Joe Ofahengaue #240

I'd sign him, that's midtier rate. In a well beaten side he usually plays well and it's hard to look good in that situation. I'd play him as a prop, there's nothing about his play that means he should be at lock. Our problem in the forwards is Musgrove and tamou. They are pathetic defenders. I can't believe people so big can tackle so small. Hastings is stronger in tackles than them.

Also don't rate tualagi or garner at all. They're fine in teams going well but they are way too passive and average to poor defenders to win back momentum for us. I really hope Blore comes back well, he's up there with twal as our best tackler. A forward rotation of twal, joffa, pole and Uta with Blore and papalii on the edges would, or should, be top 8 competitive. At the moment 3/4s of our forwards are very weak defenders.

When pole, Dias and joffa were in we were a little more competitive against the sharks bench props. It's musgrove and tamou that are garbage tacklers. You probably could afford the luxury of playing one of them for 15 minutes a half as long as you have excellent defenders around them, but having them start together is horrendous.

39 tackles and 160 meters in attack.
Thats about the 19th time this year he has returned those types of figures.
550k is a steal.
that is what he is on now though 550k he is wanting a lot more than that. Don't think it's worth 650k etc

Maybe if others pulled their weight he wouldn’t miss any
Fair call.
Some of those misses are his though.
Don’t get me wrong our best this year, and I like him. I just don’t want us going crazy, say 580 and 2 years. He gets a pay rise for a couple and then we can re assess.

Fair call.
Some of those misses are his though.
Don’t get me wrong our best this year, and I like him. I just don’t want us going crazy, say 580 and 2 years. He gets a pay rise for a couple and then we can re assess.
I agree it has to be within reason, but we have such a lack of decent players who have a go that we really can’t be letting guys like him walk.

I agree it has to be within reason, but we have such a lack of decent players who have a go that we really can’t be letting guys like him walk.
Yep and we need his experience on the field and off. Seems like a good family man and is good with the fans. Maybe those qualities get you a little extra dollars. I would be keeping the offer low with origin bonus and a good one coz he can play that level just needs the extra incentive to get back there.

Yep and we need his experience on the field and off. Seems like a good family man and is good with the fans. Maybe those qualities get you a little extra dollars. I would be keeping the offer low with origin bonus and a good one coz he can play that level just needs the extra incentive to get back there.
Interestingly, he thinks he let himself down last year and doesn't believe he will play Origin again.

Interestingly, he thinks he let himself down last year and doesn't believe he will play Origin again.
Did he say that?
That’s a shame coz he’s a good player and would look even better this year in a better team.

Did he say that?
That’s a shame coz he’s a good player and would look even better this year in a better team.
Yeah he did, said that to play Origin they expect consistency and he didn't do that last year. He thinks that chance has now passed him by.

Yeah he did, said that to play Origin they expect consistency and he didn't do that last year. He thinks that chance has now passed him by.
As QLD are the current champions, he has to force his way back in.
Im sure we can find room for him though…

He’s certainly been more consistent but has some missed tackles and hasn’t broken the line much but that I reckon is coz he spends energy covering for reserve graders.

I think he is in career best form this year and wouldn't have let QLD down this year, I really hope we re-sign him.
Yeah, been singing Joffa's praises for a long time and want him to stay. That said, the $550k being spoken of as his current rate is big dollars for a middle forward.

Happy to take up the option at that rate, though would be very hesitant to go much, if any higher. Twice the average salary cap wage is only for an exceptional middle.

I'd be happy to overpay slightly given how many young forwards we'll have on smaller contracts - will even out to an extent.
Problem is that he's worth more to us than we are to him, so we may get taken advantage of.

Back