onto us.

It’s a shambles. Our forwards take an age to get to their feet to play the ball. No speed from backs out of trouble. Hooker can’t hit the side of a barn with a pass. Our 4th tackle plays are slow and we get dominated kickers always under pressure.

The teams not up to scratch but we can’t even do the basics right. They are trying but it’s a shambles.

I’m a Madge fan but this is over. Sheens has to run with the assistant and. See what happens then make decisions on players to see if they respond.

The only players playing are the ones leaving Luciano and Tuilagi have been strong.

If I was Madge I'd pull the pin otherwise I couldn't get a gig anywhere and I could see his face in the box today, it was the face of a man defeated.
I am not a Madge hater but tonight the thing that disappointed me the most was when he said the team was full of kids.
TAMOU
MUSGROVE
KELMA
LUCY
OFFA
BROOKS
NOFA
MAMALO
GILDART
GARNER
MIKAELI
SEYFARTH
PEACHEY
TWAL

Oh Old Man Toa
Oh Old Man Madden
Oh Old Man Liddle!

Yes, I know some will say our spine of Toa Madden Liddle & Brooks lacked synergy. They weren't the kids who failed to show effort - the other 13 players were as weak as a custard tart melting in the sun!

I don’t disagree he would of been a disaster for us. But for the sharks he is outstanding.

I’ll give you an example.
I was watching the sharks vs knights game last week.
Knights were inside the sharks 20 with a fresh set of six.
It was 10-0.
That entire set I watched the speed of the sharks defence, it was so intense. The inside pressure on there ball players was unbelievable. And it was Finucane that was leading the line. Up into the ruck, back to the line, up again, pressure on the shift, back again.
In the closing minutes of the game at 18-0 the Knights had another set on their line.
Line speed and inside pressure was intense again. It was Finucane leading the way.
You didn’t see it this week because we put ourselves under pressure without the sharks or any other opposition needing to force it onto us.
Some fans will never see the effort areas that it takes to win, the things we so desperately lack. The things a finucane brings in spades. You could see enormous effort in him just sprinting onto the field Before kick off.

I am not a Madge hater but tonight the thing that disappointed me the most was when he said the team was full of kids.
TAMOU
MUSGROVE
KELMA
LUCY
OFFA
BROOKS
NOFA
MAMALO
GILDART
GARNER
MIKAELI
SEYFARTH
PEACHEY
TWAL

Oh Old Man Toa
Oh Old Man Madden
Oh Old Man Liddle!
I think he means ordinary players when he says kids

It's a roster issue and we can't exactly replace a full squad this year.
Without even looking at the background and other details (governance, retention/recruitment, salary cap etc.,) but teams like the Knights, Broncos and Dogs received the wooden spoon because they had the youngest rosters in the competition. Aren't we now in this position?

I get what you're saying, assuming we're in Year 1 of a rebuild (with Sheens at the helm), our performance reviews need to consider all factors - including our challenges - to help identify critical roles.
Madge's (and the team's) biggest constraint is the younger players. Frankly without the appropriate leadership (like the clubs previously mentioned) they are ill equipped and don't have the necessary experience to consistently perform at NRL level.
The game keeps evolving and injuries have also had a negative impact on this, so with none or limited growth with the current team, it would be hard to track the progress of the club's succession plan/strategic goals.
But I believe once Stefano, Doueihi and Hastings return we'll make some headway but all in all its another building year.

I'm in it for the long haul and and unfortunately I think we just have to work with what we've got for now. That doesn't mean this won't force change, just that there's not much we (the club) can do right now.
The club needs to stop being so reactive and avoid the pitfalls that have put us in this tailspin, in the first place. I'd like to see the club find solutions suitable to or in accordance with our problems. Korisau and Papali'i are a good start but we need more E.g. Targeting a Latrell Mitchell, Joey Manu, Munster, B Smith or whoever else that is a genuine game changer.

Last edited:

4 years @ 800k per year and he drops the ball twice on the attack cold. He does this regularly too.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to me that is a disaster.

Start by this week
1. Laurie comes back - To'a just doesn't cut it at fullback
3. Gildart - No idea what we do the bloke can't defend. Maybe James Roberts takes his spot
4. Garner stays offers not much attack but can defend
Wingers no idea Ken and Noffo are going like busteds
6. Madden - may aswell keep him at least gets experience
7. Keep him in at halfback
13. Hastings play the ball playing lock type role
9. No idea Liddle can't handle 80 mins - either Peachey at 14 or Simpkin or Rua ? We need to work out who goes end of 2022 Liddle or Simpkin potentially released to dolphins (they are desperate)

Have a look at how souths changed 40 years of being a loser club. Ownership and management. Change is needed at the top. Desperately
problem is wests ashfield won't sell they don't care about winning football games
I fear if we are sold it will be to Perth franchise

It'll be 15 years of failure, the lack of accountability is why were perennially shit.

If we replaced all the staff in the club would that fix things ? Haven't we had a big turnover already ?

I saw a team playing with heart that lacks class. I saw a forward pack that I think has the ability to compete with the top teams. Our outside backs aren't good enough and that is where we lost the game in that Cronulla's outside backs are big and fast and we don't have those quality players. Matulino is like 10 times the player Nofo is.

I still think our spine is the worst in the comp. Our halves are inconsistent with their kicking and running games. Our hooker drops the ball cold and can't provide us with 20 quality minutes. Our fullback was improved on the last few weeks but he appears to be an outside back and not a fullback.

I don't see any easy solutions.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back