It's annoying when commentators refer to players in plural

TigersFan4Life

As in, Laurie Daley saying "like the Slaters and Cronks and Inglis's and Smiths". What the hell? There's only one of each of them, you freak! Drives me nuts.

It is a common english turn of phrase denoting a similie.

I.E. "…the Tony Abbotts of this world..."

I hate Daley but that is an ordinary complaint.

@redemption said:

I understand that but it's not like there's a bunch of players who are of the same talent as those Storm boys.

He couldn't pick a place out of a three horse field. I always watch mute the commentary when he opens his trap because I always come away feeling more stupid for listening to him.

Geez CB….you don't know what your missing...

Who'll ever forget....'It's a game of two halves'...or 'Whoever scores the most points will win".....

@Cultured Bogan said:
He couldn't pick a place out of a three horse field. I always watch mute the commentary when he opens his trap because I always come away feeling more stupid for listening to him.

probably win one by a country mile with that snoz he has

@Geo. said:
Geez CB….you don't know what your missing...

Who'll ever forget....'It's a game of two halves'...or 'Whoever scores the most points will win".....

Thats exactly what I'm talking about… My mrs said after the Dragons loss the other night "Well, the team that defends poorly will lose the game..." I replied with a "thanks Lozza."

Thats tantamount to his credentials as a commentator, my gal could do just as good a job as him!

How about Greg Alexander?? Now there's a goose…or the close talker Warren Smith!!! He swings between the two people he's talking to like a twig in a breeze!!!
Having said that despite his gibbering I enjoy listening to Fittler do sideline. The way he went beserk during the Riff game last week was a hoot.

Lozza taught me you have to use the football. Thank god he did tell me, I thought the players would use their socks instead.

@redemption said:

Fair enough, but when you list half the team as plurals, I think it loses some of its impact…

Back