Josh Feledy #274

A big test for how Benji & his coaching team develop players in 2024 is Josh Feledy.

Feledy has always been known for his attack coming up through junior reps at Manly & now the Tigers. Still only 18 (turns 19 next month), he possesses very good tackle breaking ability, a knack for scoring tries & putting away his outside man with deft passing.

IMO he should not debut in NRL yet, his defence is not ready and centre is a position where a player can be found out especially against much bigger, stronger, faster men.

We saw in the U19 Origin he had a couple of poor missed tackles and that was against his own age. Yesterday in NSW Cup he had 5 missed tackles in the team's flogging.

There is no doubt he has ability but I'd rather the club really work on his physical strength, tackle technique, 1-on-1 & team defence over the pre-season to hopefully be in a position to put his hand up for a debut when he's ready.

A big test for how Benji & his coaching team develop players in 2024 is Josh Feledy.

Feledy has always been known for his attack coming up through junior reps at Manly & now the Tigers. Still only 18 (turns 19 next month), he possesses very good tackle breaking ability, a knack for scoring tries & putting away his outside man with deft passing.

IMO he should not debut in NRL yet, his defence is not ready and centre is a position where a player can be found out especially against much bigger, stronger, faster men.

We saw in the U19 Origin he had a couple of poor missed tackles and that was against his own age. Yesterday in NSW Cup he had 5 missed tackles in the team's flogging.

There is no doubt he has ability but I'd rather the club really work on his physical strength, tackle technique, 1-on-1 & team defence over the pre-season to hopefully be in a position to put his hand up for a debut when he's ready.
I agree that he isn't ready for a debut just yet. He has great awareness and ability in attack but his defence just isn't of first grade standard. hoping he improves further over the next couple weeks and over preseason, could be a real bolter for Round 1 if we don't make any other outside back signings.

Leadership qualities shine through in Josh Feledy

Author Wayne Cousins

TimestampFri 30 Apr 2021, 10:47 AM

Talented young Manly captain Josh Feledy can certainly live up to the meaning of ‘leading by example’.

The 16-year-old has crossed for an incredible 19 tries in nine games for the Sea Eagles in the U17s NSWRL competition this season.

A hard running centre who can certainly hit a hole at speed, Feledy is a real competitor who has that X-factor about him that is sure to see him continue to rise through the Sea Eagles ranks in coming seasons.

In one game alone, Feledy crossed for six tries in the 40-0 thumping of the Newcastle Knights in Cessnock. Feledy has also crossed for a double in four games and recorded a hat-trick against Balmain.

Furthermore, he has formed a deadly combination with boom five-eighth Latu Fainu, who threw the final pass in five of Feledy’s six tries against the Knights.

Sea Eagles Coach Adam McEwan said Feledy was a quality person on and off the field.

“I really like his demeanour. He is tough, he is respectful. There is no self interest in what he does. Josh is a team first guy and he does what he says he is going to do.

“He doesn’t expect the players to do anything that he is not prepared to do. He is just a tough, well natured kid.

“As for his ability, it is always comforting for a coach to have a player like Josh who can convert any half chances into points and he has certainly enjoyed running off Latu.”

Manly captain and centre Josh Feledy goes over for a try
Manly captain and centre Josh Feledy goes over for a try©Jordon Ovington

The rest is blah blah blah....

Furthermore, he has formed a deadly combination with boom five-eighth Latu Fainu, who threw the final pass in five of Feledy’s six tries against the Knights.

This is from two years ago so fingers crossed he can get that deadly combination working in the off season and put 6 on someone

Would be happy to let him have a run off the bench in the last game against Manly to show him what first grade is, without burning him against the chooks.

I agree that he isn't ready for a debut just yet. He has great awareness and ability in attack but his defence just isn't of first grade standard. hoping he improves further over the next couple weeks and over preseason, could be a real bolter for Round 1 if we don't make any other outside back signings.
Hate to be a downer but I don't think he'll ever be NRL ready.

A few forwards of moderate dimensions who had very successful careers. A number being internationals.

Wests - Graeme O'Grady, Jim Leis, Les Boyd
Balmain - Kevin Hardwick, Wayne Pearce
Easts - Bunny Reilly, Trevor Gillmeister
Sea Eagles - Anthony Watmough
Panthers - Liam Martin
Raiders - Dean Lance
Bulldog’s- Steve Folkes (RIP)

So was Kiah Cooper.... (Same Club)

Kiah currently playing in the Newcastle comp.
(Nowhere near 1st Grade)
Cooper was 23 and already likely never to have an NRL career.

I'm saying that Feledy is 18 and not the finished product yet, so the club obviously sees promise to have him this close to NRL at this age.

Based on what exactly? Personal observations or gut feeling?
Just personal observation. I'm no expert but NRL standard players have a certain make up. Last year pre season I tipped Junior Tupou to make it, this year I tipped Bula as a standout, you can check my posts. I could be entirely wrong about Feledy and I hope I am but my feeling is, even if he makes NRL, it won't be a long career. Not at centre anyway.

Outside backs do seem to be getting taller/rangier. Feledy is the opposite. Hopefully he can make the step up in the future.

Just personal observation. I'm no expert but NRL standard players have a certain make up. Last year pre season I tipped Junior Tupou to make it, this year I tipped Bula as a standout, you can check my posts. I could be entirely wrong about Feledy and I hope I am but my feeling is, even if he makes NRL, it won't be a long career. Not at centre anyway.

He's only young. It really depends on how the club develops his body. Just from looking at him he's put at least 5kg size. Talyn da Silva looking to do the same (add 5kgs) but is mindful it makes you slower and hell loose size if his speed goes. I personally thought da Silva bigger in person than TV.

Think feledy might be the same be carefull the size doesn't slow him down too much. Slight chance may play our last game.

Latest posts

Back