Juniors - Pathways General Discussion

This happens when people in power are having pissing comps instead of doing their job , so nobody knew what McDonald was doing not even Sheens who is the big talker of juniors , wankers , a local Junior from Pathways to Melbourne , ffs
We've re-signed a number of top tier junior props. We can't field them all. Some will go, we've already offered those we really wanted to keep contracts.

Just going to have a speculate at our NRL top 17 in 2027 if we retain our juniors & don't sign anyone external. Not going to happen but gives us a look at our team based on our best juniors coming through.

1 Jahream Bula 25
2 Riley Oitmann 22
3 Josh Feledy 23
4 Haemasi Makasini 20
5 Junior Tupou 25
6 Onitoni Large 20
7 Alex Conti 21
13 Justin Matamua (vc) 24
12 Isaiah Papalii 29
11 Brandon Mansfield 26
10 Fonua Pole 25
9 Tallyn Da Silva 22
8 Stefano Utoikamanu (c) 27

14 Jordan Miller 22
15 Chris Faagutu 23
16 Solomone Saukuru 23
17 Heath Mason 22

And then there is Lachlan Galvin 22, Brandon Tumeth 24, Kit Laulilii 22, Charlie Staines 27, Iverson Matai 23, Tony Sukkar 23, Starford T'oa 27, Shawn Blore 27 ... wowee.
Get in early everyone, that looks like another spoon. 😉

Been working on a bit of a pathways depth chart project of late. I think I have most of our junior rep & JF player ages correct now. Working on ages 20 & 21 for Jersey Flegg next season, this is how I see our JF side starting out next season.

PS. This is based on our 19yos (Tallyn, Kit etc) still playing SG Ball until the season ends.

@Tiger_Fanatic3 would appreciate the feedback of your mate NBWT & also yours @KingRobbie .

Next season I see our Flegg team mainly 1st season (20yo) players as the quality of our bottom agers this season just isn't there. Also I have left out Justin Matamua who will still be eligible.

The ones with * are the players likely to feature in NSW Cup given the club has earmarked them with Dev or T&T contracts this year.

JERSEY FLEGG 2024
FB: Tino Tavana 20
WG: Ofele Lene 20
WG: Will Malloy 20
CE: Josh Feledy* 20
CE: Solomone Saukuru* 20
5/8: Oliver Lawry 20
HB: Iverson Matai* 20
LK: Cayne Nicholas 21
2R: Brandon Tumeth* 21
2R: Tony Sukkar* 20
FR: Herman Tofaeono 21
FR: Chris Fa'agutu* 20
HK: Bailey Hodges 21

RES: Sione Vaihu 21
RES: Jackson Owen 21
RES: Elijah Mataale 20
RES: Zak Clarke 20
RES: Harrison Valevatu 20

Then here are the cream 19yos next season that I see moving up to Flegg after SG Ball commitments:

Navren Willett
Lachlan Galvin
Heath Mason
Kit Laulilii
Jordan Miller
Tallyn Da Silva
To help us look ahead, I've created a team of our best SG Ball talent for 2024 if we did a combined Magpies & Tigers team. These kids will be either 18 or 19 next year with their age in '24 indicated.

PS. Obviously some of these kids like Da Silva will play higher grades but it just shows our strength in this age group.

SG BALL ALL-STARS 2024
FB: Heath Mason 19
WG: Riley Oitmann 18
WG: Daniel Waqa 19
CE: William Craig 19
CE: Navren Willett 19
5/8: Lachlan Galvin 19
HB: Alex Conti 18
LK: Kit Laulilii 19
2R: Sosefo Finau 19
2R: Keenan Lawandos 19
FR: Jordan Miller 19
FR: Lipina Ata 19
HK: Tallyn Da Silva 19

RES: Cameron Kanaan 19
RES: Luke Laulilii 18
RES: Mikey Nasser 18
RES: Marc Tannous 18
RES: Edwin Langi 18
RES: Dougie Tuala 18
RES: Ryan Polsen 19
RES: Aaron Keppie 18
RES: Denzel Schaafhausen-Mino 18
RES: Brendan Naicori 19

I'll do a Harold Matts team over the weekend.

From the couple of games I’ve watched on the NSWRL live stream, I believe Heath Mason, Lachlan Galvin and Riley Oiitmann are three of our better prospects.
I know there has been suggestions Mason and Galvin are a touch on the small side and may be held back from progressing through the grades too quickly because of it.
Very happy to hear Mason is making his Flegg debut this weekend, he looks a natural footballer with the speed and toughness to go with it.
Galvin looks to have that tall wirey build that will fill out very well given time. Not certain he will have the speed required to remain as a 5/8 long term, but he seems to have a good step and able to break one on one tackles very easily
Does anyone happen to have approximate height & weight for these players and any further comments they can add about them ?

Last edited:
From the couple of games I’ve watched on the NSWRL live stream, I believe Heath Mason, Lachlan Galvin and Riley Oiitmann are three of our better prospects.
I know there has been suggestions Mason and Galvin are a touch on the small side and may be held back from progressing through the grades too quickly because of it.
Very happy to hear Mason is making his Flegg debut this weekend, he looks a natural footballer with the speed and toughness to go with it.
Galvin looks to have that tall wirey build that will fill out very well given time. Not certain he will have the speed required to remain as a 5/8 long term, but he seems to have a good step and able to break one on one tackles very easily
Does anyone happen to have approximate height & weight for these players and any further comments they can add about them ?
good judgement. Mason, Galvin and Oitmann are all very exciting prospects.

Mason has always been a half but transitioned to fullback in the Magpies system for this year of Ball to accommodate Galvin moving back to the halves. quick and elusive, he’s regarded in the system as being able to pick and take the right option just about every time. I’d say it’s likely you’ll see him move back to 6 outside Keppie given Galvin should transition to an edge and L. Laulili’i will progress to ball next year.

Galvin is an elite prospect. the club sees him as a backrower which will slow his transition to first grade, but he is without doubt a future first grader. brilliant pair of hands, can leap in the air like Nanai, possesses the strength to break tackles and his kicking game is brilliant. game awareness is on par with Da Silva, who we have all seen progress thru the grades.

the only reason Mason and Galvin didn’t do preseason this year is because they’re doing their HSC. you’ll see them link with the first grade side come November.

Oitmann is an interesting one given he was in the undefeated HM squad but instead played AJ Cup and tore it up. he’s locked up at the club for a few years and is similar to a Papenhuyzen in terms of body type. capable at both wing and centre, being picked in the Junior Blues outlines his pedigree, but at this point I’m not sure where he stands. you’d think with Colquhoun falling down the pecking order that he’ll snag a spot on the wing in Ball next year, but who knows? a lot to play out.

The Melbourne Storm has snuck under our guard to sign one of our 17yo CUBS Prop Cooper Clarke, our WM Harold Matts Players Player.

A few interesting points in this article:

- His manager alluded to us dropping the ball when Warren McDonnell departed recently & Storm swooped in. I hope we have now sorted who is looking after recruitment & retention for pathways. @cochise did this come up in the chat with Matthew Betsey on Saturday?

- His manager believes the Macarthur region will attract the attention of most NRL recruiters due to the vast talent pool.

It’s been a big week for two of Macarthur rugby league’s rising young stars.

On Saturday night, 18-year-old East Campbelltown junior Tallyn Da Silva debuted for Wests Tigers in their defeat to the Melbourne Storm at Campbelltown Stadium.

Then days later, the Storm struck again. Only this time to announce the signing of Tigers pathway player Cooper Clarke to a three-year deal.

Still only 16, the Eagle Vale St Andrews prop and older brother Zak have been part of the Wests’ development program for several seasons.

But with youngsters like Cooper on the rise amid Macarthur’s rapidly expanding footprint, the Tigers’ task of retaining the best continues to intensify.

Lombardi Sports player manager and director Luke Lombardi is witnessing the transition first hand.

“I manage both the Clarke boys and we dealt with Melbourne pathways co-ordinator Tim Glasby,” said Lombardi.

“From my understanding Melbourne has talent scouts across the country, and they approached me after seeing Cooper play for Wests in the Harold Matts.

“From there we had discussions and because Copper was unsigned it worked out well.”

According to Lombardi the Storm’s approach came with a touch of good fortune.

“Originally we spoke to Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell but then he left,” he said.

“The Tigers had good intentions, but in the transition the Storm deal advanced and that’s when Cooper made up his mind.

“He had no intention of leaving, but when a successful club like the Storm comes knocking with a genuine pathway to the NRL you have to take notice.”

Signed for three years, Cooper’s journey towards the NRL kicks off next year in Queensland where he’ll join the Storm feeder system while completing his schooling on the Sunshine Coast.

“He sat down with his family and then we discussed the pros and cons of the move,” Lombardi said.

“It’s not going to be easy, but Melbourne isn’t in the market to stockpile talent, they might recruit a handful of kids Cooper’s age once a year, so the interest is genuine.

“From 2025 he’ll relocate to Melbourne and continue with the Storm junior reps, then at year's end he’ll join the NRL squad for pre-season training.”

Down the track, Lombardi believes the Macarthur area will only continue to attract the attention of NRL clubs.

“It’s not just the Storm. I think in general there’s scope for clubs to broaden their horizon and obviously local juniors are important, and at the moment, the Campbelltown area is producing a lot of quality youngsters.”
I don't see anyone mention Zac Clarke in their sides?
I have been impressed with him on the odd occasion I have seen him play. Second row and a good goal kicker for Jersey Flegg.

The last chance they would have had to see him play was round 8 of HM Cup - 25th March.
We have had at least 3 months to counter this.
Is the boy worth it?
If yes, thats a failure of this new system we boast about.

Probably one of the reasons Macca is gone.

What I endeavour to do also is predict our NSW Cup team for next season based on our top 30 squad & see where the holes are that we'll really need to recruit for with NSW Cup contracts.

I believe the club will be mindful of progressing our talented kids too quickly into grade so most of them can progress together in a winning culture.

The outliers being Da Silva, Faagutu, Feledy, Sukkar, Matai, Tumeth who will 1) be physically ready & 2) have the ability.

And why I think our recruitment will be focused mainly on experienced, mid to late 20s aged players to fill the gaps that exist in our NSW Cup depth (unless they are potential starts like Fainu or Sanders).
Great effort pulling it together.

From what I have seen I don’t think either Tumeth or Sukkar will be long term first graders. Hopefully Sukkar steps up to an older group next year and show more than Tumeth has this year.

Feledy should be being exposed to NSW cup over the rest of this year.

In terms of other props, I've had a look and we have the following in the 17-19yo bracket:

Jordan Miller, Chris Faagutu, Tony Sukkar, Lipina Ata, Adam Mehrez, Aidan Harb, Michael Coady from Forbes, PJ French, Dougie Tuala, Edwin Langi, Ryan Polsen, Kohan Lewis & a few others.

So we are bound to lose a few.
What chance we pick the wrong ones and the best players end up elsewhere?

Is it our identification that is the problem, or our ability to develop them?

What chance we pick the wrong ones and the best players end up elsewhere?

Is it our identification that is the problem, or our ability to develop them?
It’s inevitable this will happen at times. It’s just impossible to get every decision correct when forecasting into the future.

If we get the majority of the decisions right and the pipeline we are building starts continuously producing talent we will be fine.

Most interesting thing out of the recent Betsy interview was that it’s a free for all until the kids reach the NRL contracts. So these kids can go to the highest bidder. Anybody still wondering why Roosters and Storm are always up there?
Didn't see the interview why is it a free for all

There was talk up here in Brisbane amongst people that are close to Chris Faagutu a few weeks ago that Melbourne were interested in signing him possibly when his contract with us is up in 25 or even trying to see if he can get a early release next year to join them. They've said he's told them that he wants to stay loyal to WT which is a good sign for us if what they're saying is true

Latest posts

Members online

Back