Junior Tupou #254

Find it interesting he wasn't prioritised by us, given our poo outside backs.

Not too disappointed though, but we absolutely must prioritise signing some established outside backs now.
I can’t see the talent people are saying he has , he was very average last year , if we don’t need him send him there now , open up a spot

From the NRL WEBSITE

Did not think Tupou was a speedster rather strong runner of the ball and I’m pretty sure Farnworth and Averillo did not do the 2023 preseason with the dolphins before playing with the Broncos and Dogs

League journalists are garbage and do not proof read their articles.

The Dolphins have bolstered their future roster with the signing of Wests Tigers speedster Junior Tupou.

The 21-year-old Tonga Interntional will join the club in 2025 on a three-year deal as another impressive backline acquisition after English centre Herbie Farnworth and former Bulldog Jake Averillo joined the club for the 2023 pre-season.
Speedster. Haha. Guy is slow and has hands covered in grease

Big,Strong,Good finisher and can break a tackle.

Terrible defence ,shakey under the high ball .

Not sure what The Phins are paying ,but we’re in no position to get in a bidding war for a winger who’s still got a lot to work on.I hope he kills it under Wayne 👍
Wingers are easily replaced,well…..for most they are ,us not so much 😂

I'd have liked to have kept him as a work in progress but not concerned over his going elsewhere for more $$$. We made an offer based on perceived value, he found a better offer- go for it. Not a crucial loss and we can get others.

The issue now is whether to look at early release for 24 and negotiate with the Dolphins? Have to say that is what I really dont like about this year in advance signings as it puts pressure on usage / value in the last year of service to the club or do they cut losses and put effort and time into another player?

Good luck to him. Seems like a good kid. He will probably go well up there. Loads of potential, needs to cut the errors out of his game. Easily replaced though.

A Phins backline of Hammer, Isaako, Averillo, Farnworth, Tupou, not looking too bad for them.

Tupou is exactly the type of athlete that Bennett chases.

Isaako is a pure athlete & ok footballer. But excels under Bennett's coaching. I imagine Tupou will become a VERY useful player under the Dolphins guidance.

It's a shame we are losing him. That said, I believe Olam offers the Tigers a more immediate improvement & allows for the flood of young players coming through to assume their role. Onatoni Large- come on down..

Tupou is exactly the type of athlete that Bennett chases.

Isaako is a pure athlete & ok footballer. But excels under Bennett's coaching. I imagine Tupou will become a VERY useful player under the Dolphins guidance.

It's a shame we are losing him. That said, I believe Olam offers the Tigers a more immediate improvement & allows for the flood of young players coming through to assume their role. Onatoni Large- come on down..
Woolf will be the man in charge when Tupou arrives.

Phins may see him as a forward they don’t need wingers or centres.
They have Isaaco, Bostock, Farnworth, Averillo, Hammer. They have a great backline.

Phins may see him as a forward they don’t need wingers or centres.
They have Isaaco, Bostock, Farnworth, Averillo, Hammer. They have a great backline.
And Tesi Niu

Sorry, but the kid is a pea heart. Can’t catch, picks and chooses when he even contests the ball. What really pissed me off is when he went through a hole with about three mins left, instead of trying to get a quick play the ball, immediately clutched at his calf cos of cramps. Didn’t even try to get up and get a quick play it. Got no time for the guy.
I’m with you on that assessment…I’d bring on Naden to replace him….he may have the odd error in his game, but he always tries hard

Last edited:
Sorry, but the kid is a pea heart. Can’t catch, picks and chooses when he even contests the ball. What really pissed me off is when he went through a hole with about three mins left, instead of trying to get a quick play the ball, immediately clutched at his calf cos of cramps. Didn’t even try to get up and get a quick play it. Got no time for the guy.
Bit harsh mate it was the cramp that took him down, wasn’t tackled when he fell.

Or they want to bolster their KOE side
Tupou is not that bad he’s damaging as a runner just struggles fielding kicks. Has talent probably needs time. Issue is we don’t have replacements and very few quality wingers are available.

Back