OFFICIAL Jersey Flegg Cup

Where did I say I expect them to be game changers? I'm expecting the bare [This word has been automatically removed]ing minimum. Effort!

Your second paragraph is ridiculous logic. It's not what I can do. It's what they need to do in Flegg, then the step up in NSW Cup, then the step up again in NRL. The sample size might be small, but he has failed in all three Flegg games I've watched so far. Like I wrote, the bad habits were on display from the kick-off.

If he, and all the other players that are name-dropped in the development forum can't consistently show it (or show it at all) in lower grades, what says they can in reserve grade or NRL when the pressure is really on? He's got some skill, but so did hundreds and thousands of other players that never made it before him. Faagatu is the only one of those three mentioned who is NRL development so he should be leading from the front with effort and discipline in basic defensive process at Flegg level, but he is consistently the one letting it down in the games I've seen. In no way is he ready for reserve grade, just as the rest of the kids in reserve grade with Magpies aren't ready for reserve grade.

Looks like the recruiters have also been dazzled by a little sleight of hand and some run with the pill under the arm, but totally ignore defensive and transition efforts.
I don’t like being critical of any young players as it can always bite you in the backside as sometimes it is just the flick of a mental switch to see them become much improved players very quickly.
However I agree with you as I am also yet the see Faagatu have a standout game and o think it’s a similar story with Kit.
I agree that these types of players we seem to keep selecting have very poor defensive work ethic and currently not enough attacking impact to turn a blind eye to their defensive weaknesses.
We talk about our extremely poor line speed and lack of aggression defensively at NRL level, yet do nothing to fix it or select players who demonstrate it in our feeder teams.

Where did I say I expect them to be game changers? I'm expecting the bare [This word has been automatically removed]ing minimum. Effort!

Your second paragraph is ridiculous logic. It's not what I can do. It's what they need to do in Flegg, then the step up in NSW Cup, then the step up again in NRL. The sample size might be small, but he has failed in all three Flegg games I've watched so far. Like I wrote, the bad habits were on display from the kick-off.

If he, and all the other players that are name-dropped in the development forum can't consistently show it (or show it at all) in lower grades, what says they can in reserve grade or NRL when the pressure is really on? He's got some skill, but so did hundreds and thousands of other players that never made it before him. Faagatu is the only one of those three mentioned who is NRL development so he should be leading from the front with effort and discipline in basic defensive process at Flegg level, but he is consistently the one letting it down in the games I've seen. In no way is he ready for reserve grade, just as the rest of the kids in reserve grade with Magpies aren't ready for reserve grade.

Looks like the recruiters have also been dazzled by a little slight of hand and some run with the pill under the arm, but totally ignore defensive and transition efforts.
I don't think the logic is ridiculous tbh. We as fans are more than happy to be critical of these young kids because we want them to succeed but if we were in the position they're in could we do the same? No? Yes? Maybe?

If our middles were lazy or have a lazy work ethic as you say then why don't these teams score through our middle channel? I'm yet to see that happen this year because it hasn't happened. All of the tries have come on the edges because our middles have stopped other teams middle attack. So doesn't that say something to the so called laziness that our props have?

The recruiters were dazzled by this kid because of what he did in QLD and the accolades that came with him. He's also played against men when he debuted in QCup where he had the 2nd most metres off the bench of any player on the park.

I don't think the logic is ridiculous tbh. We as fans are more than happy to be critical of these young kids because we want them to succeed but if we were in the position they're in could we do the same? No? Yes? Maybe?

If our middles were lazy or have a lazy work ethic as you say then why don't these teams score through our middle channel? I'm yet to see that happen this year because it hasn't happened. All of the tries have come on the edges because our middles have stopped other teams middle attack. So doesn't that say something to the so called laziness that our props have?

The recruiters were dazzled by this kid because of what he did in QLD and the accolades that came with him. He's also played against men when he debuted in QCup where he had the 2nd most metres off the bench of any player on the park.
No doubt he has talent, but he just doesn’t look like someone who has worked hard to take his game to another level while he’s been with us,
He will likely have to play NSW Cup before too long as our middles there are diabolical.

• Sad
Reactions: BZN
I don’t like being critical of any young players as it can always bite you in the backside as sometimes it is just the flick of a mental switch to see them become much improved players very quickly.
However I agree with you as I am also yet the see Faagatu have a standout game and o think it’s a similar story with Kit.
I agree that these types of players we seem to keep selecting have very poor defensive work ethic and currently not enough attacking impact to turn a blind eye to their defensive weaknesses.
We talk about our extremely poor line speed and lack of aggression defensively at NRL level, yet do nothing to fix it or select players who demonstrate it in our feeder teams.
Concur. Looking Lasseter's gold, but come up with a few small nuggets.
Not impressed with our talent scouts or talent identifiers.
We spend OVERS for NRL players.
We need better talent spotters for the best young players and spend OVERS on them, which is still way less than overs for middle of the road NRL players.
I hope Rico and Benji can sort this out and put us back on track for a better recruitment program?

Seriously, I've been seeing this guy Faagatu's name repeatedly here on these forums as the future saviour of the club. I've watched three games with him in Flegg now, and at the moment he is a myth! On Saturday, he gave away two ill-disciplined penalties, barely had any impact running the ball, and seems to pick and choose when he'll put in some effort in defence such as getting back onside, line speed, kick pressure, or kick chase. No different to the two games I saw last year.

Aho was #8? Easily the most damaging forward in that Flegg side on the weekend. Lots of post-contact metres. Got through lots of tackles too for a big fella. However like Faagatu, has lazy retreat speed, lazy kick pressure and chase. If your two starting props are lazy in these areas, then it's not a surprise getting pumped by a well-drilled opposition who's props make the effort like Canberra's on the weekend.

Herman barely had any game time, so I don't know how you can deduce he will move up to Cup at this stage. I agree he can be a damaging ball runner from what I saw in two games last year, but I assume like the other two above but worse, he only likes to play on one-side of the ball if the coach isn't putting him on before half time. If that's the case, it's a shame he gets the short end of the stick because it seems the whole club in all senior grades has a similar attitude to defence.

IMO, these issues aren't a fitness thing. It's happening from the Kick Off. It's an attitude thing. And for that reason, none of them would progress to first grade at any other NRL club.
I don't understand how anyone, but particularly a young person, can be selected to play for Balmain, Wests Magpies or Wests Tigers, and not play their backside off knowing there is a chance they can play for Wests Tigers in the N.R.L.

I don't understand how anyone, but particularly a young person, can be selected to play for Balmain, Wests Magpies or Wests Tigers, and not play their backside off knowing there is a chance they can play for Wests Tigers in the N.R.L.
They are trying of cause, but they just don't have the athleticisms, speed, height, size, fitness, smarts or whatever is required for whatever position they are playing in. And where we are lacking in local talent we need to poach.
We are next door to Parra, Penrith areas plus Campbelltown, Inner West to recruit or poach from. Our recruiters, scouts don't even have to travel very far. But look beyond nuggets that impress against still growing kids.

They are trying of cause, but they just don't have the athleticisms, speed, height, size, fitness, smarts or whatever is required for whatever position they are playing in. And where we are lacking in local talent we need to poach.
We are next door to Parra, Penrith areas plus Campbelltown, Inner West to recruit or poach from. Our recruiters, scouts don't even have to travel very far. But look beyond nuggets that impress against still growing kids.
Wow!!! I thought it may just be a matter of giving some of them a kick up the backside and tell em to pull their fingers out. But it seems unfortunately not, they just don't have the talent to make it to the next level :(.

I guess we'll find out soon enough with these juniors because our KOE side need all the help they can get

Mate, if you don't understand how important a middle forward is at creating inside pressure from marker, setting line-speed from A, and it's impact on the edge, then I think we're done. Defence is a process, not just man-marking. Everyone has a role.
You still didn't answer how our so called lazy middles still manage to have no tries or line breaks made through that middle channel this year? You're out here trying to be technical about defense but can't answer a simple question?

I've watched the passed two Flegg games this year and I'm still yet to see our middle channel get carved up. Our opposition cannot bust through the wall that is mainly Faagutu, Aho, Tofaeono (when he's played), Clarke, Nicholas & Hodges with all of them except Hodges being middle forwards?

You still didn't answer how our so called lazy middles still manage to have no tries or line breaks made through that middle channel this year? You're out here trying to be technical about defense but can't answer a simple question?

I've watched the passed two Flegg games this year and I'm still yet to see our middle channel get carved up. Our opposition cannot bust through the wall that is mainly Faagutu, Aho, Tofaeono (when he's played), Clarke, Nicholas & Hodges with all of them except Hodges being middle forwards?
I wasn’t at the game against the Raiders, but the highlights show two tries conceded from close range near the middle and all the others thorough out right edge which didn’t look like they were doing much defending.
Scarily similar to our NRL side.

Jersey Flegg Cup - Round 3 vs. Sharks

Sunday, March 24 - 12:00 p.m. AEDT
Lidcombe Oval, Sydney

WESTS TIGERS

1. Joseph Jaber
2. Tutonu Junior Wright
3. Brenden Naicori
4. Fangavalu Hammond
5. William Malloy
6. Kobie Wilson (c)
7. Naati Teaupa
8. Zakauri Clarke
9. Bailey Hodges
10. Chris Faagutu
11. Lachlan Broederlow
12. Brandon Tumeth
13. Cayne Nicholas

14. Ofele Lene
15. Thomas Fisher
16. Herman Tofaeono
17. Tristyn Ball
Coach: Leon Latulipe

INS: Joseph Jaber, Fangavalu Hammond, Tristyn Ball

OUTS: Marc Tannous (SG Ball), Matthew Curl, Vaka Aho

Jersey Flegg Cup - Round 3 vs. Sharks

Sunday, March 24 - 12:00 p.m. AEDT
Lidcombe Oval, Sydney

WESTS TIGERS

1. Joseph Jaber
2. Tutonu Junior Wright
3. Brenden Naicori
4. Fangavalu Hammond
5. William Malloy
6. Kobie Wilson (c)
7. Naati Teaupa
8. Zakauri Clarke
9. Bailey Hodges
10. Chris Faagutu
11. Lachlan Broederlow
12. Brandon Tumeth
13. Cayne Nicholas

14. Ofele Lene
15. Thomas Fisher
16. Herman Tofaeono
17. Tristyn Ball
Coach: Leon Latulipe

INS: Joseph Jaber, Fangavalu Hammond, Tristyn Ball

OUTS: Marc Tannous (SG Ball), Matthew Curl, Vaka Aho
Jaber at fullback? Out of nowhere. Played fullback for Bears S G Ball last year.
Good to see Lene dropped. Can't see him progressing much further.

It really looks like we've just got our flegg squad treading water until the ball season is finished. We should have talent in all grades, not be sitting around waiting for juniors to get promoted

I wasn’t at the game against the Raiders, but the highlights show two tries conceded from close range near the middle and all the others thorough out right edge which didn’t look like they were doing much defending.
Scarily similar to our NRL side.
Same style of play throughout all the grades, like the riff do it so I’ve heard.

Looks like the recruiters have also been dazzled by a little slight of hand and some run with the pill under the arm, but totally ignore defensive and transition efforts.
United by Motorhead, divided over Wests Tigers!!

32-0​

Wests Tigers U20 tries achieved by:​

• William Malloy 1'
  • Herman Tofaeono 8'
  • Chris Faagutu 12'
  • Zakauri Clarke 15'
  • Kobie Wilson 20'
  • Kobie Wilson 29'

Wests Tigers U20 conversions achieved by:​

• Zakauri Clarke 9'
  • Zakauri Clarke 13'
  • Zakauri Clarke 16'