Ivan Cleary - THREAD..

@ said:
Money, resources, happy family and opportunity for his son to forge a long successful career - if Ivan turns that down then that would be the most shocking outcome.
Ruthless act by Gus in more ways than one.
New board new coach please.

Oh absolutely, Go and Pascoe absolutely have to get the hell out right away if this transpires.

@ said:
@ said:
Its not starting to look good. My hope is that Ivan is playing this to get his contract here upgraded and extended. Puts our board in a tough spot. I like Ivan, I think he has done great things and we are going in the right direction, probably up there with early days Sheens in terms of best coach we have but it is still early days to be looking to extend him to 4 years.

Why not extend him to 4 years….the recent players poll voted Ivan is the second most respected coach in the NRL...so we are onto a winner with Ivan....who do we get if he leaves?...extend him now and his son will come too...

Oh I would in a heartbeat, but I'm saying from a corporate diligence point of view its hard. Without this pressure there is no way the board would offer Ivan a big $ extension right now without a full season and borderline runs on the board (we havent made the 8).

@ said:
We were in contention for the 8 and he's running around having meetings with Penrith board members.

It's disgusting. No wonder the players turned it up against the Dogs.

This is what’s getting me mad , that performance came from nowhere and pretty much ruined the season .. about the same time he starting talking to the Panthers .. where was your on the bus or not THAT WEEK!

@ said:
Guys.

Calm the heck down.

Gus is after Barrett, not Cleary.

Sees him as a old head on young shoulders who will work within what Gus is trying to put together.

The media are beating this up. Brent Read is desperately trying to stay relevant and get his head back on TV.

Gus is too proud to have Cleary back in the fold, and Cleary is old school enough to stick to his deal with the Tigers.

But didn't Ivan meet the panthers 2 weeks ago ??

@ said:
Penrith Panthers offer long-term deal to Ivan Cleary to leave Wests Tigers
Author Michael Chammas Chief Reporter Timestamp Tue 7 Aug 2018, 10:37 AM

EXCLUSIVE

Penrith have offered a four-year deal to Ivan Cleary that could force the Wests Tigers to search for their fifth coach in eight years.

NRL.com can reveal the Panthers have put forward a deal to Ivan to return to the club next season until at least the end of 2022, a move that would likely trigger a multi-year extension for son Nathan at the Panthers.

Wests Tigers chairwoman Marina Go told NRL.com that if Cleary asked the club for a release he would not be granted one.
\
\
The Wests Tigers have been growing increasingly confident of luring Nathan to the club under Ivan from 2020, however the balance of power has taken a complete turn with the Panthers on the verge of securing a monumental dual coup in reuniting father and son.

Ivan informed the Tigers board on Monday night he had met with a high-ranking Panthers official two weeks ago, believed to be Panthers chairman Dave O'Neill, about the prospect of taking up a deal with Penrith, where he was sacked at the end of 2015.

It's understood O'Neill has a very close relationship with Ivan from their time together at the Panthers and has been instrumental in orchestrating the move to lure him back.

The news caught the Tigers off-guard and has cast a huge cloud over whether he will see out the final two years of his deal despite Go reiterating the club’s desire for Ivan to remain at the helm until at least 2020.

"It is my view that Ivan will be with the Wests Tigers as head coach for at least another two years as he has a contract with us," Go told NRL.com on Monday night.

The tug-of-war over the Cleary family could result in Ivan asking for a release from the final two years of his deal with the Tigers in the next 48 hours.
\
\
Ivan’s potential return would also result in Phil Gould, who told Ivan his services would no longer be required three years ago, taking on lighter duties with the club’s football operations and return to overseeing the club’s program.

It’s believed Gould only took a more hands-on approach in 2018 because of the concerns over the way Griffin was running things.

"The Ivan decision I made was in his best interest and my best interest," Gould said on Tuesday morning.

"I believed I was right at the time and that’s why the decision was made."

Truly Heart Breaking,

@ said:
@ said:
Guys.

Calm the heck down.

Sees him as a old head on young shoulders who will work within what Gus is trying to put together.

The media are beating this up. Brent Read is desperately trying to stay relevant and get his head back on TV.

Gus is too proud to have Cleary back in the fold, and Cleary is old school enough to stick to his deal with the Tigers.

But didn't Ivan meet the panthers 2 weeks ago ??

I'll say he did out of respect for a previous colleague.

I have coffee with competitors all the time and they informally always tell me "Hey Underdog, the door is always open" and I say likewise.

We all know what we would be offered when we catch up - doesn't meen we jump across the table and say "SIGN ME UP!" -so of course Cleary knows what WOULD be on the table.

Relax.

Either way we need to hear from Ivan and the tigers today. Did he have the meeting with the panthers the night before the bulldogs game? Or is it just a media beat up?

The fact that Ivan is not coming out to address this issue as soon as possible is still painting a pretty bleak picture from the supporters point of view.

@ said:
The fact that Ivan is not coming out to address this issue as soon as possible is still painting a pretty bleak picture from the supporters point of view.

Nothing from Pascoe either. Maybe he's holidaying in Hawaii again.

@ said:

Or hes probably busy preparing his players for the Canberra game

@ said:

He is not going to and he would be crazy if he does. I will be shattered if he leaves like this, but every man does have his price. What if he is on say $400K here and he is offered $ 1.2M pa for 4 years? To be honest it would be not right for his family to say no.

This is a bad situation for everyone except Penrith.

@ said:
@ said:

He is not going to and he would be crazy if he does. I will be shattered if he leaves like this, but every man does have his price. What if he is on say $400K here and he is offered $ 1.2M pa for 4 years? To be honest it would be not right for his family to say no.

This is a bad situation for everyone except Penrith.

Easy solution…... counter the offer

Ivan will stay
If he were to leave he would loose all credibility
Ivan is known as a mister nice guy in the NRL
That will all change if he pulls the pin on us
He has signed a number of aging players to long term deals here and he has a job to do with them
Finish what you started Ivan
Bring Nathan to us
And Gus
Well we all know what Gus can go and do

If I were on the board, I would make him see out his contract. If he's not available to coach Panthers, Gus will be up the proverbial creek.

@ said:
Guys.

Calm the heck down.

But, but!

(thank you, the first rational post today!)

@ said:
If I were on the board, I would make him see out his contract. If he's not available to coach Panthers, Gus will be up the proverbial creek.

Gus worked out Griffin , and when he mentioned about Griffin's bed manner it described him to a tee

Lot of coaches better than Griffin out there

Latest posts

Back