Juniors - Pathways General Discussion

Weekend Preview: Round 4​

In a top of the table blockbuster, the Magpies SG Ball side takes on the Raiders in Canberra this Saturday, in what is sure to be one of the games of the junior representative weekend.

In a huge boost for Wests, captain Kit Laulilii and bullocking prop, Chris Faagutu both return from injury, with Wests naming its strongest side of the season to date, just in time for one of the team’s biggest games of 2023.

After meeting Canberra in a brutal trial match prior to season kickoff, the undefeated Magpies know that this will be one heck of a contest.

With the Tigers U/19s locking in their first win of the season in dramatic fashion last weekend, they face a strong Bulldogs side at Belmore in Round 4.

Co-captain Tony Sukkar returns from a minor injury for Balmain, with the rampaging forward’s inclusion a major in for the away side.

Prop, Elijah Mataale has proved damaging over the opening three rounds of the competition, and will be looking to continue his strong run of form.

The Magpies sit first on the Harold Matthews Cup ladder after three rounds and take on the second-placed Raiders in Canberra on Saturday afternoon.

Wests secured a solid win over South Sydney last weekend, but in Round 4, take on a fast and skillful Canberra side led by impressive halfback, Jonah Anderson.

Looking forward to the imposing challenge this week, the U/17s Magpies are determined to maintain their 2023 undefeated streak.

UNE Harold Matthews Cup (U/17s) - Balmain

BYE

SLE Laurie Daley Cup (U/18s) - Macarthur Wests

The Macarthur Wests Tigers teams plays their first home games of the season this weekend, with the Laurie Daley Cup side hoping to replicate the form that brought them a big Round 3 win over Riverina.

Skipper Zac Gibson returns to the line-up this week, with a strong Monaro outfit sure to provide some challenges for Macarthur Wests.

Exciting outside back Daniel Waqa is also included on the wing after featuring for Western Suburbs’ SG Ball Cup team last weekend.

SLE Andrew Johns Cup (U/16s) - Macarthur Wests

The undefeated Andrew Johns Cup boys are presented with probably their toughest challenge to date this weekend, taking on a Monaro side which has scored two big victories consecutively.

Playing in their first home match of the year (at Kirkham Oval, Camden), the likes of skipper PJ French, Brooklyn Milford and Paul Johnson have been critical to maintaining the team’s perfect record to date.

They will be spurred on by the inclusion of lock forward, Peter Taai, who played for Wests’ Harold Matthews Cup side in Round 3.

Weekend Preview: Round 4​

In a top of the table blockbuster, the Magpies SG Ball side takes on the Raiders in Canberra this Saturday, in what is sure to be one of the games of the junior representative weekend.

In a huge boost for Wests, captain Kit Laulilii and bullocking prop, Chris Faagutu both return from injury, with Wests naming its strongest side of the season to date, just in time for one of the team’s biggest games of 2023.

After meeting Canberra in a brutal trial match prior to season kickoff, the undefeated Magpies know that this will be one heck of a contest.

With the Tigers U/19s locking in their first win of the season in dramatic fashion last weekend, they face a strong Bulldogs side at Belmore in Round 4.

Co-captain Tony Sukkar returns from a minor injury for Balmain, with the rampaging forward’s inclusion a major in for the away side.

Prop, Elijah Mataale has proved damaging over the opening three rounds of the competition, and will be looking to continue his strong run of form.

The Magpies sit first on the Harold Matthews Cup ladder after three rounds and take on the second-placed Raiders in Canberra on Saturday afternoon.

Wests secured a solid win over South Sydney last weekend, but in Round 4, take on a fast and skillful Canberra side led by impressive halfback, Jonah Anderson.

Looking forward to the imposing challenge this week, the U/17s Magpies are determined to maintain their 2023 undefeated streak.

UNE Harold Matthews Cup (U/17s) - Balmain

BYE

SLE Laurie Daley Cup (U/18s) - Macarthur Wests

The Macarthur Wests Tigers teams plays their first home games of the season this weekend, with the Laurie Daley Cup side hoping to replicate the form that brought them a big Round 3 win over Riverina.

Skipper Zac Gibson returns to the line-up this week, with a strong Monaro outfit sure to provide some challenges for Macarthur Wests.

Exciting outside back Daniel Waqa is also included on the wing after featuring for Western Suburbs’ SG Ball Cup team last weekend.

SLE Andrew Johns Cup (U/16s) - Macarthur Wests

The undefeated Andrew Johns Cup boys are presented with probably their toughest challenge to date this weekend, taking on a Monaro side which has scored two big victories consecutively.

Playing in their first home match of the year (at Kirkham Oval, Camden), the likes of skipper PJ French, Brooklyn Milford and Paul Johnson have been critical to maintaining the team’s perfect record to date.

They will be spurred on by the inclusion of lock forward, Peter Taai, who played for Wests’ Harold Matthews Cup side in Round 3.
huge games this week for Wests HM and SG Ball. very excited to see how we fare.

I’ll see how tonight goes but yeah mate flying home tomorrow night.
It’ll be a good way to kill time waiting.
Definitely give updates if I make it.

FT #SGBall Canberra 40 def Wests 12 (T. Da Silva, J. Miller tries; Z. Clarke 2/2 goals) Wests unbeaten start to the year ends with a big loss to Canberra. Da Silva central to their points creativity again. Good reminder for both Wests teams in their first years.

FT #HMatts Canberra 28 def Wests 14 (A. Karnib, L. Laulilii, K. Dupond tries; O. Large 1 goal) The new look Wests HMatts side lose their first game of the season, going down to the undefeated Raiders. Quite the rivalry between Canberra and Wests in junior reps at the moment.

FT #SGBall Canberra 40 def Wests 12 (T. Da Silva, J. Miller tries; Z. Clarke 2/2 goals) Wests unbeaten start to the year ends with a big loss to Canberra. Da Silva central to their points creativity again. Good reminder for both Wests teams in their first years.

FT #HMatts Canberra 28 def Wests 14 (A. Karnib, L. Laulilii, K. Dupond tries; O. Large 1 goal) The new look Wests HMatts side lose their first game of the season, going down to the undefeated Raiders. Quite the rivalry between Canberra and Wests in junior reps at the moment.
There’s rivalry in the same way we rival Rickys Raiders….neither team looked likely at anytime in their games today to get on top of quality opposition.

Last edited:
I was saying to a guy today, neither Canberra side had explosive X factor type players who tore us to shreds.
They just competed in every area and dominated. They won every facet. Loose balls…Canberra dived on them. We made a break…they ran us down. If one of ours made a big hit, they returned fire with two in the next set. Our blokes really weren’t that bad. They just weren’t allowed to compete.

We on the other hand do have these types. Two I want to mention are Large and Da Silva
Of the very minimal touches Onitoni Large had, he looked in another class to all on the field. He just has time….like all the greats, the game slows for him. That said, his lack of involvement in this game was substantial. He didn’t have a go for mine.
Tallyn Da Silva is a very mature player. He looks like a guy who had a bit of a run in grade footy and has returned to the juniors to help out his mates. Always yapping at his runners, his outside men, the opposition and the refs. Smart and creative… but a hothead. His binning didn’t affect the result today but it wasn’t required either.

If we want to bring a slew of juniors through together, these two will be involved. I just wonder how many others who get constantly talked up will join them…there were many guys I went to watch today, due to hype, who were not great. They were good in patches, but not what I expected.

I was saying to a guy today, neither Canberra side had explosive X factor type players who tore us to shreds.
They just competed in every area and dominated. They won every facet. Loose balls…Canberra dived on them. We made a break…they ran us down. If one of ours made a big hit, they returned fire with two in the next set. Our blokes really weren’t that bad. They just weren’t allowed to compete.

We on the other hand do have these types. Two I want to mention are Large and Da Silva
Of the very minimal touches Onitoni Large had, he looked in another class to all on the field. He just has time….like all the greats, the game slows for him. That said, his lack of involvement in this game was substantial. He didn’t have a go for mine.
Tallyn Da Silva is a very mature player. He looks like a guy who had a bit of a run in grade footy and has returned to the juniors to help out his mates. Always yapping at his runners, his outside men, the opposition and the refs. Smart and creative… but a hothead. His binning didn’t affect the result today but it wasn’t required either.

If we want to bring a slew of juniors through together, these two will be involved. I just wonder how many others who get constantly talked up will join them…there were many guys I went to watch today, due to hype, who were not great. They were good in patches, but not what I expected.
The compete is something both squads have shown in previous matches. Maybe the rivalry saw them go into their shells? Disappointing they couldn't match the intensity of the Raiders this time. Too much ego or emotion maybe involved?

The compete is something both squads have shown in previous matches. Maybe the rivalry saw them go into their shells? Disappointing they couldn't match the intensity of the Raiders this time. Too much ego or emotion maybe involved?
Really not sure.
I watched them play the Dragons a couple of weeks back and win with their defence, defending their line like lions.
Maybe a bit big headed? Maybe didn’t give this game due respect?

A terrible day for our juniors. Wests losing both grades. Losing the semi final in Andrew Johns Cup. Both women's teams losing and Balmain matts losing, only Balmain SG ball manager to get a win.

We might say we're focusing on our juniors try the bulldogs are signing elite NRL players and are still top 2-4 in every grade bar NRL. Less talk more action. Our juniors are good, but other clubs have juniors who are better, and they're not waiting and relying on them to become stars in the NRL. Recruitment at our club is non existent. It's like we either go all out for juniors or ignore local juniors and only sign players from other clubs.

We are the worst run club in the comp. And have the worst recruitment team I'm Australia too

Last edited:
Oh and didn't realise Flegg played too, and they got smashed by the dogs too. Dogs could literally smash us in every single grade this weekend.
What are they doing so well that we're failing miserably at?

Oh and didn't realise Flegg played too, and they got smashed by the dogs too. Dogs could literally smash us in every single grade this weekend.
One Gus Gould.

Although I should add they sign qualified personal into the required position.

Well putting all their players in one team to start with

No mate we beat the dogs in Ron Massey cup

Sheens has overhyped our juniors, just like he overhyped our new “style”.

We’re not the only club with decent juniors.

The club is rotten from the top. Pascoe and Lee have to go. I think even Marina Go did better as chairperson.

Staff online

Members online

Back